Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's more exciting to watch? NASCAR or Offshore? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143528-whats-more-exciting-watch-nascar-offshore.html)

Revd Up 10-24-2006 09:20 PM

Re: What's more exciting to watch? NASCAR or Offshore?

What about the NHRA? Nothing like a Top Fueler creating a 7000 hp earthquake. I Like all forms of racing, but haven't found anything close to the effect of a top fuel Dragster or Funny Car. Gives me goose bumps.

Pete B 10-24-2006 09:56 PM

Check out Drag boat racing then, top fuel hydro, it is out of control.
7000hp nitro, 1/4 mile roostertails, and done in 5 sec or less.

but you have be quick with the camera , and ready to shoot.

Check out H20- throttle-up. com
they have some cool shots of all types of boats racing. it's a awesome Magazine

Great offshore coverage !!!!!

Revd Up 10-24-2006 11:11 PM

I have seen some drag boat races. But only ran 1/8 mile. :( I would like to see the 1/4 mile. Only have seen that on TV, but had the volume cranked!

BODYSHOT1 10-25-2006 07:24 AM

I hear ya man...big fan of the NHRA. Their shows on ESPN2 are top notch as well.

Top Fuelers & Floppers make your hair stand up!!... :D

Originally Posted by Revd Up
What about the NHRA? Nothing like a Top Fueler creating a 7000 hp earthquake. I Like all forms of racing, but haven't found anything close to the effect of a top fuel Dragster or Funny Car. Gives me goose bumps.

Comanche3Six 10-25-2006 03:41 PM

Open Ocean Racing

littlenige 10-26-2006 06:12 AM

I think it depends whether you are watching a recording of an event or īliveī. I think recordings of either sport can be equally rewarding, but it depends on the overall coverage for me. The key is the amount of cameras involved. If there are cameras on board offshore boats or Nascar machines, these combined with the other angles can really grip the viewer. Distant repetitive angles are boring. Get me into the thick of the action and itīs much more involving.

If weīre talking live events I suspect that in reality Nascar is possibly more exciting. I have never been to a Nascar event (donīt have too many of them in Spain, itīs more tomato throwing and being chased by bulls) but would imagine that the noise alone would be pretty awesome. Of course the start of an offshore race for me is fantastic, but I have to be honest and say that unless Iīm out on the water at a turn mark, then seeing a trickle of boats come by in intervals (a lot of which often surcumb to mechanical failure) is not such a spectacle. Thatīs been the problem for years - too few boats and too many breakdowns. Who wants to see a race where 3 boats finish?? Chances are if 40 cars start a race, then I would imagine at least 20 to 30 would finish, no??

And someone earlier mentioned top fuel drag racing - that is one sport that words cannot define - itīs something you FEEL! Absolutely blew me away when I saw it! Something I recommend that everyone sees at least once in their lifetime!!

NASCAT 10-26-2006 10:34 AM

My Avatar & screen name should give away my answer but to be honest w/ you I've been traveling the NASCAR circuit for 14yrs & am about to witness my fist Offshore Race in KW.

My initial response would be NASCAR if we are talking about viewing on TV for all the obvious reasons but viewing them live might tell a different story.

Again attending a race allows one to see the race from the stands, pits, garage, different turns etc, etc (assuming one has the proper credentials) where as an Offshore race you can only see the boats when they are running near where you are watching from unless you are on board a boat & can move around. You can also scan team communications which I'm not sure is available to Offshore spectators.

Overall I believe that NASCAR offers more to the fans b/c of the size & popularity of the sport whether it be from the grandstands or your easy chair but that didn't happen overnight. NASCAR doesn't have the same financial struggles that Offshore does which obviously makes a huge difference.

Personally I believe I have the best seat in the house as a Spotter w/ the ability to see the entire racetrack from above often anticipating wrecks before they even happen. On the downside, no food, drink, heat, A/C or instant replay! Unfortunately for the fans it's difficult for them to see all the way around Dover b/c the horse track in the middle is above the racing surface.

Ultimately I will reserve my final comment until my return from KW something I'm very much looking forward to. I get to be the fan & ask all the silly questions everyone asks the competitors for a change.

Obviously it's personal preference when you are speaking more exciting to watch if you haven't actually attend each live as well as watched them both on the boob tube!

Just one mans $.02

dammmagnum 10-26-2006 02:06 PM

I've been a fan of Nascar and Offshore racing for a lot of years. since the mid 70s. Raced in the APBA Production classes .

Nascar is on prime TV almost every weekend along with the most of the supporting race classes. local and National Newspapers all have stories and results every week about Nascar or some type of auto racing.
With Offshore Racing, its almost impossible to find it on taped TV. Pretty ,much no newspapers local or National cover offshore racing news including the Miami papers.
Years ago at least ESPN/Speed did some shows on Offshore Racing, now even that is pretty much gone.
Nascar/Auto racing is there in front of us each weekend and most days
Offshore Racing is no way to be found . How can people find it exciting when they can't even see it.
For years all the offshore Racing bodies(New and Old) have talked about how their group was going to promote the Sport of Offshore racing, Change the courses to race along the beaches for better viewing, get the fans going,,better TV coverage, Etc, Etc. What do we have? The media coverage is pretty much no better today then 10 or 20 yrs ago.
Nascar on the other hand, is right on your TV every weekend and even during the week with support shows.
I like all forms of motor racing. Just wish that Offshore would get their act together and put a good package for everyone to see , or at least make a move to try and get viewers.
Thank you
jim

gdfatha 10-26-2006 03:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My favorite is Unlimited Hydrplanes at Detroit. For a while it was a parade with Bud leading/winning every race with Vilwock driving..

The best course??? Detroit...The best seating??? Roostertail Turn..

And the only race I have seen (Offshore) where you knew the winners were Marathon and St Cloud..

Racegirl3 10-26-2006 04:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
For years all the offshore Racing bodies(New and Old) have talked about how their group was going to promote the Sport of Offshore racing, Change the courses to race along the beaches for better viewing, get the fans going,,better TV coverage, Etc, Etc. What do we have? jim

What do we have? We have OPA :D These guys just got started ... give them a few more years :cool: