Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sonic--Opinions and Thoughts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/145861-sonic-opinions-thoughts.html)

Sydwayz 11-25-2006 02:18 PM

Re: Sonic--Opinions and Thoughts

Sonic is a very well known brand in the Chesapeake Bay area. There are hundreds, maybe more of them in the Chesapeake. Richard once told me he knew how important the area was for Sonic, and planned to concentrate a lot of marketing efforts as such, as almost as many Sonics were sold in the CB as in Florida.

This has a LOT to do with Frank Marchone, who sold a LOT of Sonics back in the day. I know for a fact he sold my particular boat, 3 times. (BTW Frank also works for Active Thunder now. :D )

CSI is aware of this, and have re-established www.offshore-performance.com as the CB area dealer. I would say that outside of the CB, Florida, and possibly the NE, the resale for a Sonic is probably a little slower/less, as its not such a well known brand. That being said, I sold my Sonic sight unseen to a couple in Montana who had never even ridden on one before.

Dave, I sent you an email as well.

stretchnout 11-25-2006 05:40 PM

Hey Dave1972

I currently own a 42 sonic, used to have a 28 Sonic. Great rough water boat, one thing I like is the dry ride in almost any water, the ladies like it too, but as stated non-step is a little slower but in my opinion a little safer in the turns. I can say that I have taken the 28 to NYC Poker Run and the 42 to Florida which both brought rough water and I never had to turn a screw on the boat afterwards...built tough..

jimi

SUNSATION 25 11-26-2006 02:31 PM

I'm trying to sell my current boat and a Sonic is #2 on my short list, I've never been one one but it has all I want/need in a boat!!! I've had my eye on a few 31's but can anyone tell me what's with the 35SS in the classifieds here? seems like a great deal for a 35 with 500's! is it a 35SS or a 358?? if so what's the difference???

Sydwayz 11-26-2006 02:48 PM

35SS and the 358 are essentially the same boat. Different names during different years, but all out of the same mold. (The 358 Diablo was another special package at one time that had a main highlight of paint, and some other nice amenities.)

The 35SS/358 is a great boat. Its IDENTICAL to a 386 Sonic from the helm forward. The 368 is built with more cockpit and engine room to allow for triples.

I can't tell you anything about the 35SS in the classifieds, but it looks to be clean and well cared for.

pullmytrigger 11-26-2006 03:31 PM

Sonic and AT hooking up eh??.......That is so ironic!!!.......Ive always thought an AT was like having a fast Sonic.......both have similar lines and big cabins...........doug

SUNSATION 25 11-26-2006 03:37 PM

Thanks Sydways... now just find a buyer for mine!

on another note: A friend of mine owns a 32AT (98) with big power, he's told me before that AT once used the molds from Sonic to build their boats (someone told him that) and that's why the hulls look very close, any truth to this or is it hearsay????

crb76 11-26-2006 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Sonic and AT hooking up eh??.......That is so ironic!!!.......Ive always thought an AT was like having a fast Sonic.......both have similar lines and big cabins...........doug

I believe Sonic's and AT's are very different boats. Sonic is liner and AT non-liner unless you option for a cabin liner because you want to put something fancy in the cabin. The only similarity is the walk around ledge on the outside of the boat. In my experiences, driving a Sonic is like driving a luxury sedan and driving an AT is like driving a sports car. Sonics were more of a production boat and AT is 100% custom. When Jay Ross left Sonic a few years back he was building 80+ boats a year. That is down to a handful since the two ownership changes. AT will build about 14-16 this year. AT only wants to build 24 boats a year max once they introduce their new 43 in mid 2008. Both are nice boats but differnt .

crb76 11-26-2006 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SUNSATION 25

on another note: A friend of mine owns a 32AT (98) with big power, he's told me before that AT once used the molds from Sonic to build their boats (someone told him that) and that's why the hulls look very close, any truth to this or is it hearsay????

That is not true to my knowledge. The 32 mold was bought from Cannon Powerboats of Illinois in 1994. Don't know where they got it from. Brian may have some more insight into this.

Sydwayz 11-26-2006 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by SUNSATION 25

The only similarity is the walk rail.

Sonic has a raised center deck section. The AT has a drop center deck section. The walk rail on the Sonic is considerably wider than the AT as well, (which costs Sonic some cockpit width).

Sonic came from the Coyote molds from years and years ago, and were forever in FL.

Cannon was the corp. that owned the molds used by Thunder when Pat bought and brought the molds from IL to Pompano Beach Florida. Thunder Powerboats was soon changed and trademarked as Active Thunder. The biggest boat at this time was the 32. Pat designed the 37 hull in Florida with some influence from other boat designs. Pat had Harry Schoel design the bottom and the AVH/DDC step with US patent #36768. The first 37AVH was built in 1999.

Clark's post is correct. Sonic is built from 3 major pieces:
Hull, Deck, and Liner

AT gives you the option.
My 37AT is built with 3 major pieces: Hull, Deck, and Liner.
Clark's boat was built with a Hull and Deck, but the interior (cabin) was built in pieces.

SUNSATION 25 11-26-2006 05:54 PM

I knew the Sonics came from Coyote molds, but didn't think the rumor about AT's was true, I was just asking!

Do the 31 Sonics porpoise like the AT's???? (around 35-40mph)