Notices

Looking to upgrade stereo

Old 11-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade stereo

Looking to upgrade a little and need a little advice. I've picked out some pieces that I think will work well together. Obviously I am on a budget and just want a nice system, doesn't need to be heard 3 miles away. Let me have it

JVC KD DV6200

Polk Audio DB650 8 of these

Kicker Comp VR104 2 of these

JBL GTO 75.4 II 3 of these 1 will be bridged for the subs

And some kind of 10 monitor for the receiver
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered

Default Re: Looking to upgrade stereo

ttt Still waiting for any advice
Old 11-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Registered

I just finished my boat. I was in the business for many years and have a few reccomendations.

The new JL Audio marine subs work incredible. They are meant to be mounted under a seat and used free air. They absolutely blew my mind at how well they worked.

Pioneer makes a 6x9 that has a yellow carbon fiber looking cone and a 1 inch dome tweeter that absolutely rock. They sounded way better that the six sets of Diamond Audio seperates I had in my other boat and they only retail at about $225 a pair.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Registered

Ok so you are going to run 4 sets of the DB650's off of two amps. This would be a good match.

The VR104 is a dual voice coil woofer so that means you would have to run either an 8 Ohm or 2 Ohm load on the amp. This would not be a good configuration. The amp would be way to small an amp in the 8 Ohm setup, and it's not a 2 ohm stable amp in bridge mode.

With this setup you were going to have three amps. I would go a bit different if it were me.

I would only use 1 GTO75.4 to run all of the DB650's. This would prsent the amp with a 2 Ohm load per channel. This would give the speakers plenty of power and use 1 less amp.

I would then get the Kicker VR102 subs. It's the same sub but with two 2 Ohm voice coils. I would then get the JBL GTO1201.1 amplifer to run these subs in series to give the amp a 2 Ohm load. This amp is rated at 1114 watts in a 2 ohm load. This would give you much better power for the subs. Plus this is a class D amp so it will be easier on the batteries than two more of the mosfet amps.

This should also save you around $200.00 for the amps going off MSRP, plus less wires to buy.

What kind of boat is this going in?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also looking at upping the stereo this winter.
I've read where the JL are super nice amps, but are power hunger and that Rockford Fosgates are a great amp that are effiecent.

Any truth to the above comments?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Registered

Just depends on what class amp it is. Class D amps are more effiecent than a mosfet amp. They are more money as well most of the time.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks.

Back to the original poster.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered

It will be going into this boat. 98 27 ft Ultimate Warlock.
http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/ShareL...82_21741163710
Old 11-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Registered

I'd stay away from JVC head units. Junk IMO.

I'd also not get JBL amps. MTX amps are very efficient and affordable, JL amps are great and I know a few people with JL amps in their boats, but they're expensive compared to others. I've got Kicker ZX amps in my boat that have an unregulated power supply, so they take a lot of current. With a Stinger SP1700 battery, I can play mine all day long on the water without starting the boat. That battery is dedicated to the stereo, so the boat will still start from the main battery.

Polk Audio speakers sound great. Def. go with those.

The Kicker Comp VR's: I thought they were single voice coil? The Kicker 06KM10's are a good free-air woofer that's effecient and you could mount them under a bench seat as long as it's enclosed. Clarion also makes a good marine woofer. The JL's were about $300 - $400 each

I'm a Stinger dealer if you need any batteries, wire, or accessories.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Registered

Consider the Clarion CMD 4 head unit. I've got 2 on my 47 Fountain.
Also, consider adding a dedicated battery (or two) for the sound system and capacitor to handle the power spikes.
You'll like the JL Audio stuff.

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade stereo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.