If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: merc 525

merc 525

has any one installed whipple superchargers onto a stock 525

Forum Regulator VIP Member Sydwayz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37' Active Thunder AVH; 17' Speedliner Cat OB

Re: merc 525

There is another current thread about this in the General Discussion. Page 1 or 2.

Do a search for more info as well.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: merc 525

I posted a reply in this thread, check it out.
    merc 525 efi more horsepower

and ditto to the above comment as well, search button is your friend

[i]orginally posted by pkspx[/]
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Wow.... From all the experts I spoke with... you're the only one who claims it's a "bolt on" and no internal mods are necessary (for the 525 EFI's).

Are you speaking in general, or do you have specific experience with these motors?
    I am no expert. From my experience, dropping in a turbocharger on a car was bolt on and more power for the buck. I didnt want to crack open the engine and void the warranty because it was a lease car and I knew I wanted to give it back. In general, I would think a bolt on supercharger kit might be something well looking into. I have no idea if there are actually any bolt on kits for your 525, but I again, I would have to assume so. I might be wrong, maybe the compression ratio is too high, and boosting it would mean rebuilding it for boost. I do know that thare are bolt on kits for the 454 and 502s.

I found some info for you.
    Whipple’s Superior Performance:
    Want big top end speed, dramatically improved cruising speeds and ability to plane faster? How about not having to sacrifice reliability, durability and idle? What about ultimate bragging rights to owning one of the most incredible looking and technologically advanced marine engines? Sound to good to be true? Well its not, Whipple has the supercharger system for you. The Whipple 525HP EFI SC System will give you all the torque and horsepower your heart desires. With 7lbs. of intercooled boost, your power will increase nearly 50%! Skeptics say, “what about idle?” That’s simple, the Whipple twin-screw type supercharger and ECU calibration will allow for your engine to idle consistently, in and out of gear for easy operation.
    Sure does look sexi though

IMO - Honestly, if I didnt want to void my warrnaty, I would supercharge it. Just got to make sure it is tune perfectly with air/fuel and timing and it will be just as reliable as stock. I have seen people boost their cars and screw something little up and cost them an engine. Reliablity can also dpened on installation as well. It just not a quick bolt on kit like a header kit.
    OSO's unofficial I.T. consultant :D