Notices

Boating Accidents

Old 01-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boating Accidents

In light of the current tragedy, and out of respect for the family, I decided to make this a new post, instead of with in the other thread. But towards the end of the discussion I noticed a few people had some serious insite, and experience, on what kind of things contribute to the physics, of a powerboating accident, and the history and causes of some other accidents. Maybe we should get more active and start a section, or a thread where we can speak freely about past accidents and the causes, physics, and conditions, and possible ways to avoid or cope with such conditions. Discussions like this would be an extremely valuable asset to me, and hopefully many others on the board.
Lets face it boats are getting much faster these days.

SEE MY POST BELOW, #4

Last edited by spk1; 01-09-2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boating Accidents

I often compare boating and flying and one thing flying does well is analyze accidents and publish information about causes. The NTSB does on thier website and most flying magazines have "never again" or "learned about flying from" articles to help educated others of mistakes made.

My flight instructor made me read reports about accidents, not to scare me but teach me even high time pilots made mistakes and not to get over confident

Seems like in the boating community accidents aren't discussed much as it may negatively impact the sport. just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Registered

and many are getting older, too. I would like someone to address fiberglass fatigue and hull lifespans. I've seen some Apache's getting outfitted with more HP today than they had 15-20 years ago when they were new. Maybe they can handle it, but how can you know? How do you know when the hull is too fatigued to be safe for a particular amount of HP?

I'm fully aware that the jury is still out as to why this PP shattered and I'm not trying to suggest it's because of fatigue or any other reason. It's just that the issue of fatigue and hull safety is of particular interest to me and my 15 year old vessle.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

OH Yea,
And I had some extra time to spend searching around the site,, and unlesss Steve set it up just a few minutes ago,, I have to go ahead and mark my original post, down with the automobile,,, electricity,,TV, and a few other really great ideas that I thought up just a little too late, hehe We have a "BoatingSafety" forum,, so hopefly we can throw around a few new topics in there.

Last edited by spk1; 01-09-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spk1
OH Yea,
And I had some extra time to spend searching around the site,, and unlesss Steve set it up just a few minutes ago,, I have to go ahead and mark my original post, down with the automobile,,, electricity,,TV, and a few other really great ideas that I thought up just a little too late, hehe We have a "BoatingSafety" forum,, so hopefly we can throw around a few new topics in there.

10-4 Good Buddy
Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered

Yea, bro thanks for the heads up on that, hehe maybe I need a new wing man, lol
Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spk1
Yea, bro thanks for the heads up on that, hehe maybe I need a new wing man, lol
no big deal the other thread you started should be some godd reading.