Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   496 hp upgrades- who offers them? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/144394-496-hp-upgrades-who-offers-them.html)

Raylar 11-05-2006 10:21 AM

Re: 496 hp upgrades- who offers them?

Jim (Wiggler4490)

We have spoken a few times, but you must have lost my toll free number. (866) 496-8181 Call me if you have questions about our engines, kits and real horsepower numbers.
You have to be careful playing with fellow OSO'ers here on the forum who are just trying to get real accurate info.
Throwing out crazy power and result numbers even in jest will only confuse and lead to forum members being misinformed and frustrated with member responses.

Cosmic12, as for Mercury Reps at boat shows, be carefull, some of these people are real newbies and they have recieved some real boggus info if they claim you are going to have a 496HO -425hp go to 500Hp with just headers.
As for our power numbers, our 525HP kits and motors make 525HP without headers and about 575Hp with good headers.
Our 600HP to 625HP plus motors make their power with headers and not on stock exhaust, ECM reprograms and other goodies.

Chuckbeecher, Reversion by the way is a function of cam size, timing etc, and is not a result of using headers.

The information we have collected suggests that if a boat builder is a Mercury Team member and they install approved headers on the 496 when motor when first installed and sold that Mercury's warranties will apply. All other installs and use of headers as well as any after market systems on existing 496's can possibly void warranties if problems arise.

Just trying to keep the exchange of information factual.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Rippem 11-05-2006 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by crb76
The Donzi dealer here told me that they are getting 6MPH out of the application on the 35 and 38.

so they've built a 38' with HO's and before and aftered it and can document 6 MPH?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I call BS, not on you, but the info you were given.

crb76 11-06-2006 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rippem
so they've built a 38' with HO's and before and aftered it and can document 6 MPH?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I call BS, not on you, but the info you were given.

That is what I was told by two people working for Donzi at the FLL boat show. That was also going up 2 pitches on props too. Call the factory or call Fountain. They are both offering it. Everyone I talk to has said great things. I was going to build a 37 AT with that set up but was talked into 525 EFI's instead.

sonic28 11-06-2006 08:02 AM

does anyone no the labor cost for installing cmi on fountain 35ex.how many hours should it take?

Sydwayz 11-06-2006 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by sonic28
does anyone no the labor cost for installing cmi on fountain 35ex.how many hours should it take?

Shoot a PM to ACTIVESHACK here on OSO. He just sold his 35 Fountain that had the CMIs installed.

Michael1 11-06-2006 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by crb76
Merc guy told me the same thing at the FLL boat show. Has to be installed by factory or authorize Merc tech for warranties.

When it comes to warranties, I prefer to get everything in writing, and read the small print. It's amazing what they can exclude.

Michael

Strip Poker 388 11-07-2006 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Coz, U R being 2 kind! Ask 3 dif people & get 6, that's Six answers!!! :eek:

And if you ask that person the next day the same question youll get a differant answer :evilb: :evilb:

I like changing up the wording of a question asking the same question , getting differant answers :eek: :rolleyes:

boatfreak 11-07-2006 02:32 PM

I installed a set of CMI tubes when they first came out last fall and did not see any change at all. I love the way they look and sound but I'm not sure that is worth $3500. I do understand how an engine must work as a complete package but I believed the hype that the tubes were something that this engine needed and so I parted with my money. I have talked to Raylar several times and would like to go that route but I'm not sure I'm keeping the boat. I do believe the Raylar 525 kit AND the CMI tubes would be the sh!t. :cool:

Michael1 11-07-2006 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by boatfreak28
I installed a set of CMI tubes when they first came out last fall and did not see any change at all. I love the way they look and sound but I'm not sure that is worth $3500.

Caveat emptor to anyone buying aftermarket performance parts. Example: 496HO dynoed by Mercury Marine to SAE J1349 standards of barometric pressure and temperature show 425 horsepower. Gonna-Get-Your-Money Marine comes along with their whiz bang 496 Power Master head bolts. They show you dyno sheets with a 75 horsepower increase. Everything looks legit. Only problem was they dynoed it correcting the results to lower atmospheric temperatures and higher pressures than Mercury Marine's SAE tests. Instant 75 hp increase, that doesn't actually exist. :eek:

Michael

casher 12-12-2006 06:40 PM

I installed the CMI's on my 496 Mag HO in an H2X.

I had a Houston Propeller 3-blade Mirage dialed in PERFECTLY the prior season. Slapped the CMI's on and same prop stayed flat on the rev limiter all day long. Never hit the rev limiter prior to the CMI's.

Put a one size larger factory Mirage 3-blade on and picked up about 4MPH on the GPS. The CMI's look good, sound good, and I'm happy with the bang for the buck.