Notices

Dockuminium / Rackuminium

Old 10-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dockuminium / Rackuminium

Has anyone had any experiences or (experienced) opinions?

My Marina is considering offering ownership for rack n' store. Here in Pinellas county, all the developers are buying up space on the waterfront and access is/will be an issue in the future.

It's a brand new marina I'm in and it is the best I've kept my boat at.

If anyone has or is doing this - I have no idea how this works. I do own a timeshre in Cabo whicvh might be similar...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dockuminium / Rackuminium

I just reserved a unit at the Tampa Harbour Yacht Club (fka Bayside Marina) for the same reason - with the loss of the Tierra Verde high and dry, there are fewer and fewer rack storage facilities available. I would not look at it as an "investment" that will appreciate, rather an opportunity to secure long term storage. THYC offered many different sizes - I reserved a 12 x 12 x 40 unit. Its just like purchasing a condominium - you own the "air rights" to your space and pay a monthly maintenance fee.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do a search on "Dockominiums" there were a few threads on this with great info.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

I have some experience with what you're talking about. It may be the only way to know you'll have access to the water, unless you live on it. And the sooner you buy, typically the lower the price you'll pay.

My sincere advice is to receive and READ the Association Documents very carefully before you close or irrevocably commit money. Pay close attention to the rights of the developer versus the owners. Also who controls what and when.

Remember, this is just like buying a condo. Once you're in, others can have some control over your wallet.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

I'm attending a presentation this wed. I spoke to the owner and the intial price does not look too bad.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be the only way to secure a decent space. I looked at getting a rack at The Port in FTL, where everglades used to be. Make sure the building is hurricane proof and they have good management. The new ones are computer operated. YCOA also looks pretty cool with locations all over florida, except miami, ftl area.