Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How to keep the joy riders out? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/149133-how-keep-joy-riders-out.html)

THEJOKER 01-13-2007 11:44 AM

Re: How to keep the joy riders out?

I've been on Carters cc and he told me about your boat , i know he wants it. I'm sure your boat is super clean , 10/10. Good luck! What's up w/ your house Carter?

DRIVEN1 01-13-2007 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 1992053)
When I go to sell my boat I could be so lucky to have a bunch of people ask for a test ride. Like Chris said, slow times for powerboat sales. In my experience these buyers drive quite a distance to see these boats, that generally means they're interested. If it's some kid on the gas dock I'll pass on that one, but if they're coming from a distance I'll take them out no problem, I like being out anyway so it's no big deal. I've done plenty of transactions without the pre-deal gobble-t-gook.

Kind of ironic and not sure if it is someone from here that just saw the boat because of the post. But I just had a guy call from New Jersey that wants to fly down next week to look at the boat and he is a cash buyer.:eek:

handfulz28 01-13-2007 03:34 PM

Just throwing my $.02 as a recent buyer. At that level of boat, a real buyer should have no problem with a deposit, gas money, whatever, to show he's serious as a buyer.
I flew to New Hampshire and Long Island, planned a trip to Maryland and Georgia, before finding mine 35 miles away. I "proved" myself as a serious potential buyer and nobody asked for gas money, even though I offered and/or would've at least contributed.
Also, it's one thing to be a "cash buyer" at less than $50-100k, but at the number you're looking for, I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to ask questions; if he's serious and legit, he shouldn't have a problem answering.
One more thought: the sea-trial doesn't mean the prospective buyer has to get behind the wheel; you have lots of legit reasons to skip that until deposit/contract/survey. The boat I bought was through a broker, but the seller took me out, and I never drove. Don't hesitate to ask questions about a buyer's operating experience.
Beautiful boat, good luck.

FeverMike 01-13-2007 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER (Post 1992151)
I've been on Carters cc and he told me about your boat , i know he wants it. I'm sure your boat is super clean , 10/10. Good luck! What's up w/ your house Carter?

Our neighborhood (2-3year old seawalls) is having problems. seems like the were not built and anchored properly nor was the land/dirty filled in behind them properly.

DRIVEN1 01-13-2007 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by handfulz28 (Post 1992399)
Just throwing my $.02 as a recent buyer. At that level of boat, a real buyer should have no problem with a deposit, gas money, whatever, to show he's serious as a buyer.
I flew to New Hampshire and Long Island, planned a trip to Maryland and Georgia, before finding mine 35 miles away. I "proved" myself as a serious potential buyer and nobody asked for gas money, even though I offered and/or would've at least contributed.
Also, it's one thing to be a "cash buyer" at less than $50-100k, but at the number you're looking for, I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to ask questions; if he's serious and legit, he shouldn't have a problem answering.
One more thought: the sea-trial doesn't mean the prospective buyer has to get behind the wheel; you have lots of legit reasons to skip that until deposit/contract/survey. The boat I bought was through a broker, but the seller took me out, and I never drove. Don't hesitate to ask questions about a buyer's operating experience.
Beautiful boat, good luck.

I always try to find out what kind of boats they have owned. I also see if they have already checked into insurance so they do not get a shock when they call for a quote on a boat like this. Thanks for the input. Mike

SHARKEY-IMAGES 01-13-2007 08:31 PM

Take a deposit and then tell them they will need to wear a life jacket..... :evilb: :evilb: :evilb:

ckentling 01-13-2007 11:55 PM

When I was looking for my 29 I had no problem putting 50-100 bucks in the tank (around here that was enough for a 1/2 hour check ride) with the agreement that if I bought it would come off the price, and if I walked then it was no harm no foul. I would also not ask to drive til we were out on the water an daway from any traffic, and some times on plane and take the wheel.

It really depended on the seller and the buyer and their apprehensiveness

Good luck, beautiful boat

Anyone serious would have no problem dropping a c-note to take a test ride

Reed Jensen 01-14-2007 02:34 AM

You will get all sorts of fun calls like.... "Meet me at the dock or boat ramp... we spend the afternoon out flogging your boat... and if it does what you say it does..... I might consider buying it. "..... My reply was ..... Come look at the boat with a current credit report in your hand, if you want a ride, post 500.00 for expenses, we go out for an hour and if you buy the boat, I'll credit you back 500.00.. the first guy that did that bought the boat. All the rest were just joy riders.

MikeyFIN 01-14-2007 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1 (Post 1992002)
I got my boat for sale and what do you think is the best way to keep me from taking joyriders out? I was thinking if they are serious enough to take a test ride then they can fill up the boat with gas on the way out? Any other ideas? This is the boat. http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-12195.html

Thanks Mike

Test Rides happen only when money is Shown, ok maybe not the best way to sell a boat but an honest one both ways.

DRIVEN1 01-14-2007 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen (Post 1992837)
You will get all sorts of fun calls like.... "Meet me at the dock or boat ramp... we spend the afternoon out flogging your boat... and if it does what you say it does..... I might consider buying it. "..... My reply was ..... Come look at the boat with a current credit report in your hand, if you want a ride, post 500.00 for expenses, we go out for an hour and if you buy the boat, I'll credit you back 500.00.. the first guy that did that bought the boat. All the rest were just joy riders.

Good idea, since that would turn away anyone that is not serious enough or could not get the boat financed.