Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pulse Drive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/148560-pulse-drive.html)

Frequency 01-06-2007 04:08 PM

Re: Pulse Drive

baja27 - My Envision doesn't feel loose at high speeds. The key to a successful installation is prop selection. When you trim the drive all the way down the props are pretty deep in the water. I don't have to tach up too high to get on plane. The rudders work well when on plane, and they are OK at idle speeds as long a serious course correction isn't necessary. It's no big deal to shift the transmissions in and out of neutral to turn corners. I can spin the boat in place easily. Once I get the hull bottom cleaned up and bigger props I'll be good to go.

Jassman 01-07-2007 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by baja27 (Post 1984612)
Jassman when where docking, was it in strong current? Having the props higher up means less bite at slow speeds. Also getting up plan you really have to tach it up 4500-5000rpm. On the Pulse drive it is a rudder system so that is why I am curious as to how it handles vs a bravo style.

As to the docking with the Hustlers it was not a strong current, could not tell the difference between both the bravo and the asd-6. Also on my Arneson ASD-8 on my 4300 vs my #5 set up on the same boat the Arneson boat had a slight advantage in turning and planing, my #5's were on boxes to act like a #6, the x-dimension might have been a 1/2 high. I also have a friend with 950's/asd-6's in a 38 hustler, had problems planing at first, around 4500rpms, changed a few props, now planes around 3000 rpms, which is normal.

As to the pulse, I know of one, a Black Thunder, it lost 9mph. Also a 38 McManus Cig had them and switched back. There are two people that have them on this board and appear to be happy. I cant tell you if they gained or lost speed on their conversion but they need to anwser your Q's. With any drive there will always be a give or take depending on the application. Do your homework, go for a few rides and talk to the ACTUAL people who have the systems in place in getting the correct info. Good Luck. Jeff

baja27 01-07-2007 07:36 AM

Thanks Jassman , I looking at a boat that has them on. Also that Hustler got to be a scary ride with such big power.
Frequency did your boat come that way or did you install it and would you go this direction again.
Thanks

Frequency 01-07-2007 09:31 AM

I assisted a good local rigger with the installation. I bought the boat finished w/o power. The pulsedrive was the NMMA new product of the year in 2004 which shows it's potential. The number of installed units is probably much lower than Arnesons, so there is not a lot of field experience with this drive system. With the right props and a good hull bottom I think the pulsedrive has a lot to offer. :cool:

baja27 01-08-2007 09:11 PM

Has anyone seen the 38 powerplay with this drive set up

Jupiter Sunsation 01-08-2007 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by baja27 (Post 1987091)
Has anyone seen the 38 powerplay with this drive set up

email/call/pm Steve at offshore only. He is the man when it comes to Powerplays.