Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Formula 271,Baja 272,Velocity 280, or Fountain 27?.... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/14878-formula-271-baja-272-velocity-280-fountain-27-a.html)

BillR 01-24-2002 07:56 AM

If you want a Baja 272, there is a super clean one at Duckys boats in PA. The ex-owner is my freind and he kept that boat REAL Clean. I think asking price is 49K.
It is a '00 272 boss with a 502.

Also look at the CLEANEST 28' PowerQuest. Duckys has my old boat there too. (We both bought new 34's) '00 PowerQuest 280 Silencer w/ a 502, LOADED. SUPER CLEAN (I even waxed the bilge) I think Duckys is askin $55K.

26scarab 01-24-2002 08:22 AM

These are just my opinions

Formula: Great family boat , rides good ,looks good ,alot of amenities for a boat that size and great quality. good cabin space. On the downside ,it is kind of pricey and not the fastest thing on the water.

Baja: Great looking and priced good. also has a good sized cabin. Cons, I have friends in the marine repair services and have been told NOT to by them.

Velocity: Decent looking , fast , did I mention fast ! Decently priced. Cons:Small cabin, Quality.

Fountain: Here is a quote from a friend of mine about these boats "This is what everyone's working up to !" Now he wants a Cigarette...go figure !
Great looking boat ,fast, and good quality.
Cons: small for a 27, rough riding, pricey.

Another suggestion would be a 28 Active Thunder. I know when I upgrade it will be one.

baja27 01-24-2002 08:30 AM

Looked at all of them except for Velocity. Fountain was over priced plus the boat is small it's like a 24. Plus didn't like the dune buggy steering wheel. Formula is a nice boat but also a little pricy.I'm a your average 6' guy and the seating in the Formula was not comfortable for me. I don't think any one can deny that you get a lot of amenities on the baja for the price. Mine has boss package and a 502 and tops out at 68 on the gps. :)

BAJA WILL 01-24-2002 08:38 AM

IDRPSTF
I agree with your observations. I have a 2001 27 Fountain 500efi, Great boat, runs very fast, I know Velocity is very fast also. If looking at new, Fountain holds its value very well. But the cabin is small. I will look for the PB mag showing the comparison. Remember though, some cost more but come w/ std with features like Hydo steering, eletric bolsters, Hydro props, Gaff gauges......wich if orderd on other boats actually bring the price the same or higher, PB addressed this in the artical.

PS, Damn I am 25, wish I my Dad had a boat like these when I was a teenager

WILL ;) :D :D

IDRPSTF 01-24-2002 12:55 PM

SpeedDoc- Check your email

Jana 01-24-2002 01:11 PM

If you're willing to go a few years older, consider a 29 Fountain. Mine's a fresh water '96 w/HP500 that I got for under your price range. Cabin's a little small, but otherwise, great boat.

26scarab 01-24-2002 01:13 PM

Jana ,
Why are you selling ? Hopefully you will be replacing it!
The cabin may be small but it is just big enough ! ;)

Jana 01-24-2002 01:51 PM

No, no definitely NOT selling. Just suggesting that SpeedDoc should look at the 29 and that he could probably get a really good deal on an older one. Any one who wants "Live Wire" is going to have to offer me twice what she's worth and pry my hands off the wheel and throttle.

mmo jo 01-24-2002 05:47 PM

What kind of running are you going to do?If you want speed ,handeling,large cabin,deep cockpit.Go with a velocity.And thay ride great if you know how to drive one.A280 with a hp500=80+mph easy fully loaded.The waranty is great .Im on my 3rd one no problums.I beat my 390 poker run to death like I do every boat I have owned.how many factorys can you call if you have a problum.Call the factory ask for Scott 1407 321 1340 to set up a time for a ride.

Padraig 01-24-2002 06:46 PM

Reference 26 Scarabs remark about the 280 Velocity having a small cabin, the cabin is as big or bigger then the other boats mentioned. Deep cockpit, big cabin (for this size boat)and if the power is equal you will be in the fastest boat.