Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake Cumberland Dam Problems (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/150044-lake-cumberland-dam-problems.html)

Sydwayz 01-30-2007 10:55 AM

Re: Lake Cumberland Dam Problems

Thanks DrNautica.

When we went last year, we used State Park Ramp, and stayed at State Dock.

If we make it this year, we'd like something close by, and I think the Jamestown Ramp would fit the bill, but its going to be gawd awfully crowded. State Dock is going to be an even longer walk up and down that hill, and the logistics of getting to/from your truck/boat/trailer (probably in three different & scattered places) is going to be nuts.

I am optimistic about the 2007 PR, but I like logistics to be easy. I want a ramp that's close to where I will be staying on the lake, with plenty of easy parking to keep the truck and trailer hitched together, right next to the ramp, with a dock that I can tie up to, and go get my truck, and not rely on others. My girlfriend can drive the truck and trailer very well, but the size of those ramps are going to intimidate her; and she won't want to navigate those tight and overcrowded lots. If we go this year, I'll be investing in at least a Go-Ped or something to get around.

DrNautica 01-30-2007 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The GoPed may be a good investment. These hills are killer when the water's up but we're all used to it.

I'd love to hook up for a brew if you make it for 2007. I'll try to have a couple of bikini clad babes with me.

Dean Ferry 01-30-2007 12:51 PM

I think we will just pass on the Nordic regatta this year @ LC. I'm just not comfortable going to a new boating area, and having the water level be down. Everybody have fun, and be careful.
Dean

US1 Fountain 01-30-2007 03:42 PM

State Park ramp latest. Doesn't look very good. Condition or level. I've launched from there when the level is right at the change of surface to where the right side is unusable. Think I'll sit out this yr.
Picture is decieving. That a LONG way down the ramp. 5 or 6 lanes.

Sydwayz 01-30-2007 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 2010249)
State Park ramp latest. Doesn't look very good. Condition or level. I've launched from there when the level is right at the change of surface to where the right side is unusable. Think I'll sit out this yr.
Picture is deceiving. That a LONG way down the ramp. 5 or 6 lanes.

That looks TERRIBLE!

Granted the State Dock Ramp is not supposed to be one of the ones that is usable, but what do the usable ones look like? What are they usable for to launch?? I don't want to be a guinea pig.

IDRPSTF 01-30-2007 04:16 PM

You are all very welcome to come to Lake Havasu City. But be warned:
Our weather is better
Our parties are bigger
and our women have teeth! (Big warning on that one!)
I guess this can go down as one more plus for Havasu over LOTO. When you drive three hundred miles to play on the river, the last fifteen feet wont stop you.

All funand digs aside, sorry to hear that guys, I feel for the local businesses.

Mentalpause 01-30-2007 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF (Post 2010291)
I guess this can go down as one more plus for Havasu over LOTO.

I think you are confused! Why the reference to LOTO?:rolleyes:

Maybe this is one to chalk up to the midwest - at least we know what lake we are on.:evilb:

DrNautica 01-31-2007 09:45 AM

Guys, I know there has been some concern over the launch ramp issues at Cumberland so I thought I'd post a news story regarding the Corp of Engineer's plan to extend and repair the existing ramps.

"Lake Cumberland Ramps To Be Extended"

WLEX-TV
Frankfort (AP) -- The Army Corps of Engineers expects funding soon to allow extension of the number of boat ramps at Lake Cumberland to help deal with the effect of lowering the water level this summer. The reason for doing that is to ease pressure on Wolf Creek Dam because the earthen section of the aging mile-long structure is leaking, placing it at high risk of failing.

Nashville District Commander Steve Roemhildt says the office doesn't have the money for the ramp work now but adds that he has "great expectations" the corps will get such funding in advance of the summer recreation season.

Corps officials are studying ten ramps to see which ones can be extended. Three are operated by the corps and seven are at commercial marinas. The state also will look at extending launch ramps around the giant lake.

Lake access became a critical issue this week because the corps announced a decision to keep the level of the lake at 680 feet above sea level this summer, far below the normal summer pool of 723.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

END ARTICAL

I think there will be plenty of accesible ramps come September so don't let that stop you guys.

US1 Fountain 01-31-2007 03:29 PM

Maybe they should also pave some of the 'beach' since the working ramps will be short on parking with the numbe rof boaters limited to e few ramps.

Need a valet lauching/retrieval business.