surge brakes or electric over hydraulic >

surge brakes or electric over hydraulic

Notices

surge brakes or electric over hydraulic

Old 10-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default surge brakes or electric over hydraulic

pricing triple axle trailers for a Formula 353 Fastec. will be used 2-3 times per week and dunked in salt water. whats the pros and cons
Old 10-28-2006, 09:06 AM
JC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: surge brakes or electric over hydraulic

Elect. over hyd is the ONLY way to go if you want stopping power...
Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 38 Fountain on a Myco with Electric over Hyd. brakes. Launched our boat 25 times in brackish and salt water this season. No problems. Best investment I made for trailering a boat. Check your local regulations. Some states require them.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Registered

I agree electric over hydraulic is the way to go. The old style drum brakes ( Surge Style) would always hold water and therfore rust out faster. Electric over hydraulic disc brakes will not lock up either. Also it is easier to get a hose in there and wash of the rotors and calipers then drums. I ordered my new trailer with 16.5 inch wheels also. I have a duel axel trailer and have noticed the difference in the way it tows over the toad on long hauls over the standard smaller wheels. If you are building a new trailer it is always easier to do it right the first time. Do not underbuild it. Get the biggest axels you can and definatly go with the disc electric over hydraulic brakes. I built a 10,500 lb GVW trailer for a 5,000 lb boat. And it was definatly worth every penny...
Old 10-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Registered

elec over hydralic, and you will never know your trailer is even back there.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Titan
I agree electric over hydraulic is the way to go. The old style drum brakes ( Surge Style) would always hold water and therfore rust out faster. Electric over hydraulic disc brakes will not lock up either. Also it is easier to get a hose in there and wash of the rotors and calipers then drums. I ordered my new trailer with 16.5 inch wheels also. I have a duel axel trailer and have noticed the difference in the way it tows over the toad on long hauls over the standard smaller wheels. If you are building a new trailer it is always easier to do it right the first time. Do not underbuild it. Get the biggest axels you can and definatly go with the disc electric over hydraulic brakes. I built a 10,500 lb GVW trailer for a 5,000 lb boat. And it was definatly worth every penny...
either with surge or elec over hydraulic gettin disc style with all stainless cadium components
Old 10-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered

Just got done converting my surge brake/disc brake setup over to elec. over hyd./disc brake. The problem I had with the surge brakes with disc brakes is when towing in hilly/mountain areas, the brakes would stay engaged going down hills for long periods of time. The calipers got so hot that the rubber boots for the caliper pistons burnt up. The wheel bearings seized on the axle spindle. Two of my brake lines actually melted off where they screw into the caliper. I ended up getting all new brake lines going to all wheels, new rotors, new calipers and converted it to elec. over hydraulic. I just towed with it for the first time last weekend and no problems at all. Wish my trailer originally had this setup.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:15 PM
VIP Member

Most of the better trailers that have hydraulic surge are using disc brakes.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:18 PM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

Make sure you have a cut off switch for the surge brakes. You can burn them up going down long hills.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Bernie for a good electric box you are looking at $700 for disc brakes. Carlise and Dexter make one. We are a distributor for the Carlisle. YOU HAVE TO USE 1600 PSI box with disc brakes. Do not use a 1000 psi box or you will have problems lagging and not enough pressure. Also 5500-6500 torsion axles use a 12 inch disc brake. 3500 Torflex use 10 inch brakes. All the advice I have been giving you has been reiterated by these owners as well. I also like stainless braided lines instead of plastic. Once again you get what you pay for. Axles, brake module, stainless lines and a good quality wheel and tire you are at $3850 and you have not even bought the metal to build the trailer.(That is with a spare) dual axle.

I goofed on that number I charged 7 aluminum wheel and tires with a dual axle assembly. But u get the idea.

Quick Reply: surge brakes or electric over hydraulic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.