Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stellings extension box refinish (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/147613-stellings-extension-box-refinish.html)

RedDog382 12-30-2006 04:38 PM

Re: Stellings extension box refinish

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr (Post 1970435)
The paint on ours started to peel off so we stripped them and painted them with imron. Here is how they came out.

LS, Jr.

Boxes look good. What did you use to strip them with?

open87 12-30-2006 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by RedDog382 (Post 1977549)
Good point. Think I will have them re-shot in Imron. Just need to find someone who can do the job right.

Guess I'm committed ... took one box off today and have everything disconnected to remove the other one tomarrow.

you get em blasted and i will paint them for you... just take care of shipping ...no charge... i use ppg dp and concept single stage...(do for a living)

RedDog382 12-31-2006 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by open72 (Post 1977719)
you get em blasted and i will paint them for you... just take care of shipping ...no charge... i use ppg dp and concept single stage...(do for a living)

Thanks for your very generous offer.

Would media-blasting be better than a chemical stripping? There is a chemical strip shop here in Toledo I have used before and have had good results. Or would chemicals interfere with adhesion?

Would it be better to do a chemical strip and then media-blast?

RedDog382 02-06-2007 01:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Making a little progress on this:

RedDog382 02-11-2007 07:18 PM

Ran into a potential problem with this project. Had the boxes and inspection covers chemically stripped and dusted them lightly in my sandblasting cabinet.

I plan to prime/paint the boxes, but had my powdercoater do just the covers. They bubbled pretty badly. He thinks it is due to residual chemical in the porous aluminum. He even ran them through his oven twice before powdercoating to dry out any residual. The stripping company states this is NOT from residual chemical, but from porous aluminum off-gassing from the heat.

If this is from residual chemical in the aluminum, will I also likely have a problem with primer/paint adherance?

dukenrock 02-11-2007 07:20 PM

Any luck at Pro Strip?

RedDog382 02-11-2007 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by dukenrock (Post 2023522)
Any luck at Pro Strip?

Kevin,

Busy weekend, haven't had a chance to contact them yet. On my "to do" list for tomarrow. Thanks for the lead.

Chris

dukenrock 02-11-2007 07:42 PM

I'll contact the powder coater I know tomorrow and see what he says too.

RedDog382 05-16-2007 03:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally have this project completed:

RedDog382 05-16-2007 03:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very special thanks to (FAT BOY) Mitch in Cleveland. Thanks also to Open 72 for the generous offer, and Dukenrock for the support.