Notices

30 Spectre vs 30 Cobra?

Old 11-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Steve_H

Default 30 Spectre vs 30 Cobra?

both boats have the same power. twin 300x's. Why would the Cobra be 20 mph slower? There isnt much talk around here about Cobra's....

Old 11-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: 30 Spectre vs 30 Cobra?

Isn't that like comparing a Corvette to a Pontiac Grand Prix? The Spectre has no cabin with little or no amenities built for speed and is a true tunnel. The Cobra seems more family oriented to me.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a Cobra, and the factory setup on rigging the motors seems totally different (wrong) than all of the other thirty foot cats out there. I'm rerigging my entire boat as we speak. I'm going with 15 inches of set back to try and shift the center of gravity towards the rear and give the bow some more lift hopefully helping the dredded bow hop in the process. Also the motor spacing seems to be off, On the Cobra the propshafts are right in the inner corners of the tunnel exposing 3/4 of the props to the water going by, where as all of the other cats seem to have the propshafts mounted futher out on the sponsons only allowing the bottom half of the props hit the water. My motors would not tach out, they would only push my 28 cleavers to 6400rpm topped out. I beleive this was caused by too much prop hitting the water, they are semi surfacing props and should only have the bottoms of the prop in the water.My motors should be pushing 7500rpm. I think this might break the boat loose. The tunnel is also much shallower then the others which doesn't allow you get as much air under the hull. These are only my theories and I am going to try them out and see what happens. I have heard of 30 Cobra's going 102mph with 280's, I think it is all in the setup.
Attached Thumbnails 30 Spectre vs 30 Cobra?-johnnyv.jpg  

Last edited by Johnny Venomous; 11-08-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My friend has a 30 spector with 300's and he toy's with me like I'am his bit***ch. And on on bad day in reverce my boat does 97.But then pro roc set up his boat too. They are a spector dealer.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Johnny Venomous
Ive got a Cobra, and the factory setup on rigging the motors seems totally different (wrong) than all of the other thirty foot cats out there. I'm rerigging my entire boat as we speak. I'm going with 15 inches of set back to try and shift the center of gravity towards the rear and give the bow some more lift hopefully helping the dredded bow hop in the process. Also the motor spacing seems to be off, On the Cobra the propshafts are right in the inner corners of the tunnel exposing 3/4 of the props to the water going by, where as all of the other cats seem to have the propshafts mounted futher out on the sponsons only allowing the bottom half of the props hit the water. My motors would not tach out, they would only push my 28 cleavers to 6400rpm topped out. I beleive this was caused by too much prop hitting the water, they are semi surfacing props and should only have the bottoms of the prop in the water.My motors should be pushing 7500rpm. I think this might break the boat loose. The tunnel is also much shallower then the others which doesn't allow you get as much air under the hull. These are only my theories and I am going to try them out and see what happens. I have heard of 30 Cobra's going 102mph with 280's, I think it is all in the setup.
Are you spinning your props in or out. That makes a big difference when your motors are on the inside. I have a buddy with a 29 foot cat and his 280's are sticking a 1/4 to the inside of the tunnel and he is spinning the props in. It makes the boat ride with a lot of lift in the rear which is what it sounds like you need. He spins to the rev limiters 8250 easy and he has very minimal prop slip, 6% to be exact. Hes running 110 and only has 14.5x28 Mercury labs.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Registered

I'm spinning them out, and almost half of the props are into the tunnel. I think this is limiting my revs somewhat. I haven't tried spinning them in yet, but I do want to try it eventually.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Registered

Call Sharkey!
Get the name and number of his buddy that raced them for several years. I spoke to him at the Shore Dreams for Kids this summer and he was very knowledgeable about the set up on the Cobras.
I want to run that rig next summer....GET ON IT!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered

Tantrum,
You and Hot Boat gotta come up one weekend and wrench with me. Maybe put the second powerhead back together, I got all the parts. Just made a trick powerhead stand that will hold both powerheads for blinging, he he he!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Registered

Let me know.....Ill be there.
You know if wrenches and rum are involved...HotBoat will be there early
Old 11-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Registered

Bacardi and Cabo Wabo for you and Hot Boat(and any other wrenchers)!!!!!!
Just need to find time away from work.
Working Mon. thru Sat. till 2nd week in Dec.
After that I will have my weekends back, then it's game on.