Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What to do, what to do??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/148832-what-do-what-do.html)

Top Banana 01-09-2007 02:49 PM

Re: What to do, what to do???

Originally Posted by Tantrum (Post 1987899)
Outboards Only :drink:
I would also be careful who I sold them to, to rig. If Im looking at a boat and the rigging is junk, I usually dont take the time to ask who rigged it, I just move on to another boat.

I would see if you cant start a relationship with someone to rig/finish them off for you and sell them complete. Or make the inhouse finished boats easily identifiable ie: Gloucester Fisherman 27 "Limited" or "Special" etc.

Since our background is strictly racing, all the rigging that we would allow, would have to be to what we consider racing standards and by someone that we are familiar with their work.

The only exception, would be if someone wanted to buy these 2, 27 foot hulls and decks that came with the sale....we would sell them as is without our name on them and someone could assemble them and rig them. They both have 140 gallon fuel tanks in them.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it, and can see that outboards only is the way to go.

Bostonirish 01-09-2007 05:02 PM

with a name like Gloucester Fishermen, you got to off er it in a single diesel version. If you don't mind me asking, were was that pic taken with the tanker truck in the background? Good friend of mines father owns that company. Just curious.

bouyhunter 01-09-2007 05:10 PM

I would also have to say O/B's for that if it is to be set up as a CC.

The hulls that you have - what is the HID saying is the manufacturer??
Just curious.

Oh, and Happy BD to HORBA!!
I love what you guys are doing.

nocigarette 01-09-2007 05:17 PM

Definatly outboards,,,,,,it would seem weird to hear a fishing boat coming

oldschoolfan 01-09-2007 05:25 PM

Charlie

I would carefuly consider a single i/o diesel. I am from Cape Cod and do quite a bit of fishing and have run around in all diffrent cc boats. The best boat I ever ran was the formula 233 that started life as a cuddy it was converted into a cc and they put a 240 hp yanmar with a bravo 3 ran better than any ob boat and burned 5 to 6 gal an hr at a 35 knot cruise.

I would consider going with the i/o option.

Hey on a diffrent note do you have any old bananas in the horba that are ready to race yet. I am getting ready to buy an older banana boat thatdid a little racing in it's past.

Oldschoolfan

Donman 01-09-2007 05:28 PM

I agree with everyone here. Outboards on a CC is the ONLY way to go. I really like the idea of selling without power. That gives the buyer a lot of options.

I would love to relocate to FL and be on your payroll !

Top Banana 01-10-2007 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfan (Post 1988164)
Charlie

I would carefuly consider a single i/o diesel. I am from Cape Cod and do quite a bit of fishing and have run around in all diffrent cc boats. The best boat I ever ran was the formula 233 that started life as a cuddy it was converted into a cc and they put a 240 hp yanmar with a bravo 3 ran better than any ob boat and burned 5 to 6 gal an hr at a 35 knot cruise.

I would consider going with the i/o option.

Hey on a diffrent note do you have any old bananas in the horba that are ready to race yet. I am getting ready to buy an older banana boat thatdid a little racing in it's past.

Oldschoolfan

If we did a diesel option, which set up would people like to see?

The Merc package with sterndrive .....what else is out there?

Phil M 01-10-2007 07:54 AM

Charlie - consider both I/O or Outboard - create a engine box - as an option - build to clients demands - individually - you should send the finished boats to a rigging shop for the I/O's - like Kurts Marine - also other shops like Bridge Marine in Point Pleasant NJ for Merc Outboards - then you are just a boat builder - not a rigger - that will help keep your costs in line - Do what you do best - and let others do what they do best - just my 2 cents worth ! PHIL

Panther 01-10-2007 08:12 AM

In a boat that small I would want an OB... Less rigging and more space in the cockpit for fishing.

As for Diesel, I would save that for a trawler version. Not many diesels out there in a center console. Given the length and width of the boat the Diesel may be too heavy. Also, I wonder what the cost differential is between a single O/B and a diesel. You may price yourself right out of that market.

On every small center console that I've ever been on with an I/O the motor box always got in the way when trying to fish of the back. The ony boat's that were any good had a v-drive where the motor was under the center console but I'd rather have a bathroom or storage under there.

I think this is a good question to ask on a fishing only website. What's important to powerboaters isn't as important to a fisherman.

Frank

Top Banana 01-10-2007 01:57 PM

Thank you everyone.

I think we have pretty much decided that we are going to stick to outboards on a bracket for the 24 and 27 at this time.

We are going to blow out the two 27 foot hulls and decks that came with the deal cheap and then start fresh with our own stuff. Any one interested, PM me.

Maybe at some future point, if the diesels become more popular, we can take another look at it.