How to keep the joy riders out? >

How to keep the joy riders out?

Notices

How to keep the joy riders out?

Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

When I go to sell my boat I could be so lucky to have a bunch of people ask for a test ride. Like Chris said, slow times for powerboat sales. In my experience these buyers drive quite a distance to see these boats, that generally means they're interested. If it's some kid on the gas dock I'll pass on that one, but if they're coming from a distance I'll take them out no problem, I like being out anyway so it's no big deal. I've done plenty of transactions without the pre-deal gobble-t-gook.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
Or you can do what I did, make the test drive part of your survey. If they are willing to pay for a survey the're already deep into it.

What does a survey cost?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
When you buy a home, the purchase is contingent upon an inspection. That comes after a binding contract is executed and a deposit is placed. A high-value boat should be no different. Your sales contract should stipulate the terms acceptable based on the results of the inspection and what percentage of the deposit would be returned if the property failed specific areas of the inspection. If the inspection turned up specific elements that differed from the seller's statement of condition and performance, the buyer should be entitled to 100% of the deposit returned. If the buyer just changes their mind, an amount equal to compensate for reasonable time and expenses could reasonably be withheld.

If you want to avoid misunderstandings that will cause grief and friction (and possibly litigation) your sales agreement should be as complete as a standard real estate agreement- maybe you can get a copy from a professional broker- most are very similar.

On the other hand, you do risk scaring a buyer away- they're pretty scarce these days- especially in January.
I will look into a buyers contract of sort. Thanks for the input. All the other boats I have sold have been under $100,000. I figure I will not get any calls from up north for a couple of months. I have a local guy that want to go out next week.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered

My survey was $18/ft with a min of $550 plus $100 a motor if desired.

Last edited by prostock85; 01-13-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to go for a test ride.
Let me call a couple friends to go with us, and we'll bring the beer

Good luck with the sale.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by prostock85
My survey was $18/ft with a min of $550 plus $100 a motor if desired.
Thanks for the info, that would be around a $1000 so that would keep anyone that is not serious.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
I'd like to go for a test ride.
Let me call a couple friends to go with us, and we'll bring the beer

Good luck with the sale.
It is 80 degress and sunny right now, too bad I have to go to work while I see the neighbors heading out with their boats.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pull the power out and sell it seperately. I've sold quite few boats without engines and it sure beats the heck out of the whole sea trial deal.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Mike...

Beautiful boat. If I could say in good conscience that I was in the market, I'd be asking for a ride!

I had by boat for sale a couple years ago. Met a couple of blow hards, a couple bottom feeders, and one seriuos buyer. In my opinion, your concern is very valid. (Have you been contacted by the low life looking for you to "donate" the boat for some insanely low amount and they will provide a donation reciept for some outrageously inflated figure?)

First pass I'd go the way of a contract to sell contingent on test ride. (I would be very leery of a test drive...your safety, boat's safety, and your insurance may cover only named operators.) Frankly, if they will not go to contract before a test ride, they very well may not be a serious buyer. In all likelyhood, I'd seriously consider stopping here.

Considering the slow market, you might to determine up how qualified they are (previous boats owned, how far did they traveled, how will they pay for it, drivers record, gut feel...). Also evaluate how big of a deal it is for you to take them out. For example, I had some people show up at the marina via boat. Then they heard the boat was for sale and had the marina call me...they wanted a ride. 45 minute car ride each way for me. To qualify them, I said I was unable to do it then, but would gladly make an appointment for them to come back. Never heard from them since. A good bet they were not a buyer for my boat. If you do think they are a qualified buyer, even if they will not do a contingent contract, try to get fuel money, rounded up to some multiple of 100. If they will not go that route, personally, I'd thank them very much for their interest in your boat...and decline the ride.

Joel

what do you think is the best way to keep me from taking joyriders out? I was thinking if they are serious enough to take a test ride then they can fill up the boat with gas on the way out? Any other ideas? This is the boat. http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-12195.html

Thanks Mike[/QUOTE]
Old 01-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at the pics , nah wouldn't pull those out. Easy fix, just sell the boat to Carter , take his cc on a trade.

Quick Reply: How to keep the joy riders out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.