Notices

Chicago Boat Show...

Old 01-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Charter Member # 1083
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be some place in that area at 2:30. Maybe we can discuss a plan for latter on in the evening then? I'm the old guy with a gray beard.
SEEEE YAAAAA
Bob
Old 01-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Charter Member # 1083
Charter Member

I'll be some place in that area at 2:30. Maybe we can discuss a plan for latter on in the evening then? I'm the old guy with a gray beard.
SEEEE YAAAAA
Bob
Old 01-25-2002, 07:11 PM
Intolerant1

Bob, your repeating yourself. Only a problem if you start answering yourself though

Old 01-25-2002, 07:16 PM
Charter Member # 1083
Charter Member

Sorry, that's what getting old does to you. (I didn't realize page 2 started)
Old 01-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, FYI, Just got back from the show and there is indeed a Beer Garden just outside of the Black Thunder booth. The Black Thunder is under the low roof area and the Beer Garden area is out in the open ceiling area.

Check out the 46' Cig in front of the Black Thunder Those twin Torque's are frick'n impressive.

Will post pics later tomorrow for the guys who could not make it to the show.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Jeff-
Sorry we missed you- we were there today and spent some time with Marc at the Black Thunder (nice!)
Going to the show was a little easier this year since we bought a 28 AT last month!
It's always nice to see all that new fiberglass in the middle of winter though! (50 degrees outside?)
Jim
Old 01-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I went Friday and was not impressed. I went 6 years ago, was not impressed, and I probably won't do that boat show again.

The guys at Grand Sport Center were very nice, great Sonics and Bajas to look at. Other than that...disappointing.

What amazes me is the attitude of the salespeople. Astonishing.

I bought my boat at Riverview, and went to the Donzi area and couldn't get the tim of day. Half of the salesmen appeard to have no tags on, and the others were just bs'ing amongst themselves. My salesman, who was very nice no longer works there. Not impressed.

The 33 Scarab was not even near the other Wellcraft stuff. The guys at the Cigarette area only acknowledged the guys with gray hair. (I am 31 and my friend with me is late 20's)

Walked around the Sunsations, nobody said Hi or squat. Then, around the Eliminator area, a salesman was standing there into space, while I tried to sneak a peak at the rear of a boat, and it wouldn't say a thing, move or anything.

I see everyone typing about Marc at the Black Thunder, but we went by 3 or 4 times, and it appears that is a "buddy get together". They stood inside the cockpit the whole time, talking amongst themselves and not acknowledging anyone. I simply had some questions on the poker run I wanted to ask, but didn't have the chance.

I'm not real aggressive with this. After all, they are there to let ME look, or sell ME a boat. Why is it a damn battering competition for us to beat the guys over the head to ask something? . I don't want to be "rude" and interrupt a conversation, either.

Sure, I wasn't extremely pissed, I'm not in the market this year, but will be again soon I'm sure, might be a year, might be 5, who knows, but we'll want bigger and faster.

At the Miami show, we were treated so much nicer by all, except the Fountain booth. Everyone there is apparently better than me and would rather play pocket pool than say Hi.

I go to these things expecting to talk to polite individuals who love boats. Not to be shrugged off like used toilet paper. Maybe I'm the same age as some of the salespeople, but that doesn't mean I can't afford a $150k boat. As my friend and I discussed, what if a person is 22, lives at home and has a good job, and blows all the money he or she makes on a boat?

I think people would sell more boats if they were nicer people. I feel like I'm the nerdy kid in high school trying to hang out with the football team. (yeah yeah, maybe I'm nerdy, but boat salesmen, well....they ain't no Michael Jordan...LOL!)

I was impressed by the guys at Grand Sport Center, and they had guys working the booth that were NOT boat salesman, but guys that bought boats FROM them and just love to talk about boats and such. That was a nice feeling. They had enough folks to handle all the people coming up and address them all. They said Hi when you walked up. That sure is nice.

Just my $.02.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:33 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
32 Fever, I agree with everything you said, including the Black Thunder booth. Heck, I stuck out like a sore thumb with all my OSO stuff on and not one person said anything about what it is or, hey I know that website etc...

Your right, the Cig guys needed your credit rating before they would say Hi. I did have a good conversation at both the Sunsation and Powerquest booth's but that was it.

I too have gone the last 6-7 years and this year was probably the worst. I think that since this is more of a dealer show than it is a manufactures show, and with the state of the economy (although it is getting better), I think most guys inventories are low and they brought what they had period.

Oh well, there is always Miami, if I can get down there
Old 01-26-2002, 09:39 PM
supercrash

Just got back..pretty much what 32fever said...Talked to the older Blackthunder salesman(not boatme)and he told me the Black thunder would run faster than the 46 Cig. if they both had trip 575's...and that the Black thunder weighed in at 12,000...compared to the heavier cig.That Black thunder boat was huge!!!!The deck was just massive..Can this be true????Wanted to talk to a Cig. salesman but there were none to be found...I bet if I jumped inside that 46 a salesman would have been there in 2 seconds.

Old 01-27-2002, 12:08 AM
Registered

supercrash,
I spoke with Bill from National marine on Thursday night. He didn't really want to help me. He stayed on his cell phone while I crawled around the 38' TS. It’s a nice boat but the wrong dealer. I guess I didn't look like a buying customer. Boy was he wrong.

I went back tonight and everyone form National had already gone back to Ohio. There was a factory rep their but no sales people. The rep told me it had been a slow show. Wonder why?

32fever,
I talked with Tim and Keith from Riverview both Thursday and tonight. They were the only two salespeople there. The rest were from Donzi and Powerquest. I guess we have to go to Miami to see all the other performance boats.

Anyone take a good look at the 38' Sonic?
Any comments pro or con?
Dan

Quick Reply: Chicago Boat Show...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.