Notices

Bravo XR

Old 11-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bravo XR

I just rebuilt my Mercury Racing 500 efi. It's now a 540ci, 675HP, 699 ft lb of tourque engine. I'm pretty sure this set up will eat up my existing Bravo 1. It's in a Formula 271 fastech. Do any of you have an opinion about the ability of a new XR to handle this power?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bravo XR

Alot will depend on driving style. I ran 725 hp thru a Bravo XZ for three years.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

my buddy has a 36 gladiator with twin merc 575sc's and has had issues with XR's...and he's avg to above avg throttleman
Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

With 650 HP Per side I would eat up Bravos left and right all the time,my boat is very light and I still had problems even when I would baby the boat.I installed Imco Extereme SC Drives and have not had another problem since Good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:43 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by richsformula
I just rebuilt my Mercury Racing 500 efi. It's now a 540ci, 675HP, 699 ft lb of tourque engine. I'm pretty sure this set up will eat up my existing Bravo 1. It's in a Formula 271 fastech. Do any of you have an opinion about the ability of a new XR to handle this power?

Thanks

skip the XR....much better alternatives out there. i kinda have a thing for formulas with arnesons....thats the way i would go....single or twin motor.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
skip the XR....much better alternatives out there. i kinda have a thing for formulas with arnesons....thats the way i would go....single or twin motor.
A little expensive considering the XR will last as long as your easy on the throttles and aren't running 3-4 footers at speed. If you can afford it, run the bravo until it grenades, then replace it with an XR. (otherwise just do it now and sell the the braov or keep it as a spare)
Old 11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Registered

Mickey's running 900hp in a 26 American Offshore - baby's it out of the hole - but runs it flat out quiet a bit. Never had an issue with the XR - but it finally tore the stock transom assembly all to hell. $2500 later for a outdated assembly (new) and ALL is Well!!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Registered

It's in a 27 foot Formula fastech. Single engine. A few years back I put an XZ gear package and a billit top cap on my 1998 Bravo 1. I babied the drive last season and it held together with the 675 HP. (It was a 35 hour season) short due to a new baby at home. Based on your responses I have a few more questions:

1 - How much is an Imco extereme SC and would it bolt on to the existing set up?

2 - I'm hearing mixed reviews on the XR. Would I need to really baby it or just take it easy out of the hole.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imco's around $11K and a direct bolt up.

There's no good answer to #2. Some people have good luck with them and some don't.

A Konrad and extension box will be about double that.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 813 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by richsformula
It's in a 27 foot Formula fastech. Single engine. A few years back I put an XZ gear package and a billit top cap on my 1998 Bravo 1. I babied the drive last season and it held together with the 675 HP. (It was a 35 hour season) short due to a new baby at home. Based on your responses I have a few more questions:

1 - How much is an Imco extereme SC and would it bolt on to the existing set up?

2 - I'm hearing mixed reviews on the XR. Would I need to really baby it or just take it easy out of the hole.

Thanks
I would either run what you have until it breaks or upgrade your drive the rest of the way with max worx parts. Unless your launching to the sky on every wave on the rev limiter a upgraded bravo should last you several 100 hours. When I had around the same hp as you and was running a 28 pitch 4 blade I had virtually zero problems with my max worx upgraded drive. I'm currently runnning over 900 hp/ft lbs tq in my single and never sheared a prop shaft until I tried to turn a 5 blade full size maximus. I have had lower gears fail but am working on a treatment that seems to be working,the rest of my parts have over 200 hours including the upper gears after 2 different 540 blower motors and a blown 502 over past 6 years. Your boat isn't super heavy,how much prop are you turning? When you get into 32 potch props or 5 blades these drives start failing on a regular basis. The heavier boats with medium power especially when turning 5 blades spit out the best upgraded xr/bravos like watermelon seeds but the singles in your size with similar power are usually fine,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Bravo XR-dsc03834.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 11-07-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Bravo XR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.