Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Headgaskets ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/148406-headgaskets.html)

littledcsrodshop 01-03-2007 12:29 PM

Headgaskets ?

Please only answer this if you have had experiance & not if you are just reading headgasket sales liturature !
I am getting ready to order some headgaskets for my Superchargerd BBC It is 511 CU " 4.375 bore X 4.250 stroke. Mark 4 block ( 14044807 ) Roughly 8:1 CR. & probably no more that 8 lbs. of boost. It has already been reciever groveed & o-ringed , Head studs. I have 2 questions first of all has anybody had experiance with the SCE Titan ( no sealent required ) copper gaskets ??? Next question : Ifnot , or ifso ect.. What gasket would you recomend , & ifnot the SCE self sealer what sealer would you recomend on your recomendation.
part # 's welcome I will probably use the thinnest gasket I can get. Thanks in advance, Scott

mrhorsepower1 01-03-2007 12:46 PM

Re: Headgaskets ?

First off, It would have been nice if the block and heads where not machined yet the way they are. I run Cometics MLS gaskets on the majority of the supercharged packages. Did you have a automotive engine builder do this type of machining? A couple things you need to find out so this works well for you- 1.) How much o-ring protrusion do you have? 2.) How deep did they machine the reciever groove and how wide? 3.) What width o-ring wire ? I use a copper gasket with a special graphite water jacket insert on marine engines that are supercharged. I DO NOT recommend the use of the reciever groove! We have done much with this set up in BIG horsepower blown and nitrous engines for Drag Racing. The relationship between the o-ring wire and reciever groove has to be perfect or you could have leakage problem. Let me know if you need the head gaskets. PM me if so. Hope this will help you.

Dean

littledcsrodshop 01-03-2007 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1 (Post 1981105)
First off, It would have been nice if the block and heads where not machined yet the way they are. I run Cometics MLS gaskets on the majority of the supercharged packages. Did you have a automotive engine builder do this type of machining? A couple things you need to find out so this works well for you- 1.) How much o-ring protrusion do you have? 2.) How deep did they machine the reciever groove and how wide? 3.) What width o-ring wire ? I use a copper gasket with a special graphite water jacket insert on marine engines that are supercharged. I DO NOT recommend the use of the reciever groove! We have done much with this set up in BIG horsepower blown and nitrous engines for Drag Racing. The relationship between the o-ring wire and reciever groove has to be perfect or you could have leakage problem. Let me know if you need the head gaskets. PM me if so. Hope this will help you.

Dean

I am not shure how deep the groove was machined , but the oring protrues about .010 & it is .050 wide. Do you use any sealer on those gaskets , or does the graphite water jakets take care of that ?

Panther 01-03-2007 02:54 PM

I had copper gaskets in my motors when they were first built.... JUNK!

Had the o-ring machined out of one and replaced with commetic. We scrapped the copper gasket in the other motor for a performance gasket graphite gasket.

My motors were leaking water into the block after only 1-2 hours of sea time... Never again!! :(

littledcsrodshop 01-04-2007 09:06 AM

Keep them coming

mrhorsepower1 01-04-2007 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop (Post 1981196)
I am not shure how deep the groove was machined , but the oring protrues about .010 & it is .050 wide. Do you use any sealer on those gaskets , or does the graphite water jakets take care of that ?

Zero sealer is used the graphite inserts seal the water. They work great! Like I said prior, mill out the reciever grooves. You will be fine!

427eliminator 01-04-2007 01:41 PM

I agree about the coper gaskets. I have run several coper gaskets with o-rings and if you spike the water preasure they will leak for sure almost regardless of the sealer used on the water ports. They are ok for drag racing but they can not deal with the scuffing caused by thermal expansion especially if you are using aluminum heads. I have had mixed results with the felpro marine ss wire core gaskets. They seem ok on the smaller motors but never worked good on the big displacements. The cometics are the way to go. They built me a custom gaskets for my current motors 632's with aluminum heads aprox 9:1 and 7 lbs of boost with 1471 chargers. Several people I know have exceeded 15-20 lbs of boost with no reliability problems. I would strongly recomend loosing the o-rings now while you are already torn down.

Paul

littledcsrodshop 01-04-2007 01:50 PM

Have you ( or anybody else ) ever used the SCE self sealing Titan ? They make it in a Titan , & a Titan ICS. The ICS is made for blocks & heads that have NOT been grooved , & the Titan is made for blocks & heads that HAVE been grooved & ringed already. I just wanted to explain that so I make shure we are all on the same page.
Please don't think I am questioning your advise as I have heard alot of good things on here about Cometic gaskets. I would just rather machine the orings out of my block considering the shortblock is togather , headstuds in ect..
& I would love to be able to use gaskets that don't require sealer such as the SCE Titan , or a Cometic for that matter.
Another question ?? Can I use the Cometics that you are talking about with my orings ???

427eliminator 01-04-2007 03:31 PM

The cometics are an mls gasket not a graphite composite and that is why they can handle the boost so well and are normally installed dry. In my aplication there was a question of one embossment that they suggested a small amount of silicone to be sure and it has worked perfectly for me. I honestly do not know if they have a gasket for use with o-ringed blocks it is not listed on there web site but give them a call there # is 800-752-9850. They will custom make gaskets for almost any application so if anyone can make it work without machining they would be the ones to try. Good luck with it.

Paul

Panther 01-04-2007 03:54 PM

I'm not sure they can be used. If JC could have used it on the one block that was O-Ringed, he would have. FYI, he suggested that we tear the bottom end down and mill out the o-ring but I decided not too.... In hindsight I wish I did...

The second motor was completely torn down and the o-ring was milled out so we could use the Cometics.

Thank god JC has his head screwed on because there was a lot of stuff he fixed the right way for me! ;)