Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Verado 300 and 325HP to debut in Miami (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/150005-verado-300-325hp-debut-miami.html)

RBT 02-22-2007 11:34 AM

FeverMike, if you removed and replaced your Verado's with 300XS mercs ( or even the 250 ), you would pick up speed.... but more importantly... FAR better fuel economy...... and LOWER emissions. Even with the oil being burnt.... the emissions are LOWER. This is my real beef with them, other than the "system" as you call it, the 2-strokes are better in EVERY arena. This is exactly why I say that there is nothing but smoke and mirros surrounding these motors.

RT

FeverMike 02-22-2007 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rocco (Post 2035053)
Fever,

Your a real "Piece of Work" man !!!

Maybe you should put some 2 strokes on that boat. At least it will sound like a boat not a fleet of UPS trucks following you.

:D Actually they sound like a fleet of shop vacums back there at WOT. Other than that all 3 running are dead quiet.

RBT, you have any test reports showing the 250xs or 300xs have fewer emissions than the 275 Verado? I have not looked hard myself but would like to know. I had a choice between 275 Verado and 225 opti or 250xs Opti's when I bought my boat in the summer or 2005. All the magazine test reports I saw where either of the 275 or 225 opti's on my boat and the 275 fuel economy at cruise was the same as my 275 Verado's. Also the top speed of the 250xs compared to the (yes I know they are heavier) 275 Verado's was right around the same. As of right now the Verado's are bringing better resale value and that is very important to me because I can't seem to keep a boat longer than 3-4 years.

blingbling 02-22-2007 09:16 PM

Fever Mike, your Fountain with trip Verados, CC standards it don't get much better then that. I'll tell ya this. My Concept has Verados and my buddies boat has 300xs. When were loaded with people, gas etc... and out for a day of partying I yard his ass out of the hole, excelaration and our top end is the same. When each boat has a light load, he has a few MPHs on me. Now I'm not positive about this but common sense tells me that there's no way a 2 stroke 300x pumps out less emmesions then a 4 stroke Verado. Maybe I'm wrong, but I aint buying it.

RBT 02-23-2007 10:00 AM

If you guys want some good information on Outboards, can I suggest you subscribe to Bass and Walleye Magazine. Even if you don't fish ( I don't ), it is the only magazine that does unbiased tests, and calls it like it is.
Currently the LOWEST emission outboard it the E-Tec, followed by the Opti.
In the magazine they break down the exhaust emissions into segments, I cannot recall them so I am not gonna say anymore. Do some research, it is shocking.... trust me I was suprised too.
I am a purest when it comes to outboards, I like my 2.5's. I have a ton of them, and a million parts and will be in Fl next week dynoing my latest creation. I understand them...... and can make BIG power with them (almost 400hp). I am a big fan of the old 300X, and I am ok with the Opti motors, after that I don't understand the point, then it is to I/O's...... of which I have little clue about. I can install them but don't ask me to make any power.
I have driven every outboard motor on the market and if I were to buy new right now I would buy the E-Tec, which is odd as I bleed black.
Like you said, the Verado package it really nice, between the steering and the shift/throttle fly by wire it is damn slick, one would think that the others are going to have to catch up....... and clearly merc has the technology, they just need to apply it.
I know two of the authors of the bass and walleye tests..... they are the most interesting to learn from. There is no marketing BS from them just the honest truth. They all have the there own pluses the Verado just has an perception in the market that it is fuel and emissions friendly, this apparently is not the case........ though in sales perception is I suppose everything.

