Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Young Performance 750- Latest engine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143993-young-performance-750-latest-engine.html)

thunderusone 11-03-2006 07:18 AM

Re: Young Performance 750- Latest engine

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I think my little girl looks cute now that she has some teeth. What do you think????

Now I know how she keeps getting out of the crib. :eek:

DoTheMath 11-03-2006 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I think my little girl looks cute now that she has some teeth. What do you think????

Absolutely! No more strained carrots - bring on the pizza! :p

See what you have to look forward to Audio!?!?

Young Performance 11-03-2006 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Absolutely.

I don't neccessarily think that it is better to do the machine work yourself unless you are an expert machinest on every piece of equipment. I'm not, thats why I have guys who are do the machine work for me. I can run each piece of equipment and get the job done , but, like I said, these guys are better than I am because they do it all day, every day. Also, if you have older equipment, how can that be better than newer stuff?? Just because you own it doesn't make it better.
The other problem that I see is that most shops that buy new equipment and pay a guy full time to run it have to take in all kinds of work to pay for the machine and the operators salary. They start taking in stock stuff from car dealerships and anyone off the street. That's fine if that's what you want to do. I concentrate on performance marine engines only and try to be the best that I can be at that one thing. I don't do stock engines, car engines or drag race engines, only marine engines. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't do it.

mrhorsepower1 11-03-2006 05:33 PM

Eddie,
I totally understand your position. And I am not in any way knocking it. Everyone has there own beliefs and opinions. From a business stand point.. where there capitol isn't there to purchase new equipment, sure out sourcing the machining is great. Everytime you have to use someone else or count on another shop there is room for error. In this case , the shop mind as well be called Bob Simms machining/ Schmidt Racing/ Joe's dyno service racing engines . The more knowledge of machining, metal properties, engine building, racing experience, ect.. you have the better of an engine builder you a going to be. It's a whole package not just assembly. The other thing it has done for our shop is kept engine failure % to ZERO.Remember this is just our program. If you have something that is working for YOU- stay with it! Hope to meet you someday. You going to PRI? Get in touch with me.

Best Regards,

Dean

KAAMA 11-07-2006 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
Nice looking motors. I see your correction factor is at 15.6% though, 659 uncorrected hp =762hp,were they dynoed at a pretty high elevation? Smitty

The quote below is from RMbuilder---just thought I'd copy and paste it over here. Just in case any of you haven't seen it....there is an interesting thread in the Technical Q & A section about Dyno testing, correction factors, barometric pressure, ambient air temps, etc.

Originally Posted by rmbuilder
Bare in mind, a 15% C/F on an engine making 650 OBSERVED
HP is 747.5 CORRECTED HP. That calcs to 97.5 additional HP due to “atmospheric conditions”. That is not a legitimate test.
Bob

It's an interesting read and there is much more to it than what is quoted above. Here's the link...read it for yourselve's and make your own reasonable conclusions.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...51#post1927251

Young Performance 11-08-2006 10:56 PM

Dean,
Capitol has nothing to do with it. I could purchase the equipment if I wanted to. I choose not to. As I stated before, I let someone that I think is better than me do it. I don't see where that makes a difference as far as quality is concerned. I use who I think is the best and I check and double check everything they do. That has kept my failures to 0%.
I have been doing this as long as I can remember. My father raced boats before I was born. I started helping him build our engines since I could hold a wrench. I have had the oppotunity to be a part of almost every inboard class of hydroplane and flatbottom racing. I have built engines for everything from 2.5 liter stock hydros to blown alcohol engines for grand prix hydros and K racing runabouts. I not only built engines for all of these boats but had the opportunity to take quite a few off them for a ride. I have also been involved is sst45, sst140 and modified class offshore. Not bad for 35 years old, huh.
I have built engines for several manufacturers, such as Nortech and Hustler. I have also built engines for boats that have been on the cover of Powerboat, Hotboat, and Extreme Boats Mag. Both Extreme and Powerboat have done articles on my motors and the shop when I was at TMP. I am certainly not trying to toot my horn, I am just giving you some background on me to let you know that I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have been around for a while, even if Young Performance is new.
I am not trying to pick a fight with you or anyone else, I just felt like I'm being attacked for no reason. If that is not the case, then great, I hope to meet you and I'll buy you a drink. Talk to you soon, Eddie.

Young Performance 11-08-2006 11:13 PM

KAAMA, articfriends, rmbuilder, etc.etc.etc.

I never said the uncorrected power was 659 hp. Articfriends said that and I don't know where it came from. The bsfc and the fuel lb/hr are both incorrect. This is the first time that I used this dyno and it needs some work. It needs to be updated. If this wasn't a motor that I had done over 25 times, I would not have went there. The only reason I dynoed it there was the customer wanted to use it. By the way, he was present the whole time. Both the customer and I watched the operator input the data. The air temp sensor was attached to the j-tube on top of the carb.
This is the most popular motor that I build. As I said, I have built over 25 of them, and everyone has been within 15 hp of each other. They have been dynoed at 5 different shops on 3 different types on dynos over the past few years.
Let me ask you this question. Have you ever seen a boat lose 5 or more mph from the spring or fall to the summer? Or seen a boat from up north travel to Florida or Louisiana and lose 5-8 mph? How much power loss is that???
In the average v bottom, 5 mph loss is about 75 hp. Isn't this due to atmospheric conditions???

mrhorsepower1 11-09-2006 07:13 AM

Eddie,
You do not have to prove anything to me or explain where you have been and what you have done. No there was no attacking being done, just taking about a question that was asked. And finally, yes I would like to meet you- maybe at the PRI sho or Miami. I will be at both. PM me when it gets close. Thanks!

Dean

customryder 11-09-2006 08:45 AM

Dean & Eddie... You guys are both great engine builders, & both grew up with a wrench in your hand..In no way is Dean attacking anyone its not his style...I have met both gentleman & both are first class. You guys remind me of each other Horsepower! :D Keep up the great work!
Jeff