Notices

Red Car Harrasment Ticket

Old 02-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Red Car Harrasment Ticket

Heres a good one for all the peace officers out there. Got stopped by Ohio State Trooper. Got a ticket for "illegal window tinting". The car is 11 years old and totally stock. He checked it with a piece of paper and said they were illegal. It was dark, and the windows were filthy since I had just driven 600 miles. I ask him what I was supposed to do and he said, "get new windows, these are illegal in Ohio". Well, I bought the car brand new in Ohio in 91. It has 150,000 miles on it, still runs like a top, and Im not buying new glass for it. Any suggestions before I go to court? Dont they have some king of gun to check light penetration through windows? Mine have the stock tinting in the glass
Old 02-04-2002, 08:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a case. If it was sold as stock in that state I do not think that they can do that. At leaste that is the law in MA. I used to be really up on the Tint laws. Another law in MA and most other states is that you can tint any window as dark as you want as long as it does not roll down.

Jon
Old 02-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts
I would definately fight the ticket. The card that he used to test with is not real accurate. We use tint meters that we have to calibrate. They measure light transmission through the glass. I have never heard of any factory glass that is too dark.
The amount of light transmission should be defined in the state law. Window tint laws vary from state to state. I would start by investigating the parameters of your state's law and then try and get it retested.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:09 PM
Registered

I want to get it retested in the dayligth with clean windows but dont know where to go. I would think the local trooper station might not be the best idea. Who else would have those meters?
Old 02-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Find a tint shop most of them should be able to help you out.

Jon
Old 02-04-2002, 09:21 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Factory is factory have your bill of sale in hand when going to court.
I have mine tinted to one level over illegal in MN Troutly stay away
the legal tint in MN is a friggin joke.
I I always roll down at least the drivers window in bad weather. If at night I always stopp under a street lamp. Period. I know several officers and they do like it when the window or windows are open BEFORE they walk up to hte car. Makes them know they can see you.
Also its not a red car thing. My cutlass is red.
I know Illinios is real bad on tinted windows.
Take your bill of sale and a statement from the selling dealer.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

The bill of sale won't cut it. Go to the dealer and have him inspect the glass and write a sworn affidavit that the windows are not tinted beyond the factory tint.

Your still screwed because the judge will just think you removed the tape prior to going to the dealer.

Did the cop scratch the glass so that he could tell that there was no tape applied to the glass? I hope you have an honest cop.
Get your questions in order before the trial.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:02 PM
Registered

Formula31,

Get your window cleaned up and go to the local State Police Post and have it checked. If you are legal, they might be able to dismiss it for you. I know that if one of my Deputies wrote the ticket, and later turned out to be wrong, we can change it, and I have dismissed tickets in the past for mistakes.

Mnfastboater, doesn't matter if the car was sold with tint, illegal is illegal.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:17 PM
packinair

being a dealer in ohio I can tell you for a FACT that 50% is the max legal. keep in mind that most cars have a 10% tint on side windows so adding a 50% tint makes it 40%. darker on the back is legal on trucks and vans. windshields are not to be tinted at all

Old 02-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Registered

Troutly will want you to just pay it and learn to be a better citizen.

Quick Reply: Red Car Harrasment Ticket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.