Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sit down vs. stand up seating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/145317-sit-down-vs-stand-up-seating.html)

Panther 11-17-2006 04:20 PM

Re: Sit down vs. stand up seating

I sat down only once and it was in a 36' skater. It was a relatively calm day so I'm not sure how it would be on a rough day.

With a bad back I have always been afraid to sit. :rolleyes: Anyone with a bad back prefer sitting over standing? :confused:

Strip Poker 388 11-17-2006 04:24 PM

My Hustler goes both ways :eek: :drink:

cougarman 11-17-2006 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Panther
I sat down only once and it was in a 36' skater. It was a relatively calm day so I'm not sure how it would be on a rough day.

With a bad back I have always been afraid to sit. :rolleyes: Anyone with a bad back prefer sitting over standing? :confused:

I was told by a very reliable source that is very rough ride on Michgan waters. He wasn't sure if it's the length or the stepped hull but said he would take his own Deep -V any day in rough waters.

I was asking his opinion cause I have considered several time changing mine also. He laughed and said in my heavy pig it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps
Cougarman

Tony Montana 11-17-2006 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
I am a tall guy....what are some V boat makers that have deep cockpits...that you guys have seen.

Active Thunder and Outerlimits are two that come to mind.

BGIII 11-17-2006 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
I am a tall guy....what are some V boat makers that have deep cockpits...that you guys have seen.

The 34 Saber is quite deep. I've taken people out that cannot see over the dash.

yesrej 11-17-2006 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
I converted mine from stand up to sit down. I will never go back to standing again.

I did have use a large spacer on the helm to get the steering wheel closer to me and had to re position the throttles.

you did a great job on that boat paul.

Phantom1 11-17-2006 08:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've done both and thoroughly enjoy my current "sit down".

Tantrum 11-17-2006 08:48 PM

Before I sat down I could never imagine that I would like it. Now after owning a sit down boat I cant imagine I would ever want to stand again. Ive spent some time in Hot Boats ride both before and after his conversion....I prefer that sitting as well.
I do have a bad back and it hasnt been a problem.
The only time a miss standing is when docking, the sit down seats do get in the way a bit.
Thats my story and Im sticking to it :drink:

ToTheMax 11-17-2006 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Panther

My father has a bad back wont' drive past 40 sitting down because of the chop where we are on Georgian Bay. I'm headed there myself if I'm not careful. I think it all depends on where you boat and the conditions. If there are more rough days than calm, and you plan on playing the high-performance boating game for as long as possible, standing is the way to go. Sitting actually puts more stress on your spine than standing as it is, so this might be something to consider
:drink:

fatdaddy 11-17-2006 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Codered
I am not a boat builder or anything like that but I know that freeboard is a consideration on a stand up boat vs a sit down boat . I prefer a stand up boat wit alot of freeboard. Just my 2 cents

Thus, why you & I, have Baja's. :cool: