Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Concerning Cord's damaged boat for sale....... >

Concerning Cord's damaged boat for sale.......

Notices

Concerning Cord's damaged boat for sale.......

Old 01-23-2002, 06:29 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I sold the boat, he was fully aware of the crack. He received the exact same pictures that Waterfoul will be posting. I also answered every question truthfully. Originally he was buying the boat for his own use. Kinda sounded like he had never done something like this before. I figured that he was about to learn a boating expense lesson, but I knew that I wasn't ripping him off as the value was in the parts not the hull. A short time after the boat was sold he told me that "his father felt the boat was too big" so he was going to sell it. Ok, whatever. He asked for my help in selling it and I told him that I was willing to give it. The next thing I knew the boat was like new and ran faster than ever with fewer hours and less power. I have absolutly no problem with anybody taking a boat, repairing it and reselling it for a profit. Hell, I would have done it myself if I felt that I could guarantee a quality repair.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:36 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Cord I wasn't questioning you or even him for that matter I guess. I really am curious as to what it would take, time wise to do the required repairs properly. I can see where this whole situation could get to someone though, especially yourself. Sounds by what you have said that he was trying to work you.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 01-23-2002, 06:45 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Niuhi-I you posted while I was working on my post, so there are no problems.

To answer your question, I had one guy offer to fix it over the phone for $1,200. I had another guy offer to fix it for $14,000. Which one was right? I will never know because the first offer was figuring on no core rot and the second offer was figuring on alot of core rot. Please understand that we had a visible crack. Any other damage was a assumption that could only be determined through the use of implements of distruction.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Look at the pics I just posted. I've seen this kind of damage before, and the way Cord's hull looked, I would say that the crack was only the tip of the iceberg!! The open crack may have only been 12" long, but the spiders ran for FEET in each direction. The entire aft end of that boat needed to be replaced to have it done correctly.

I ran my boat aground at Hamlin Lake 5 years ago. Put a crack in the bottom. I had one of the best glass shops in the area do the repair. He removed about a 3' section of my bottom till he got to dry core. Then let the boat dry for 3 days with heat lamps under it. Then he replaced the core, faired in the glass, and shot the gel coat. This repair took about 20 days to do, from the time he put the first grinder to it, to the time I got "the call" that it was ready. I would challenge anyone to find where the repair was done. It's been 5 years, and I run my boat hard on Lake Michigan. Not a crack has resurfaced in all this time. And my damage was not anywhere near what you see in the pictures of Cord's boat.

Not hacking on any one here. Just saying I have been down this road and have seen first hand what it takes to fix it right. I stopped in nearly every day to see the progress. I learned a lot about boat repair and fiberglass in those 3 weeks.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Registered

I looked at the pics Waterfoul posted, not that bad of a crack, I believe it could be fixed with no real problems inside and out all done from the outside including foam core if needed, as for the cracks( spider webbing ) can be also taken care of by the same process, Glass Dave what are your opinions, Now if stringers or bulkheads are soft that would be a completly different story!!

My .02 cents,

Or you could just shove a towel in it, have done it before, saved the rig from kissing the bottom of the gulf stream
Old 01-23-2002, 07:10 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Was Cord's damage accessible from the inside? What was on the inside of the hull in that area of the boat? Just curious....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 01-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

The damage is directly under the oil pan. The crack on the inside (from what I could feel) was about 6" long. And growing as the boat moved forward, I'm sure. Beleive me guys, the pics don't do it justice. It looked worse up close, with your own eyes.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:33 PM
rwilson

Waterfoul:

Thanks for the checking this out...

I'm still wondering how this guy expects to sell this boat?? Disclosing a cracked hull is only 1/3 the pain... what about the stringers and the Balsa Mush Core? His asking price should be on par with Cords... it's still a parts boat... Ever heard of Perfuming the Pig? This fella bought her a dress, too!

Old 01-23-2002, 09:42 PM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Thanks for the response Cord. Like I said before having never done anything like that I was curious as to what was involved.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 01-23-2002, 11:54 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The high price had figured on striping the interior so the floor could be pulled. We needed to know where the glass from the gas tank area was from. He had not included the cost to pull the engine so the boat could be flipped. He had figured on replacing a 4'x4' piece of balsa coring. This was determined by the scientific method of thumping on the hull. Basically he priced his work to be sure there would not be any extras. The total was like 95% labor and 5% for materials.

Quick Reply: Concerning Cord's damaged boat for sale.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.