Notices

Old boat junkyard?

Old 02-07-2002, 01:45 PM
TulsaLarry

Post Old boat junkyard?

While at lunch we were discussing the number of boats that were sold this past week at the Tulsa Boat Show and one of my friends asked where all the old boats go. We know that most are resold, but what about all the old boats that are worthless? Every major town has at least one junkyard for old cars but I have never seen a junkyard for old boats. Do boat junkyards exist in other parts of the country?

Old 02-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts
i have seen 2 or 3 just across the line here in ohio/michigan.kinda cool to see.there were some real neat old boats like crosby's an some other funkey old boats that looked like cars ya know with big ol tail fins.one old fishin boat evan had a chrysler hemi in it . i took a couple of pics of the yard just for the heck of it.it was like an old boat meuseum.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-07-2002, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we have a recycle boat yard here in indy. great place for used parts.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Registered

Talking

Junk boats dont float...right?
Old 02-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On our last trip to our home town in Jersey we stopped in a local marina near the old house. They had many rotting hulls, burned out hulks and boats that sat on blocks so long that the keel broke. It was really sad to see it. Especially when you think about how beautiful they once were.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:01 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts
Jokerswild found this place around Tampa a while back. A bit pricey on some stuff but..... http://www.donssalvage.com/

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-07-2002, 02:16 PM
MikeStar

Take a ride along Jefferson Ave in Harrison Twp, MI (Boat Town USA) - you'll find yard after yard of junk boats... I suspect most are "project" boats that were a bit more than the owner bargained for...

Old 02-07-2002, 02:37 PM
TulsaLarry

One of the reasons we do not have boat junkyards in Oklahoma is the "country folk" get the old ones and use them to keep their livestock in and they also make "real purdy"
planters for their flowers.

Old 02-07-2002, 05:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really think this will become a serious problem in the next few years. Up until now really old boats were wood and basically disintegrated. Now that most of those are gone we are going to have all these plastic boats that are no longer worth fixing but wont just rot away. Other than cutting them up and putting them in a dumpster-what the hell are you going to do with them?? And you know that when cities start seeing huge pieces of white fiberglass showing up at the dump they are going to make up some new laws to regulate and/or stop it.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

Read between the lines, Tantrum has got the answer. And before anyone jumps I just mean that may be why you never see many junk boats, because junk rhymes with sunk, OK?

Quick Reply: Old boat junkyard?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.