Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ASD 7's or Merc 6's on 850hp Cat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/147551-asd-7s-merc-6s-850hp-cat.html)

Buddy OO 12-20-2006 06:48 PM

ASD 7's or Merc 6's on 850hp Cat?

wondering what the differences will be between the 2 drives on a twin engine cat, obviously the 6's will handle more power but also are more than double the price, The asd's with bam 1500 tranny's seem to be a adequate package for 850 hp, and I've been told a little faster speed, there is huge weight difference as well, just looking for general comments comparing them. thanks

Dueclaws 12-20-2006 07:30 PM

Re: ASD 7's or Merc 6's on 850hp Cat?

I've had boats with Arnesons and #6s: like them both and would buy a boat with either setup.

Pro1 12-20-2006 07:56 PM

I have Arnesons 7M on the skater. I think Rik would state they can handle the same HP. The arneson has a Stainless prop shaft which will not rust like the six Monel. Two Skaters in NJ broke gears in the Dry Sump Number 6 drives and another friend cracked the gimble ring which had to be replaced. One other friend had water in the Dry Sump 6. The arneson is about 300lbs per side lighter and it appeara to be 10 mph faster than the six. The BPM boats appear to be faster but others would know better. The arneson plains much much quiker than a six as well. The 32 Skater can plane at 1100 rpm which I still cannot believe the boat jumps on plane at that RPM with 4BLADES........

The Number six is a great drive.

customryder 12-20-2006 07:59 PM

I have what you need :D

customryder 12-20-2006 08:03 PM

The best thing is no porpoise at any speed... see ky lake poker run in the video section.

Pro1 12-20-2006 09:12 PM

I am not bashin the six. Everything breaks. Somethings break less than others. I have been in both boats Arneson and Six Skaters and Nortechs and see little difference in ride. I have been 193 mph in an Arneson 40 Skater and am still very impressed.

vonwolske 12-20-2006 10:48 PM

There was a prior thread on ASD's.
I commented that notched transoms require that the ASD to be mounted too high above the departing sheet of water and hence cause the drive to be pointed downward to get the prop into the water. This can cause the boat to bow steer. Rik of ASD objected, but later did agree that if the down angle is excessive, that the handling may be a problem.
The SSM #6 doesn't have the problem when used on a notched transom. However, I still like the ASD far better.

Rik 12-21-2006 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by vonwolske
There was a prior thread on ASD's.
I commented that notched transoms require that the ASD to be mounted too high above the departing sheet of water and hence cause the drive to be pointed downward to get the prop into the water. This can cause the boat to bow steer. Rik of ASD objected, but later did agree that if the down angle is excessive, that the handling may be a problem.
The SSM #6 doesn't have the problem when used on a notched transom. However, I still like the ASD far better.

That's not really what I was saying.

The notch has no effect on a standard side by side installation and will not cause a trim angle adjustment as the notch ends at the standard 34.5" center distance and does not influence the installation.

Rather, a notched transom on a V bottom will require some filling of the notch in order to achieve a correct installation height in a Stagger installation. Else, the installation would not be possible with a full notch for the stagger installation.

Buddy OO 12-21-2006 03:14 AM

where did the knotched transom come from, not all cats have them and I believe they can be ordered either way by putting a plug in the mold.

GLH 12-21-2006 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by wiggler4490
...obviously the 6's will handle more power but also are more than double the price,...

Huge misconception or miscalculation.

When you come to sell or trade your boat, the Arnesons will make it less attractive to buyers or the dealer taking it in trade and you will pay for the difference in the Arnesons then. Pay now or pay, according to me a lot more later.

This has nothing to do with the technical merit of both systems it is just a question of marketability.

Everybody wants 6's.