Notices

Pulse Drive

Old 01-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Pulse Drive

Does anyone have any expierence with Pulse Drives. Handling, drivabilty, Docking. Any info would be helpfull
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pulse Drive

Well.......

I like our pulsedrive. I am still working with prop selection but I believe it will get worked out this Winter. The plusses are great handling, easy docking and no maintenance. It makes a great swim platform that is at water level. It allows you to get in shallow spots. The big minus is that it's not a merc product, so reselling the boat may be difficult for the money you want out of it.

I would not want to put a pulsedrive on a single engine vee bottom sport boat if I wanted anything but top end. You need twins to realize all the pulsedrive benefits.

Greg
(credit to OSO Smitty for the rooster tail shot)
Attached Thumbnails Pulse Drive-psi-surface-drive.jpg   Pulse Drive-env.jpg  

Last edited by Frequency; 01-05-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does the pulse compare to the asd 7, what is it rated hp at, what about price , is it similar to arneson, does it have tranny?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered

Frequency how does your boat handle when it get rough meaning 2-3's . Also how does handle in the turns.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a 29' Infinity with a Pulse drive. It was a single with I think 450 hp. It handled extremly well! The main difference between a Pulse and an ASD7 is you stear with the drive. There is a rudder directly behind the prop.
There is a trasmission and the drive can be built to handle most any HP.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My boat handles OK in the rough, but it could be better. The inner strakes run all the way to the transom on Envisions - lots of stern lift. At speeds over 80 mph the bow is pretty much planted. We'll be taking some hook out of the bottom that should free up the bow. Turns are no problem. My trannies are ZF-63A's upgraded by Huber and are good to 1100 Hp. The u-joint betweeen the tranny and prop shaft is the same one used on Merc's #6 drive. Set the rev limiter to protect the engines and you don't need to deal with the throttles much when getting a lot of air.

I know it may be a tough sell when I'm ready for a different boat, but the benefits of this system are worth the hit. When we raft up you can sit on the platform with your legs in the water. Tube the kids and pull the tube up on the platform for loading and unloading. I can back into a slip with precision, due in part to the smooth shifting transmissions.

I'm pretty close to pulsedrive management. Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited by Frequency; 01-05-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered

I know that with Arnesons it is harder to dock, I was on the Hustler and expierenced it first hand. Also at top speed the boat feels loose, is Pulse the same way.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,
I have purchased a new digital camera so I can get you some even better shots this summer !!!!

Smitty
Old 01-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by baja27
I know that with Arnesons it is harder to dock, I was on the Hustler and expierenced it first hand. Also at top speed the boat feels loose, is Pulse the same way.
I drove 2 back to back Hustlers, one with Vyper motors and Arnesons and then the Merc motors with bravo's. The Arneson boat got on plane quicker, backed into the dock as good, but when turning sharp at higher rates of speed on this particular hull, which can get squirly to begin with you had to get use to it. I personally have no problems with them. They are more reliable, can handle more horsepower, downside not as serviceable. A friend has them on a 38 Hustler with 950hp per side, not one problem once all the adjustments were made. I also have straight ASD-8's on my Nortech, very pleased when I went on my test ride, handles and docks as good as my Speedmaster #5's did on my 04 Nortech 4300. Jeff
Old 01-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Registered

Jassman when where docking, was it in strong current? Having the props higher up means less bite at slow speeds. Also getting up plan you really have to tach it up 4500-5000rpm. On the Pulse drive it is a rudder system so that is why I am curious as to how it handles vs a bravo style.

Quick Reply: Pulse Drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.