BTW, my motors are cleaner than them all...... castor oil and alky....... LOL ( but don't ask about the economy )

J-Bonz 02-23-2007 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by RBT (Post 2036149)
If you guys want some good information on Outboards, can I suggest you subscribe to Bass and Walleye Magazine. Even if you don't fish ( I don't ), it is the only magazine that does unbiased tests, and calls it like it is.
Currently the LOWEST emission outboard it the E-Tec, followed by the Opti.
In the magazine they break down the exhaust emissions into segments, I cannot recall them so I am not gonna say anymore. Do some research, it is shocking.... trust me I was suprised too.
I am a purest when it comes to outboards, I like my 2.5's. I have a ton of them, and a million parts and will be in Fl next week dynoing my latest creation. I understand them...... and can make BIG power with them (almost 400hp). I am a big fan of the old 300X, and I am ok with the Opti motors, after that I don't understand the point, then it is to I/O's...... of which I have little clue about. I can install them but don't ask me to make any power.
I have driven every outboard motor on the market and if I were to buy new right now I would buy the E-Tec, which is odd as I bleed black.
Like you said, the Verado package it really nice, between the steering and the shift/throttle fly by wire it is damn slick, one would think that the others are going to have to catch up....... and clearly merc has the technology, they just need to apply it.
I know two of the authors of the bass and walleye tests..... they are the most interesting to learn from. There is no marketing BS from them just the honest truth. They all have the there own pluses the Verado just has an perception in the market that it is fuel and emissions friendly, this apparently is not the case........ though in sales perception is I suppose everything.

BTW, my motors are cleaner than them all...... castor oil and alky....... LOL ( but don't ask about the economy )

I agree that Bass and Walleye Magazine is the best out there for outboard enthusiasts, They really do tell the truth!!

animalhouse 02-23-2007 04:47 PM

I have had almost every type and manufacturer of outboards on our different boats in the past few years, and I will say that we are the happiest by far with the 275 Verados.

We are running quad 275's and can steer with 1 finger, hod a conversation, and run 53 mph at 1.4 mpg.

Our 36 Yellowfin had 225 opti's (3) and the motors were great at cruise, but when you opened it up the oil burned faster than the gas.

Our 32 Regulator had 250 Yami's granted it was old technology, but we were only getting .5 mpg at cruise.

With the 38 CC loaded up with 425 gallons of fuel, 4 men and all of our gear the Verado's don't seem to notice the differnce in weight, they are the real deal. And acceleration is like nothing I have wittnessed on any of our othe boats.

The resale value is also hard to dissagree with. We got hammered on the yellowfin because 4 potential buyers were only interested in Verado's and the cost to retrofit was astronomical, not to mention almost impossible.

animalhouse 02-23-2007 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike you are correct about the fuel economy, impressive belo 4700, but it does change dramaticly when you run hammer down, but that is a common problem for all types of outboards.

I would like to see the motors run on 87 octane, my only complaint is the required 93. You can run 87 or 89, but the damn computer limits you to 250 HP. what's the sence...

DRIVEN1 02-23-2007 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 2036590)
Mike you are correct about the fuel economy, impressive belo 4700, but it does change dramaticly when you run hammer down, but that is a common problem for all types of outboards.

I would like to see the motors run on 87 octane, my only complaint is the required 93. You can run 87 or 89, but the damn computer limits you to 250 HP. what's the sence...

What speeds are you doing with the quads? I saw the quad 300XS boat at Miami and I think they said 86mph with that boat. Do you have any water pickup problems on the outside motors? Thanks Mike

FeverMike 02-24-2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by RBT (Post 2035100)
FeverMike, if you removed and replaced your Verado's with 300XS mercs ( or even the 250 ), you would pick up speed.... but more importantly... FAR better fuel economy...... and LOWER emissions. Even with the oil being burnt.... the emissions are LOWER. This is my real beef with them, other than the "system" as you call it, the 2-strokes are better in EVERY arena. This is exactly why I say that there is nothing but smoke and mirros surrounding these motors.

RT

I know I am just being a smart azz...he he:evilb: However I do not like carying around a bunch of oil on the boat so for me the Verado's work just perfectly.

FeverMike 02-24-2007 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 2036590)

I have run my 275 Verao's on 89 octane. The owners manual says that is perfectly fine to do and they will put out 260hp on 89. Personally when running 89 octane I could tell no difference getting on plane and cruising while running 89 octane. For the best info on Verado's check out www.veradoclub.com or www.thehulltruth.com