Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OK have narrowed down my choices (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143631-ok-have-narrowed-down-my-choices.html)

berns29scarab 10-25-2006 09:03 AM

Re: OK have narrowed down my choices

Originally Posted by insptech
Even though I'm a Formula guy that Cig sounds like the one I would go for. You might get another 200 hours on those motors with just a valvespring replacement. I don't think you'd be happy in the 28 Pantera and I would be concerned with balance on that boat with 2 BB Chevys back there. That hull runs great with 1 big motor back there, but 2 seems like the weight would be all wrong. Plus I suspect it is pretty tight back there to work on.
The Formula is a great boat but the motors and resale on the Cig just seems better. Don't know much about that Scarab, the 29 and 38 are pretty nice, some people get freaked about a company or line no longer in business so resale might be an issue there. All in all sounds like you have a pretty nice set of choices, good luck.

Thanks Ted appreciate it.

Tazz 10-25-2006 09:08 AM

I agree the Cig, but damn 400 hrs is high :eek:

Rippem 10-25-2006 09:10 AM

If that's the 33 AVS at LOTO that is the strongest value. LOW time, relatively fast with 502's, mint, extras, trailer, and a hull that PB RAVED ABOUT TWICE. "Performing like a much bigger boat in the ocean" is what I remember. I wouldn't worry about being out of production...there will always be people who know what that boat is about. ;)

If I was making a choice today I would head directly for the 33 AVS

I have checked them out they were nicely done with quality vendors and have a nice open cabin feel, and have a real nice "usability" about them in terms of cockpit/sunpad/platform

berns29scarab 10-25-2006 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rippem
If that's the 33 AVS at LOTO that is the strongest value. LOW time, relatively fast with 502's, mint, extras, trailer, and a hull that PB RAVED ABOUT TWICE. "Performing like a much bigger boat in the ocean" is what I remember. I wouldn't worry about being out of production...there will always be people who know what that boat is about. ;)

If I was making a choice today I would head directly for the 33 AVS

I have checked them out they were nicely done with quality vendors and have a nice open cabin feel, and have a real nice "usability" about them in terms of cockpit/sunpad/platform

No its not the scarab at loto its in Pensicola Fla the one at Loto is awesome but a lil outta my price range

hammer01 10-25-2006 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
now remember its going to be a trailer queen, used primarily as a bay boat but plan on spending some time running Atlantic here of the Jersey shore

do you plan on overnighting very much, i.e. needing amenities down below such as shorepower, refrig, tv/electronics, etc with sep head area or not a necessity. i think these things help me to decide. i would also throw a donzi 33zx and maybe the 32 active thunder in there if any of these types of amenities would be of interest because they offer much more overnightability and great performance. can be found in this price range as well. there are a few on the classifieds as well. if not wanting to expand, i would look at the cig with the thoughts of 15k min going into it to make it "bulletproof dependable" (motors and drives) good luck hammer

Rippem 10-25-2006 09:27 AM

the comments about the 33 AVS performance and layout still apply.

you can't buy that LOTO one for your limit ??? If you could that's great buy.

regardless if $ are an issue I'd buy the lowest time drivetrains even if the boat needed cosmetics.

Stormrider 10-25-2006 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
i spoke with Tres and Phil@ Lipship and you can either find the sweet spot, add a lil weight to the nose or have some minor work done to hull to correct...

I like the cig w/ the blue motors.
If a compression and leak down work out, you could probably hold off a year before a rebuild.
But the proper way to fix the porpoising it to correct the hull.
I'd like to see what that $ would be first.
That would be a major point on resale if you had that done.

Rippem 10-25-2006 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stormrider
you could probably hold off a year before a rebuild.
But the proper way to fix the porpoising it to correct the hull.

That would be a major point on resale if you had that done.

you'd never get the $ back unless that boat is cheap cheap

yea I'd buy a porpoising hull with potentially tired power and spend a ton of out of pocket $ just to belong to the Cig club...

better rebuild those drives too...

NOT :rolleyes:

stecz20 10-25-2006 10:34 AM

bernie is not worthy of a cig... he does not respect the big red one.. i say you buy a fountain and go to your people..... :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

hey bern, me and my buddy were talking about you last night.. your gonna buy whatever you get the best deal on, you a car salesman, you're half a scumbag.. stop with all these comps, you're wasting my brain space.... :evilb: :evilb:

sy goldberg 10-25-2006 10:40 AM

Being a used car dealer he should know how to turn back the hour meters. :evilb: :evilb: :evilb: