Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bought used boat.....Sales tax question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143687-bought-used-boat-sales-tax-question.html)

mikesufka 10-25-2006 06:44 PM

Bought used boat.....Sales tax question

Gentleman -

Does anyone know the law regarding a used boat and sales tax?

If I buy a used boat, out of state, do I have to pay sales tax? I was under the impression that if I bought it from an individual, I didn't have to pay sales tax. If I bought it from a dealer, than I did have to pay sales tax?

I live in MN and bought the boat from a guy in New York. A brokerage firm in Miami brokered the deal.

Thanks,

Mike

Panther 10-25-2006 06:54 PM

Re: Bought used boat.....Sales tax question

I guess it depends on the MN laws... In NJ you show the DMV your bill of sale when you register the boat and pay the taxes on the spot....

Tony Montana 10-25-2006 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
I guess it depends on the MN laws... In NJ you show the DMV your bill of sale when you register the boat and pay the taxes on the spot....

Yea what he said. You don't pay till you register

Reds Outlaw 10-25-2006 06:59 PM

In Vt you pay the tax here if its more than what you paid in that state. Either way you look at it you may have to pay the tax depending on you state.

Red

BY U BOY 10-25-2006 07:41 PM

In Louisiana You Only Pay Tax On The Trailer

buck183 10-25-2006 07:45 PM

In Arkansas you don't pay ANY sales tax on a used boat. Doesn't matter if it came from a dealer or an individual. :cool:

t500hps 10-25-2006 07:45 PM

In VA you don't pay "sales tax" but you do pay a tax when registering it of roughly 3% (same difference)

Panther 10-25-2006 07:49 PM

I believe Deleware is anothere state were you don't pay sales tax on boats? Lots of people would register their big boats out of Deleware and keep it in Jersey if I recall...that is until the state police caught up with them for harboring the boat in NJ for an extended period of time... :eek: The owners had to leave or register and pay up! :eek:

dagah2x 10-25-2006 07:50 PM

In my county in NY its 8.25% new, used, dealer, or individual..... :mad:

t500hps 10-25-2006 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
I believe Deleware is anothere state were you don't pay sales tax on boats? Lots of people would register their big boats out of Deleware and keep it in Jersey if I recall...that is until the state police caught up with them for harboring the boat in NJ for an extended period of time... :eek: The owners had to leave or register and pay up! :eek:

It is...mine is registered in Delaware. But to do it "legally" I had to incorporate there.
A company called "The Yacht Registry" set it all up for me.