Crossing in to Canada and back via boat

Notices

Crossing in to Canada and back via boat

Old 12-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crossing in to Canada and back via boat

Originally Posted by Rippem
No, but they do audits now where Canadian Customs database is available to US Customs and if by chance you get caught in this lottery type sampling check back in the country from Canada having not checked in...

The penalties are HEFTY, and I mean HEFTY from what I've heard.
worth the 5 or 10 grand to make no effort to play along? You decide.
Have a friend from NY who did not realize U.S Customs had access to the Canadian database. Since he's an attorney he got dinged $10K in fines for breaking the law.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rippem
can anybody tell me how to save or capture that image for my desktop?
This might help...not ideal for full screen desktop but might not be bad centered...can bump it up a little bigger to0 if you would like but might not be as crisp an image.

Last edited by cuposterchild; 09-20-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zudnic
Have a friend from NY who did not realize U.S Customs had access to the Canadian database. Since he's an attorney he got dinged $10K in fines for breaking the law.
Bingo! Thanks for posting that. I feel bad for your friend, but people needed to know I wasn't kidding about this.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
This might help...not ideal for full screen desktop but might not be bad centered...can bump it up a little bigger to0 if you would like but might not be as crisp an image.
thanks, I couldn't save it or capture it for some reason.
The res is okay I'll just center it at it's size.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zudnic
Unfortunately, this is really about revenue raising. Beware of the government that seizes property- they'll target property and not crime.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by $hooter
if anyone thinks that the passport thing is on hold...you are in a make believe dream world. Its coming and it is happening. The best way to deal with it is go get your passport and shutup.
I think my local City/County/State government, public and private agencies, as well as economic interests here right on top of one of the busiest US/Canadian border crossings has an idea what's happening.
Latest word from the government and other agencies is the implimentation of the passport requirement is on hold, period. Been in print, been on the TV news, local radio ect.
You know better? please enlighten us with your credentials?

Now maybe I'll take your advice and get one...
... and maybe you'll take mine and not be a 3 post wonder using a sh!tty tone and context with long-standing members.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hoping to get this thread on track. This is some important stuff. The fact that there are potential 10K fines and Can and US cross checking transit information. Which previously was not the case. This has relevance for infrequent and well as routine boaters in international waters. As border enforcement becomes more refined it's critical all the paperwork is in place.

In our area we have an extensive presence. One of my concerns is issue that many offshore boats are faster than the enforcement vessels(ex. aircraft) working security. That fact alone will make them prime targets for inspection. A understanding of the requirements essential. Actually I never knew about the customs sticker for boats over 30'.

Until this thread I never thought about boating with my passport. While not a requirement it can't hurt to prove citizenship. It's a brave new world I'm afraid. I see the day coming when boating will involve transponders and all passengers will have biometric identification fed into it. You heard it here first.

Personally I am going to go with Nexus because it good for multiple years and it will work at the bridge. I would suggest (respectfully) a passport. It's $97.00 and is good for 10 years. Once you get one you will be glad you did.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Registered

...since we here in Texas dont have this problem...
so you were lipping off about going by boat to Canada and back, and you're in texas?

What an assclown.

Yap about what YOU think the future will bring, remembering the original question...I'm sure, was about right now, or this coming summer of '07.
Also remember the US relationship with Canada is unlike any other, and certianly a far cry from the Meximerica you are familiar with.

I posted real current info/answers for the thread starter, while you speculate and get mouthy.

Go back under your rock bigshot.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

Well people...had this sent to me from a family member in the State Department...IE...Homeland Security outta Washington DC. Unless I am reading this wrong...the passport thing is here...but what the Hell do I know...I am only a 5 post wonder and the self appointed GOD...aka...RIPPEM... has not blessed it yet.

Subject: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

On November 24, 2006, the U.S. Departments of State and Homeland Security published notice in the Federal Register implementing regulations requiring the presentation of valid passports for international travel beginning January 23, 2007. This significant change in law is but one step to be taken under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), the goal of which is to further strengthen the security of travel to and from the United States.

Under current law, citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda are permitted to enter the United States from other locations in the Western Hemisphere without presenting a passport. Beginning January 23, 2007, all such travelers departing or entering the United States via air travel will be required to present a valid passport. Certain limited exceptions apply for citizens of Mexico traveling for business or leisure with a valid, biometric-enabled Border Crossing Card.

The Departments of State and Homeland Security anticipate extending the passport requirement to land and sea departures and arrivals during the next phase of WHTI implementation. Land and sea regulations are expected to go into effect as early as January 2008.

note that it says in regards to sea-travel, "as early as January 2008..."
not too definitive is it?

also if your not banned yet for obnoxious posting, trying to sell OSO'rs your motors (before you proclaimed them "junk"), starting a bashing thread on the builder, and challenging the website owner's judgement and authority...all in your first 18 posts
please re-read the thread...

I believe it was about crossing back and forth BY BOAT

and what are the rules NOW or for the UPCOMING SEASON

seems the info I, among others, have provided in regards to Crossing in to Canada and back via boat is accurate and will be for at least another year in reference to recreational boat travel between these two countries.

remember bigshot, unlike crossing by vehicle or by air, there are LITTLE OR NO PROVISIONS for face-to-face in person customs reporting after hours and no one to see and/or feel your bigshot passport!

If any of the impressive gazillion times you've been to Canada and back had actually been by boat you might know WTF your talking about.

So remember to ignore the confusion our friend $hithead has brought to this discussion.
A passport is NOT an I-68, and unless everyone aboard has an I-68, legally you must all report back in at a videophone or in person!

Try finding a live Customs officer after 6 PM, or a videophone (let alone one that works) in the 1000 Islands or on Lake Ontario.

I urge anyone who plans to go out of the country and back via boat and back in this neck of the woods this summer...

to get an I-68, and call US Customs from your cell upon return. It's what's legal RIGHT NOW.

Last edited by Rippem; 12-28-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, for crying out loud...

It must be winter...
This is where I usually hang-out, but I occaisonally go to other boat related boards. Each one has it's own "flavor".
I've alway's compared these sites to bars. Some are nice clubs, some are the corner bar.
Someone here seems like he's used to hanging out at the corner bar, and walked into a nice club for the first time, and is acting like he's at the corner bar.
Somebody call in the bouncers...

Rippem - I got your back man.

Quick Reply: Crossing in to Canada and back via boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.