Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What hapend to the New England Races (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/148173-what-hapend-new-england-races.html)

CMG 01-26-2007 07:07 AM

Re: What hapend to the New England Races

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 2005648)
HORBA is Historic Offshore Race Boat Association

Check it out at www.historicraceboats.com

Charlie you are the author of my newest favorite quote! I just got the new issue of Extreme Boats and for those that did not see it you are describing the Miami to Bimini race in 1979;

"My throttleman being as competitive as always, kept the boat going just as if I was still conscious..." (!!!)

The story about Jack Stuteville jumping overboard since he couldn't continue due to a knee injury from a hard landing - and his team mate not even coming off plane for him speaks volumes about how seriously you guys took it!

Great article, all should read it.

rchevelle71 01-26-2007 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From what I hear this used to race in new england

rchevelle71 01-26-2007 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
now it looks ike this, and will be a pleasure boat in South Fl, ad n lake Wallenpaupack PA.

DoTheMath 01-26-2007 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by cowisl (Post 2005365)
Lake Winnipesaukee would be great. They had a huge turnout in the early/mid nineies

Loved those races - we sat anchored one year on the stretch just east of Welch Isl. (right up front and just outside the buoy-line). A couple of us were sitting on the bow of my Formula and an open class cat came by us close enough that the spray from it just missed us and I thought I was going to turn around and see my windshield shattered! He was coming right at us and one of my buddies litterally had one foot on the back seat ready to jump overboard - it was hysterical! I have VHS tapes from Jeff at FF of those races - those were great days. I think this year they are talkin' about having electric boat races on the lake, no noise and nothing above 7 mph :D

Sick Stinger 01-26-2007 11:27 AM

Thanks Top that makes sence right

Top Banana 01-27-2007 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by CMG (Post 2005675)
Charlie you are the author of my newest favorite quote! I just got the new issue of Extreme Boats and for those that did not see it you are describing the Miami to Bimini race in 1979;

"My throttleman being as competitive as always, kept the boat going just as if I was still conscious..." (!!!)

The story about Jack Stuteville jumping overboard since he couldn't continue due to a knee injury from a hard landing - and his team mate not even coming off plane for him speaks volumes about how seriously you guys took it!

Great article, all should read it.

Hey thanks......Listen I was just very lucky to happen to come along and be racing at the time and with the people that I did.

They were always very competitive in everything....and the thing that really put a point to it was, Betty Cook coming along and kicking our butts on a regular basis.

The sport was covered by the major media of the day...Sports Illustrated, Esquire Magazine, New York Times and a race boat was unique enough from the standard boat of the day, you really stood out when you pulled into a dock anywhere.

Let's get those NE races going again, so some young whipper snapper can have some great memories in another 40 years too.

www.historicraceboats.com

Sick Stinger 01-27-2007 06:16 AM

i will thankyou top

DONZI 01-27-2007 06:49 AM

It's great to see the Race Boat's coming to New England again !

http://www.offshoresuperseries.com/a....php?artID=150,

Aug. 3-5 The OSS boats travel to Providence, Rhode Island
I wonder what the course will be there ??

Sick Stinger 01-27-2007 12:14 PM

I dunno but prov is about 15 fromme so ill be there smilin

oldschoolfan 02-15-2007 07:32 AM

I have been away from the post

Looks llike the post srarted to pick up a little momentum for a while lets keep this going and see if we cn get some intrest and have a race.