Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally! >

Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally!

Notices

Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally!

Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally!

Originally Posted by Dblvanos
I have been a progressive adjuster and am now an agent. It is all about your adjuster, plain and simple. A good agent will help you with your claim by giving you insight into the claims process. Plus they will call land raise cain on your behalf if needed.
BS
Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dean
Get a insurance co that will protect you fully.... it just not about the boat..... just my opinion.... based in 20+ years of BS
Old 10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
BS
CR has it right.

You are all fooling yourselves on how much the agent cares about you. They care about their paychecks and premium renewals.

Your goal as a insured should be to get the best coverage available at the lowest cost. All insurance companies will try to limit losses by denying claims/ paying lower repair/replacement costs.

The whole industry should go to the Geico idea with no agents and lower costs. I know a few agents personally and they all gripe about making less money than in years past because clients are shopping around. The best thing is to annually shop all of your insurance needs.

I think many industries would benefit greatly by cutting out the middleman. Cars and Boats should be sold like groceries (the price marked is the price paid, real price not MSRP). Insurance agents/ realtors should be eliminated just like stock brokers are being weeded out now. Simplify the world and keep more money in the people's pockets!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
CR has it right.

The best thing is to annually shop all of your insurance needs.

I think many industries would benefit greatly by cutting out the middleman. Cars and Boats should be sold like groceries (the price marked is the price paid, real price not MSRP). Insurance agents/ realtors should be eliminated just like stock brokers are being weeded out now. Simplify the world and keep more money in the people's pockets!

YES and YES!

I shopped around last winter and switched from BoatUS to Progressive and saved quite a bit on an agreed value policy. As far as claims are concerned, my boat is 17 years old so it's hard to insure for partial loss at a reasonable price. Boat US had a 10% per year of age deprecation on partial loss claims. 17 years old = 170%. Does that mean I would owe them money? Basically no partial losses covered on 10 years old or more. Also, to renew with Boat US I would have to have the boat surveyed.
Progressive does cover a partial loss, it was cheaper and the boat did not require a survey.

Last edited by Shah Mat; 10-26-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:32 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
CR has it right.

You are all fooling yourselves on how much the agent cares about you. They care about their paychecks and premium renewals.

Your goal as a insured should be to get the best coverage available at the lowest cost. All insurance companies will try to limit losses by denying claims/ paying lower repair/replacement costs.

The whole industry should go to the Geico idea with no agents and lower costs. I know a few agents personally and they all gripe about making less money than in years past because clients are shopping around. The best thing is to annually shop all of your insurance needs.

In the case of my claim, the Progressive adjuster knew the Mercruiser dealer I took my boat to, they had worked together for many years, whatever the dealer said was good enough for the adjuster, based on their relationship.

Another plus in my case was that there are so many boats in the Clear Lake, TX area that the adjuster specialized in marine claims only.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Progressive Direct and have had 2 claims in the past 2 years 1 yr and 1 day apart. My adjuster was the same on both claims and he specialized in marine claims. He was from the Clearlake area also. Anyway 2 claims and my renewal went down both years by $350 total. I have no agent.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Well,
I didn't think my post would start such a heated debate about Progressive boat insurance, whew!
Sounds like there are 2 sides to this story, and I appreicate everyone's input. And like alot of issues in life, alot depends on the person you have to deal with, (IE Agent, or Adjuster). And as far as making claims, I've never had to make a boating claim, so I've never had to deal with it, BUT I still have faith in my agent, and that's the way I'm going, good or bad! Like I said earlier, I'm just happy to get reasonable insurance in Florida period!
Dean
Old 10-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

TO JUPITER SUNSATION: That's a great idea,I will now collect my social security and ride off into the sunset.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
TO JUPITER SUNSATION: That's a great idea,I will now collect my social security and ride off into the sunset.

I thought you done that a long time ago, after all you are 94

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I Make More Money By Cashing In Later !

Quick Reply: Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.