Notices

Catalina Ski Race

Old 05-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalina Ski Race

I'm thinking of going out to Long Beach this year and checking out the Catalina Ski Race, I live in Sarasota and can't bring the boat. Looking for advice on where to stay, how to see the race? No point in going if I can't get out there and watch ya know, any info will help.......
Old 05-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Registered

Default Re: Catalina Ski Race

Greg, just go to Long Beach, find the Queen Mary, walk to the Hotel at the bow, and you'll be home. Best place to watch the start is from the transom of the QM, then walk back to the Hotel as the finish line is a line drawn right in front. Friday is great bench racing and sight seeing in the pits and launch ramp.
Remember, this race is only about 62 miles round trip from Long Beach to Catalina and back and the winner will be back in less than an hour if the water is smooth, just over an hour if rough. There should be around 100 teams starting this year (I ran it a few times with over 125 teams) with entries from all over the world. Todd Haig will be hard to beat this year again.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Registered

Greg,

Should be a great weekend this year. Catalina Ski race on Saturday and then Pacific Offshore will be holding the "Rum Run" a true offshore powerboat race on Sunday. The Rum Run has history going way back and will be brought back as an annual event. AMF Offshore Racing is the title sponsor for the event and it will be great weekend. The Queen Mary is the host hotel for the event and boat count should be bigger than we've seen in years.

The course will be approximately 75 miles running from the Queen to the north end of the island, back to Avalon harbor and then back to the queen. A true endurance run in the sometimes very big Pacific water.

I'm sure we can get you out on a boat if you're gonna make trip. Should be plenty of LaveyCrafts on the water that day.

Brian

BTW - some of the ski boat entries will be running on Sunday as well (as long as they don't break on Sat)
Old 05-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time you see the finish "LIVE", you wont beleive your eyes
Old 12-30-2006, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GREG SANDERS
I'm thinking of going out to Long Beach this year and checking out the Catalina Ski Race, I live in Sarasota and can't bring the boat. Looking for advice on where to stay, how to see the race? No point in going if I can't get out there and watch ya know, any info will help.......
Did you go? How was the finish?
Old 12-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg is getting ready to be a daddy , don't think he made it.