Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   is your boat paid off or on a loan ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/147296-your-boat-paid-off-loan.html)

AIR TIME 12-17-2006 04:53 PM

Re: is your boat paid off or on a loan ?

[WHEN BUYING MY 1ST PERSONAL BOAT] My choice was a 87 fountain 33 with side by side seats 370hp trs drives repo for 40,000 take out loan, or a buddys 88 baja 240 ol 330hp mint pay 16,700 cash no loan. I'M HAPPY WITH MY CHOICE :D .THE BAJA, Over the yrs I went from 60mph to 83mph in the same boat went to a lot of overnight places in New England raced it, so 16 yrs no major problems some small a bad bulkhead for the last 5 yrs but I got my moneys worth out of it, putting some glass work in it this winter about 3,000 not bad for a 18yr old boat thats had twice the HP it came with over the last 10yrs, so in my book baja makes a pretty good boat :cool: Oh and for going out and running against bigger boats won 90% of the guys I ran against :p once I had the bigger power , best one was from a x racer who had a 31ft scorpion with trips 2.4s and said at the docks it did 86mph and I walked away from him :p I looked back to see someone punching the fairing :eek:

crb76 12-17-2006 05:28 PM

Finance because it is a write off and I can use the money to make more money and not sit in a boat that depreciates. That is the name of the game in my world. I don’t buy anything I can’t pay cash for even though I don’t pay cash for anything that depreciates.

AIR TIME 12-17-2006 05:37 PM

To me you pay cash for toys, the write off is nothing compared to the interest you pay :rolleyes: lets be real and if you need a loan then you get a better odds with a second against the house at least in mass you do, cars,trucks,bikes rvs.

JC 12-17-2006 05:38 PM

Paid for, but fuel and ins. feels like a payment.

Buddy OO 12-17-2006 05:38 PM

finance a new outerlimits or mti, will only cost you 7k-8k/ month, thats before insurance fuel rebuilds dock hoist, etc

HotPursuit 12-17-2006 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by crb76
Finance because it is a write off and I can use the money to make more money and not sit in a boat that depreciates. That is the name of the game in my world. I don’t buy anything I can’t pay cash for even though I don’t pay cash for anything that depreciates.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make a home equity loan if possible.
Use the interest as a deduction.
Invest your cash wisley and earn more than your boat interest.
If things change you can always pay off the loan.
No expert just seems to work for me. :D

Perfectmix 12-17-2006 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JC
Paid for, but fuel and ins. feels like a payment.

I have a loan on mine but the Pmt. is definately the cheapest part of owning a boat.

RJBBC 12-17-2006 05:47 PM

Still making loan payments :(

NASCAT 12-17-2006 06:06 PM

Utilizing my equity line which basically gives me the freedom to do as I please w/ my boat. Since I don't keep things very long owning it outright isn't that important to me & the interest is deductible not to mention the fact that my equity line has an interest only option which comes in handy if I have some unexpected expenses in any given month.

kickin32 12-17-2006 06:24 PM

still making payments but the relaxation i get from boating is worth it all!!! :D