Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Scam Concerns (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/147315-scam-concerns.html)

pkspx 12-18-2006 08:13 AM

Re: Scam Concerns

This is a WELL KNOWN scam.

from other forum (googled)
http://limos.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...2/m/5261069942

Traderonline Scam ALERTS
http://www.traderonlinesecurity.com/...pg=SellerScams

BGIII 12-18-2006 08:16 AM

I was standing in line and the Post Office yesterday and they have a big "scam" sign on the wall that describes what you've said to a "T".

rjcardinal 12-18-2006 11:03 AM

Deposit the check in an interest bearing account. Earn interest on it for a week or so and when they charge it back just forget about it. Then you can pocket the interest for your trouble.

Dont know if it will work but I always wanted to try it.

On second thought its probably not a good idea because the bank will be out the interest. However this fact may make them put an end to this scam which is well known.

Ron

spk1 12-18-2006 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RJBBC
A friend just received a certified check for more than $10,000 the asking price of his boat advertised on Boattrader. The envelope was sent from the UK and there is a request to cash the check and send back the extra 10k to a third party agent representing the buyer. What is going on? I told him to give the certified check an instructions to the local law enforcement agency. Has anyone heard of anything like this before?

Yea, The check may pass through the initial stage at your bank, the amount will possibly show up on your account balance, as it goes through the verification process, this is when you would get the confidence to write, your check out to the UK people, then when its probably too late, your bank will call you into the back room and question you on the fake check. and then both the bank and the uk guy get their money, and leave you with none. I believe there was a story on dateline or one of those channels about this scam.

NASCAT 12-18-2006 12:42 PM

Who falls for these things? Why would someone send you more $$ than necessary? C'mon guys. I get these all the time that come from people keying off my OSO classifieds. One guy sent me a check. the bank name, address & phone # were all legit but the check wasn't. I opened a new acct just to deposit it in so they would never get my other acct #'s several days later it was returned as illegit.

spk1 12-18-2006 12:59 PM

There is also a scam out there involving an inheritance promise. Your uncle or who ever, left you this large sum of money,, its in a warehouse, some where, and they brought the money in cash and died it all black, as to avoid tax penaties. The scammers put you in touch with a company that sells special chemicals to get the black dye off of the money, these chemicals are very expensive,,and when you use them and they dont work,, they just tell you that you did not use enough,, and charge you all over again. I saw on the news recently where a doctor, lost a fortune on this scam. Funny thing is, when I was watching it seemed like a familiar situation, being in the custom processing chemical business, we had a guy approach us with many questions about how to remove a special black dye, from this paper he had, it seemed wierd at the time,, but we accepted the challenge, and went through a few processes to get the die off of the paper,, wouldnt you know it,, just a small amount of chlorine bleach, and water solution got all of this ink off,, when we showed the guy he became infurriated, and repeatedly insisted that our chemicals were too strong,, andd destroyed, the ink under the paper?? Guess he still believed he really had money under the dye, we tryed again, and same results,, of course he only gave us 1inch by 3 inch slivers of paper.. Next day we keep recieveing these Irate calls from foreign numbers, (possibly the Scammers), hehe I guess this guy decided to look for a less expensive option to get the dye off, of his "supposed" money, got to hand it to him, lol he reallyy pissed off the scammers,, or we did,, I was getting these calls constantly,some arabic sounding guy speaking another language just pissed, and of course,, the next day 30 or so FBI agents storm in, and take us away for questioning,those guys are really intimidating, but when they found out we were just as clueless about what we were removing the ink from, as the guy who asked us,, to do so,, and that we were doing it more out of curiosity and not even for a charge,,we were off the hook. Im sure our legit business history kept us out of too much trouble as well, but I can only Imagine the laugh those fbi guys had, when they realized what was happening. I really did not piece it together, untill I saw the special on the news.

Clay Washington 12-18-2006 01:17 PM

I'm sorry but anyone greedy enough to fall for these scams deserves what they get. It is their own greed that clouds their judgement.

I hope there is a special place in Hell for liars and theives! :mad:

Joe 12-18-2006 01:58 PM

Same thing on a Bertram we were selling....

The guy even called and asked for pics etc.... before sending a Cashier's Check (drawn from BofA). Took it over to BofA for there fraud dept. to see.... They kept it!

It still amazes me that there are obviously still enough people out there that release their boat(s) w/out the check first clearing!

P.S. Gino still has the best banking story ever!!! :eek:

spk1 12-19-2006 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
I'm sorry but anyone greedy enough to fall for these scams deserves what they get. It is their own greed that clouds their judgement.

I hope there is a special place in Hell for liars and theives! :mad:

I do believe I agree with you clay.
I also cant help but notice by your recent posts that a good friend or some one close to you has done you wrong recently? Am I close? If so, just remember they will get theirs, karma, my friend karma. keep your head up :drink: