Notices

captains choice exhaust

Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default captains choice exhaust

I had the conservation officers visit me over the weekend and asked if I had captains call on my boat which I do and they said that's illegal here in Indiana which I knew it was but our boat came with it. Well I was told I had to have it disconnected so I took the wire off the back of the switch and when I did that now it's in the open position which is fine with me. I'll have to wait and see what happens the next time they see me. It was funny he told me they were keeping there eyes on Baja. So I'm sure I'm marked for now on.

Why is it states don't like captains choice. I leave it in silent mode going thru channels of with a lot of people are with us just to be considerate to others. Then while out on the lake and ready to run I flip the switch and the kids know when they hear the sound that it's time to sit down and hang on because we are going to go fast. So my thinking is if people kept it down in the channels or no wake zone that the people that don't like the sound woudn't mind the performace boaters.

Just wondered if anyone knows the answer.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the Law looks at the system as a way to make a quiet boat louder, not a loud boat quieter. Just shows their plain ignorance of the system and uses.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

They Just Don't get it. So why do the manufactures install these systems?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STUCK
I had the conservation officers visit me over the weekend and asked if I had captains call on my boat which I do and they said that's illegal here in Indiana which I knew it was but our boat came with it. Well I was told I had to have it disconnected so I took the wire off the back of the switch and when I did that now it's in the open position which is fine with me. I'll have to wait and see what happens the next time they see me. It was funny he told me they were keeping there eyes on Baja. So I'm sure I'm marked for now on.

Why is it states don't like captains choice. I leave it in silent mode going thru channels of with a lot of people are with us just to be considerate to others. Then while out on the lake and ready to run I flip the switch and the kids know when they hear the sound that it's time to sit down and hang on because we are going to go fast. So my thinking is if people kept it down in the channels or no wake zone that the people that don't like the sound woudn't mind the performace boaters.

Just wondered if anyone knows the answer.
Find out what the exact law is. I was told here in Michigan that Silent Choice/Captains Call was illegal but in fact it seems to be a misinterpretation of the law. The law was intended to prohibit "cutouts" that bypass your muffled system into an unmuffled system.

In other words, if you had a "cutout" that bypassed mufflers that were needed to pass a sound test you would be illegal. Or if you had the stock water injected manifolds that passed the sound test but had some type of "cutout" that bypassed the water supply and made the boat much louder that would be illegal.

Making a system that further quiets down your thru-hulls illegal is just crazy. And IMO is not illegal in Michigan. Although some COs, DNR, cops, etc think it is because the consider them cutouts.

But, after talking to a water patrolman and a lawyer and seeing how the actual law is written it is obvious what they were trying to accomplish. However it is a gray area.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Does anyone have access to this law or know how to go about obtaining the written law?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
Does anyone have access to this law or know how to go about obtaining the written law?
It varies from state to state. Here is the Michigan Law:

R 281.1238 Mufflers; cut outs.

The exhaust of all internal combustion engines used on any waters of this state shall be muffled effectively by equipment so constructed and used as to muffle the noise of the exhaust of the engine in a reasonable manner. The use of cut outs, bypasses, or similar devices is prohibited, except for vessels competing in a boat race or regatta sanctioned by the department undersections 151 and 152 of the act. A modern device, underwater exhaust systemor a system discharging cold water through the exhaust of an inboard engine,each of which is capable of muffling the noise of the exhaust of the engine ina reasonable manner, shall be considered as meeting the requirements of this rule.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of info on this currently on Speedwake.

So far, I've never had any problems on my lake in IN. I think the CO's are more forgiving on this ruling, until told to step it up.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

No problems on the Big Pond, yet. These a holes are just looking for a reason to bust your stones or checkout the women on your boat. My idiots probably don't even know what to look for under the engine hatch. If you get a ticket fight it, I had 2 stupid tickets I got while snowmobiling dropped this year!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Registered

i have a magazine a few years old that has all of the states(then) laws ,when i get back from softball i will look it up and post it.(unless i am inebriated,then it will be tomorrow)
Old 09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BOBCATMATHEWS
i have a magazine a few years old that has all of the states(then) laws ,when i get back from softball i will look it up and post it.(unless i am inebriated,then it will be tomorrow)
Laws by State

Quick Reply: captains choice exhaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.