Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   family boating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143944-family-boating.html)

clc900 10-29-2006 03:45 PM

family boating

I am trying to decide on a nice boat for the family to get out and enjoy some time on the water next summer. I hate to say it but Im torn between your typical open bow, ski/tube boat and a true offshore 38 footer. Most of our time will be 50-50 between lake Michigan and smaller inland lakes, of course depending on the boat we select. You guys with offshore rigs and young kids under six, how do you spend most of your time on the water. I see our kids swimming and riding on the tube if we went with a smaller ski boat. What would they be doing if we had a 38' Top Gun?? What has your experiences been??

Thanks!

Too Old 10-29-2006 03:51 PM

Re: family boating

Originally Posted by clc900
I am trying to decide on a nice boat for the family to get out and enjoy some time on the water next summer. I hate to say it but Im torn between your typical open bow, ski/tube boat and a true offshore 38 footer. Most of our time will be 50-50 between lake Michigan and smaller inland lakes, of course depending on the boat we select. You guys with offshore rigs and young kids under six, how do you spend most of your time on the water. I see our kids swimming and riding on the tube if we went with a smaller ski boat. What would they be doing if we had a 38' Top Gun?? What has your experiences been??

Thanks!

My experience has been that kids enjoy any boat.

Just take them along! ;)

TeamSaris 10-29-2006 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by TRICK
My experience has been that kids enjoy any boat.

Just take them along! ;)

We like them even more when there big and fast. :D

tblrklakemo 10-29-2006 04:33 PM

How about one of the many 27-29 footers? They can pretty tough in the open water, and most of them are available with ski tow and silent choice.

kjm5125 10-29-2006 04:53 PM

A few years back I had a 23' Mastercraft Maristar. This is a good all around family sportboat as you can tube and ski. It is not a tournament ski boat, but you can do some serious recreational salom skiing and have a great time tubing. I actually used the boat on Lake Erie and we skied inside the Cleveland breakwall. Since then I had a Formula 292 Fastech and I currently have a 382 Fastech. On the 292 the tubing was not good and I never even attempted skiing. The boat/gear/engine set up was not appropriate as I constantly had to work the throttles. Simply put, high performance offshore boats are not design for these type of activities. You'll just have to decide what's right for you and your family.

Jupiter Sunsation 10-29-2006 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by clc900

Thanks!

Look at a Sunsation Mid Cabin open bow. The company is based out of Michigan and you won't be disappointed with the boat or the company. I have a 32 MCOB that I have run in several poker runs and have taken to the Bahamas twice.

www.sunsationboats.com

jeff32 10-29-2006 06:49 PM

I have 3 daughters: 6, 4 and 1 1/2 years old. In my opinion, at least with my child, they are still a little too young to go skiing and water tubing all by themselves. Not that it is impossible, but for now, I think it is more like having the bigger boat, let them play in cabin with theirs toys when they feel like it, stop at a beach , let them play again, and not worry about the size of the waves or how hard the wind blows, so on and so on... I know for sure in 4-5 6 years ahead, they'll be more confident with water and then it will probably become time to go back to a smaller boat for such watersports. By then, I'll have the chance to run the big boat, and have no regret to go back to smaller boat... But that's just my opinion!

Expensive Date 10-29-2006 11:01 PM

I have a 14 year old and 10 year old triplets first they will like any boat Its just going some where different and the time that spent with them. and the confidence that they get learning how to do things like tying an line cleaning boat,etc
Buy what you want the kids probably wont care

Griff 10-30-2006 12:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
They will have fun no matter what you get. Make sure you're happy with it and they will be too. I would suggest it have some kind of cabin. Great for naps at the end of the day. I have a 28 Pantera. I wish it had a little more freeboard for the kids, but thats about it. I have 5 & 2 year old boys. The 5 year old was on the boat at 4 months and his brother at about 11 months. They love boating and love the water.

Boomer 880 10-30-2006 07:11 AM

We just sold our 40 Hustler (kept on Lake Michigan) to spend more time doing kids stuff on Lake Michigan and interior lakes. The performance boat is great, but when you have 5 in your family and want to bring guests, there is little room for everyone to hang out. We were always cramped when we tried to have lunch out on the water. Also, when the weather (e.g. very rough water) is bad on the big pond, we found ourselves missing a day of boating, rather than going to the Chain or ???

We are going to get a 25-27 bowrider, so we can hit the big lake on nice days, trailer to the city, and also hit many smaller lakes for long weekends. Also, we can keep the smaller boat at the house, rather than keeping it at NorthPoint.

Either way, kids love to be on the water!!!