Notices

What to do, what to do???

Old 01-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts
Default What to do, what to do???

It is one year today since HORBA was started and I am very deeply invloved with that....especially since we have some great plans for the future.

I am also involved with my son in Banana Boat Co and bringing on the new models....a long wait but almost there.

And now, I find myself in partnership with an old racing buddy frm the 70's, we just bought the molds etc of a center consloe deep V. Our new company will be called Gloucester Fisherman.

My feeling is, we should only make outboard powered boats and sell them ready to be rigged. The other alternative would be to have an option for sterndrives too. But that would mean a lot more people on the payroll to complete the installations etc.

We will be making these in a 27 foot model..(the hull was made years ago from a 27 Magnum) and a 24 foot model, the hull coming from the 24 Banana / Cigarette, and a 30 something foot, sometime in the future.

We have a few hulls and decks and consoles, that came with the deal that I say we should just blow out, let someone else finish them with outboards on a bracket.

BUT...fellow OSO people.... What to do......just outboards or sterndrive too? What is your valued opinion??

Pictures below are the 27 foot with a small cabin in front and console in place.
Attached Thumbnails What to do, what to do???-benihana-transfer-october-06-002-small-.jpg   What to do, what to do???-benihana-transfer-october-06-001-small-.jpg   What to do, what to do???-cent-console6-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 01-09-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: What to do, what to do???

Honestly, in a smaller (under 30') center console, I wouldn't want inboards. Outboards are lighter, trim higher, are easier to maintain and free up more room inside. I don't see too many inboard c/c's and for the reasons above, I can understand why.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Honestly, in a smaller (under 30') center console, I wouldn't want inboards. Outboards are lighter, trim higher, are easier to maintain and free up more room inside. I don't see too many inboard c/c's and for the reasons above, I can understand why.
Thanks.....I agree with you....we are better off working with a dealer of outboards..(dealers) for various brands and let them finish the rigging.

Outboards on a bracket...... I think are better in these sizes.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outboards only, no telling what requirements will placed on inboards regarding emissions etc and the packaging changes that may be required for some States.

Besides, with outboards you only have to deal with the quality/warranty of the boat.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep ..... Just Outboards !
Old 01-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Outboards are the bulk of this market.

Plus, who says you can't add ihe I/O's later?
Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Outboards.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outboards Only
I would also be careful who I sold them to, to rig. If Im looking at a boat and the rigging is junk, I usually dont take the time to ask who rigged it, I just move on to another boat.

I would see if you cant start a relationship with someone to rig/finish them off for you and sell them complete. Or make the inhouse finished boats easily identifiable ie: Gloucester Fisherman 27 "Limited" or "Special" etc.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more vote for O/B only.....and I like that hull.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree outboard only.

Everything else aside, from the business aspect of it by sticking with outboard only you will keep your costs down and allow you to become profitable in a shorter timeframe.

I like the fact that you are putting a cabin in the 27 footer. Its rare to find cc's with cabins until you get above the 30ft range. I think this will be a selling point for a lot of people who like the versatility of a cc without sacrificing protection from the elements, a place for the kid to nap, a place to change clothes, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.