Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Centrifical Supercharger Sound ! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/146234-centrifical-supercharger-sound.html)

littledcsrodshop 12-01-2006 04:06 PM

Re: Centrifical Supercharger Sound !

Originally Posted by tomcat
Please don't lump Vortech blowers in with the Procharger kits that were sold to marine applications and failed. We make 800+HP with very little noise and only 7 psi. Gear design, impeller design, intercooler design and fuel delivery system are the reasons why. To make 800+HP with the Procharger design you have to spin the blower a lot faster, which makes even more noise and heat.

Don't make the mistake of using too much cam and get your carb done by someone who knows blowthrough. If you are using a carb enclosure then you will have to use a remote mount intercooler. Not what I would recommend but if you already have the intercooler use the least amount of elbows possible and make your tubing big with large radius turns.

At 800 HP the components you will be beating up will be the drive.

I am using the intercooler that I already have which is the Vortech unit. Yeah the drive is the part I worry about beating up. That is the main reason I don't have one yet. I am trying to get the $$ togather for a drive that I know will handle
the power & not break every few weeks. I would really like to see a konrad hanging off the back of it soon !!

Bryan Rose 12-01-2006 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
Melted valves and burned through head and block.
Another time, melted valves and burned through head, and piston
Another time, melted valves and burned through head
Another time, melted valves, and burned through head and block
Last time, melted spark plug, burned through piston
All this during the 2000 & 2001 summer seasons.

They squeled like a pig at idle.

They whined at rpm.

I will NEVER use them again.

Stock motor or a hopped up on....502 mag?> 500 EFI what was it?
What system and who did the install? was this an EFI set up or Carb? with this kind of damage I would like to know more.....

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 12-01-2006 08:57 PM

I am curious too as to the install & application.. We have had very good results with them and very few problems. I am sure you've heard of problems with all Mfg's units..

Many people have different opinions on the forced induction systems out there. It comes down to preference and application, Some people like chocolate & some like vanilla and some people like all the flavors.. :drink:

As far as the Prochargers They do have a whine, especially the M3 & larger units.. Some people like the whine.. In any case as a rule they have performed well for us & our customers.. If money is'nt object R-tech's intercoolers are pretty trick in design and can help give you an edge, but ATI's coolers do work well too.. An intercooled centrifugal supercharger usually has a cooler boost than a whipple or other blower, meaning safer boost & more power.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

articfriends 12-02-2006 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
EFI is not an option, It has a carb enclosure & that is what I will use.

(Articfriends) forgive my oversight but what setup are you running ?

I'm running a 540 w/m3sc procharger,afr heads,stainless marine hi tq 3's w/5 inch tails,highly modified 502 mpi intake,mild hyd roller cam spec'd by RMbuilder,63lb injectors st 70 psi,afr heads. the blower rings a little at iidle but you can't really hear it with hatch closed. At wfo its sorta shrieks like it has a turbine. I have hear nothing but problems from owners of ANY centrifugal blowing thru the carb,make sure you get professional advice/work done to your carb if your set on running it that way,Smitty

articfriends 12-02-2006 12:07 AM

They whined at rpm.

You either had the worst luck in the world,a terrible set-up,incompetent mechanic or some detail was overlooked. I have had 350 plus hours since 2001 running my m3sc on 502 then my 540 as high as 12 psi of boost without EVER melting down ANY motors,Smitty

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 12-02-2006 12:28 AM

I have to agree with ArcticFreinds..

SkiDoc 12-02-2006 06:19 AM

I liked the sound of mine except the random "dinging" at idle. Worked well for me.

Outdrive1 12-02-2006 09:37 AM

Burned pistons, valves, etc. are all products of improper tuning. I've been running a Vortech for well over 100 hours and three seasons without breaking anything except drives. You can't really hear the wine with the hatch down at idle. I have a pretty big cam so I do get some surge and loading up at idle, not all the time but usually after idling for long distances.

Brad Zastrow 12-02-2006 10:09 AM

I had some V-4 Vortechs. Very quiet at idle, nothing liike a roots style. No surge runs like stock. Make sure the carb is setup for blow through. Send it to Nickerson. Anybody that blows engines like described above is clearly not setup right. Obvious lean condition. Superchargers are not just bolt on and go. They need a lot fuel to make power and live.

dagah2x 12-02-2006 11:08 AM

They whined at rpm.

Should have fixed the fuel issue after the first melt down....

I run a procharger M1 and yes it does whine at idle a bit more then I would like but im used to it. Also I have a a crane 731 cam and I think its perfect, it will idle at 800 rpms without a problem and sounds real nice too, not too much but definately healthier then stock.

Most people who have had issues with prochargers or any other supercharger for that matter did not have them setup correctly. A stock fuel system just is not good enough to run over 3psi.

Bottom line I LOVE the sound.....