Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I'm thinking about getting SeaTow Coverage... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/14822-im-thinking-about-getting-seatow-coverage.html)

Shooter 02-08-2002 11:03 AM

Sorry, my spelling sucks too... It's Sea Tow. Boat US just changed to match them. My friend had them and switched - he was on my boat for that fun - 8mph all the way. It was Oct. and it got chilly. I had to call on the cell because I was tucked in at the 23rd ST. Marina and they relayed it immediately. Smoked all our cigars and drank all the beer by the time we arrived at 2:30AM. I don't know about support for this or that, but I'm paying for a service. I might point out that I do support the sponsors of OSO!

Hey - none of that spun-prop stuff, I think I bought your Bravo 1 prop last year, didn't I?

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Shooter ]

CigDaze 02-08-2002 11:15 AM

What's up Dean?
I've got Boat-U.S. "Unlimited" Tow coverage for $99.00 per year. It includes coverage for any and all tows up to 25 miles offshore and 50 miles in any other direction from your home port. You also get Dock-to-dock coverage if your boat is not operational and you need to get it to a launch ramp or repair facility. It's great service and at that rate you really cen't beat it. Additional benefits are all the discounts you can get through them.

I would also strongly recommend them against that other tow company, simply because I know your beliefs and Boat-U.S. is strongly committed to and aligned with Boater's rights. You can read all about what they stand for and what they do on their site.
www.boatus.com

:cool:

seanclong 02-08-2002 11:17 AM

I have Boat U.S. for $99.00 per year. That covers unlimited towing.

Use it once and it will pay for itself for a decade. Without such coverage the towing/salvage charge could be beyond your wildest imaginination!!! :D The horror stories are staggering. Some people have lost their boats to tow companies as payment for services rendered.

Sean :)

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: seanclong ]

CigDaze 02-08-2002 11:22 AM

Great points, Sean!

BTW, I used to only be covered for I think $350.00 per tow and I believe that was $49.00 per year. Well, the one time I was stranded by bad fuel and vapor-locking in my old boat, I called Boat-U.S. to get towed in. The tow was only about 1 mile and took all of about 10 minutes. That short little tow came out to be $180.00. I realized immediately how these tow-in's can surmount incredible charges very quickly. Needless to say, had I been anywhere near my typical favorite watering holes, I could have been charged upwards of a couple thousand dollars. For $99.00 a year, I won't be caught dead without my Boat-U.S. card out on the water!

:cool:

Bill272 02-08-2002 11:36 AM

I don't have a choice in that Sea Tow isn't active in my area. But from what I've read, I'd most likely take Sea Tow if I could. I know that Boat/us had a restriction on how far they would go for you, like 25 miles, and Sea Tow would tow you 60 miles from Bimini if you needed it. You can still be a member of Boat/US, supporting them for thier boating initiatives, yet use Sea Tow for towing service.

Dean Ferry 02-08-2002 11:46 AM

BD,
What's happening? Well if BoatUS is good enough for you, then it's good enough for me! :D I just got off the phone with BoatUs and I'm now a member! :D BTW, they do have towing coverage for the Bahamas! Is that making you think about a "ROAD TRIP!!"
Shooter,
Did you buy that prop from Too Old? If you did, then yes it's a prop that I sold to Too Old! Gotta Love OSO, POWER TO POWERBOATERS everywhere!!! :D
MD

Red Stripe 02-08-2002 11:55 AM

I had to use Sea Tow once 5 or so years ago. I was my first boat and I was stranded only a mile or so from my boat launch. The Sea Tow guy saw me dead in the water and came over to see if I needed help. I didn't have much cash on me and told him that. He asked how much I had and I told him 20 bucks. He said "I can do that" and towed me back to the launch.
I haven't seen them around the last couple of years though so I'm not sure if it would help to get coverage where I'm at. I've never seen Boat/US on the water.

Shooter 02-08-2002 12:10 PM

Yeah, that's right I did get it from Too Old... now if we can work out the wife/girlfriend swapping thing. Hey I got a new idea for the clasified section!

Cord 02-08-2002 01:30 PM

Dean-your bud only deals in Merc stuff right? I havn't gotten around to buying much other than some misc. hardware stuff. The dealer will be handling the hardcore rigging and procuring. You know the deal, if you want him to stand behind it, you have to buy it from him.

I suppose your buddy is the fellow that's building the engines that we're not going to talk about. ;)

Just check the coverage maps before you buy. If I recall correctly, you're pretty well covered down there, but up here the coverage is spotty at best.

Whatever happened to the boaters creed? You know where one boater is supposed to tow another boater and turn down any compensation?

CigDaze 02-08-2002 01:31 PM

That's great, Dean! Good to hear it!
Now you can rest...uhh...Boat assured! It's good peace of mind. :D :D

...Road Trip,,,Did someone say Road Trip?...
:D ;) :cool: