Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How to keep the joy riders out? >

How to keep the joy riders out?

Notices

Old 01-13-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

As for deposits and such, I think it would depend on the buyer, obviously if some one drives a 100 miles or more to look at your boat, their serious. If some one asked me for a $1000 to just see if the motors run, I would laugh and walk. Also a test drive does not need to be long I would say 30 min max, by then they know if they are going to buy or not.

Case in point I looked at a 31 Scarab in 1999 drove from VA to SC to look at it (set an appointment time w/ dealer) had a certified check to buy and the dealer didn't even offer to start it up for me (note he advertised the motors as rebuilt). I just walked, their were too many other boats out there for me to give business to an azz.

Fine line to walk,

WILL
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike, I feel your pain neighbor! I'd think that somebady that is really interested in buying your boat would do a contract like others have mentioned. You need to qualify the potential buyer. Most will see that your boat is in like new shape and you could start it on the lift to prove it runs. If they are still interested then the contract, proof of money to purschase (ie finances). final deal would be a seatrial down the bay. Yes it's a lot of work selling a boat.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I just looked at the pics , nah wouldn't pull those out. Easy fix, just sell the boat to Carter , take his cc on a trade.
Carter is one my neighbors and has been on the boat before. I don't think Mike would ever get a 47 if he got back into performance boats. He spends to much money on his car hobby now.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I just looked at the pics , nah wouldn't pull those out. Easy fix, just sell the boat to Carter , take his cc on a trade.
He would only have to move it down the canal! However if I was looking for a 47 fountain Driven's is one I'd like to own. If and when I sell my 38TE I am downsizing.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
As for deposits and such, I think it would depend on the buyer, obviously if some one drives a 100 miles or more to look at your boat, their serious. If some one asked me for a $1000 to just see if the motors run, I would laugh and walk. Also a test drive does not need to be long I would say 30 min max, by then they know if they are going to buy or not.

Case in point I looked at a 31 Scarab in 1999 drove from VA to SC to look at it (set an appointment time w/ dealer) had a certified check to buy and the dealer didn't even offer to start it up for me (note he advertised the motors as rebuilt). I just walked, their were too many other boats out there for me to give business to an azz.

Fine line to walk,

WILL
I have no problem dropping the boat in the water and starting all three motors for a buyer without a deposit.(boat is behind house). I just would not want to take a long sea trial and waste my time or money. I agree that how far they drive and if they know what the costs to insure and own a boat like this will help me decide if they are wasting my time.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by FeverMike
He would only have to move it down the canal! However if I was looking for a 47 fountain Driven's is one I'd like to own. If and when I sell my 38TE I am downsizing.
Any calls on the your boat? I have a guy that lives in St. Pete that owns a 34 open with trip 275s that wants to come see my boat next week. I need to sell the boat since I have the two houses and I have a contract to buy a new business that should close middle of February.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:34 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
Get this

or this

Old 01-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelHene
Have you been contacted by the low life looking for you to "donate" the boat for some insanely low amount and they will provide a donation reciept for some outrageously inflated figure

FYI-
The IRS closed that hole in '06. You get actual sale price as your value.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
Any calls on the your boat? I have a guy that lives in St. Pete that owns a 34 open with trip 275s that wants to come see my boat next week. I need to sell the boat since I have the two houses and I have a contract to buy a new business that should close middle of February.
No I have actually stopped advertising. I will put it back up just to see after the Miami show. That's when things really pick up. Your new house is looking awesome too, Lisa and drove the neighborhood the other day. Have you heard about all the seawall problems? We've hired a lawyer and inspector and going after Newland...long story you should stop by my house and see what's going on. What's up with the new business?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by FeverMike
No I have actually stopped advertising. I will put it back up just to see after the Miami show. That's when things really pick up. Your new house is looking awesome too, Lisa and drove the neighborhood the other day. Have you heard about all the seawall problems? We've hired a lawyer and inspector and going after Newland...long story you should stop by my house and see what's going on. What's up with the new business?
They fixed the seawall behind my house last month. Yes the new house looks nice but it taking forever to build. I will have to talk about the new business in private since it has not closed yet. But when it does I will probably be buying something that I will join you at the track with. Thinking 911 turbo or the 2008 Viper with 600 hp or maybe a Noble

Quick Reply: How to keep the joy riders out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.