Lake Cumberland Dam Problems

Notices

Lake Cumberland Dam Problems

Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lake Cumberland Dam Problems

Originally Posted by gofastwannabe
the local news tonight said the state was looking for money to extend SOME ramps but the corps did not know which ramps will get extended. someone I talked to said between eight and twelve ramps but don't quote me on that.
Cincy paper today said there is money for ten ramps to be extended and work will be starting soon. You can be sure it will happed that lake brings in too much money for it not to happen.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just thank of the money they could have if they sold beer. Damn would be fixed and money to spare.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

dam dam!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Registered

When we lived in Cincy, we used to go to Cumberland several weekends throughout the summer, including the PR. If you take all of the trailer boaters from 48 ramps and put them at 8 ramps, finding parking for the tow rig is going to be tough At Jamestown or State Dock, parking lots were usually full on any given weekend. Multiply that by 6 (48 ramps to 8 ramps) and where do you park? We were always lucky going back to State Dock that we never ran into an "oncoming" tow rig on that narrow road. You would have to draw straws to see who is going to go roll their rig over the bank, or back up for about 2-3 miles! I would think the lines at those 8 -12 launch ramps will be quite long, and if there are no parking places left, what do you do?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

Most of the ramps that we have used in the past had way more parking at the end of the summer than begining. But I guess only time will tell for sure!
If you all would see the majority of the 48 ramps that they are talking about not being useable you would understand. They are mostly small community ramps that only have parking for a few trailers anyway.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gofastwannabe
the lake averages a little over 100 feet deep and has a max depth of about 300. there will still be plenty of water......................if you can get to it. it will still cover over 13000 acres.

I'm on Lake Cumberland 52 weekends a year. Yes, the low water will affect things some but Cumberland will still be a HUGE Lake. The deepest part of the Lake is 200' near Wolf Creek Dam measured at normal summer pool of 720 feet above sea level. They are taking the lake to 680 feet above sea level and plan to leave it at that level through the end of 2007, possibly into 2008 until the initial grouting work is done on the dam. The overall repair is estimated to take 7 years but they are trying to get additional funding to shorten that timeframe to 5 years.

At Lake level 680 Cumberland will still cover over 35,000 surface acres and have over 1000 miles of shoreline. I don't believe that any marinas will be "out of business" and in fact, all of the commercial marinas are making adjustments to the lower water levels. One thing to keep in mind, Lake Cumberland NORMALLY fluctuates between the 730 foot level in the spring and the 680 foot level in the winter. As a matter of fact, this past weekend (January, 27-28, 2007) the water was at 690 feet which is higher than it was a year ago at this time.

As far as the Poker Run is concerned, I would NOT anticipate any major changes or effects. The one thing everyone will notice is that at Lake level 680, no one will be gathering at 76 Falls (unless you're on foot.) I would anticipate that the typical Falls activity and gathering will simply move further out into Indian Creek about a mile downstream of where the Falls are located. As of last weekend there was still 35-45 feet of water in this area which is marked with the "NO SKI" bouys as you turn the corner toward the falls. Poker run routes and card stops may be altered from last year but then they're changes every year anyway.

One area to watch for low water will be the area along the shoreline as you pass Camp Earl Wallace. Favor the Northern/Western shoreline which is the route of the original river.

Try this link to a topo map showing the Lake area contours as measured above sea level, and think lake level 680. You can zoom in and move about the Lake on the map. MAjor marinas are not marked but if you know the Lake it may help you. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...G&size=l&s=250

Last edited by DrNautica; 01-30-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dd24skater
dam dam!
shouldn't that be damn dam?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Registered

I forgot to mention launch ramps. There are 8 ramps (of 48) listed as usable at Lake level 680.

Launch ramps affected at 680 feet lake level

The Corps officially has designated the following ramps as usable at 680 feet:

Waitsboro
Cumberland Point
Conley Bottom Marina
Lee's Ford Marina
Beaver Creek Marina
Jamestown Marina
Burnside Island State Park
Halcomb's Landing - ramp adjacent to the Dam.

Launching Ramps Impacts:
Elevation - Usable - Unusable

720' - 48 - 0
705' - 38 - 10
700' - 30 - 18
685' - 20 - 28
680' - 8 - 40

I have also been informed that Grider Hill's ramp will be usable but it wasn't listed on the official Corp of Engineer's list. Regardless, the Corp has announced plans to extend at least 10 ramps before summer 2007.

I don't think launching will be an issue.

Check http://www.LakeCumberland.com for as much discussion about Lake Cumberland water levels as you can stand.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Thank you DrNautica.

Is the ramp in the park at State Dock the Burnside Island State Park ramp?

What was the lake level at LC at LAST year's Poker Run, just so I have a reference (only been there the one time).
Old 01-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Thank you DrNautica.

Is the ramp in the park at State Dock the Burnside Island State Park ramp?

What was the lake level at LC at LAST year's Poker Run, just so I have a reference (only been there the one time).

Burnside Island is in Burnside on the eastern end of the lake. The State Dock/Park Ramp is called the State Park Ramp.

The Lake level during last year's (2006) Poker Run was between 705-710 feet. Check the chart below. The lake level is indicated by the red line. Click on the chart for a larger view.
Attached Thumbnails Lake Cumberland Dam Problems-wol_2006.gif  

Quick Reply: Lake Cumberland Dam Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.