Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !! >

The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !!

Notices

The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !!

Originally Posted by thisistank
It seriously sucks to get caught in BIG water. I don't care what boat you have (some handle it better than others)...It just takes the fun out of boating and turns it into work!
Yeah, but it always makes for good stories.
Some of my best boating stories happened by being caught in big water.
Buy me a beer sometime - I'll tell ya all about them
Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
they had circumnavigated around the southern half of Florida.
Left Ft Myers going east thru the Okeechobee Waterway to Stuart, down the east coast to Miami, the run down to the Keys then back up the west coast today.
I would love to make that trip one day!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I have done it once each way. Okeechobee is not one of my favorites. Locking thru is a pain. Some of it is just a big ditch where you only see the banks. Okeechobee is muddy and shallow.
Interesting to do once, but there are much better places to go. Just my opinion.
Bob
Old 01-28-2007, 05:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

I spoke to Trelfa to let him know about the thread. We will probably hear from them later this evening. They had a lot of cleaning including Jeffs boat to take care of. Salt water - I hate it and what it does to our equipment.
Bob
Old 01-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
Brian, I REALLY want to take my boat down to Key West direct from Tampa. It's about a 5 hour ride in my boat. Spend a day or so in Key West then up to around Miami/Lauderdale for a few days then back down to Islamorada for a day and then back to Tampa from Islamorada. Spring or Fall would be ideal.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're Here!!! Karen and I are finally warming up in the hot tub or should we say getting the kinks out LOL...We had a great ride across the bay, since we left at 7:30 AM (we knew it was getting bad) until we were about 15 miles outside of Goodland..Hit the back waters to Naples and dropped the crew off for lunch...Jeff and I took the boat back to FMB and YES IT WAS "BIG" WATER...Jeff's boat performed well, but that may have had something to do with the captain LOL...Wet was not the word for what condition we were in upon return we even had to salt away our pfd's we even did the dash...It was a great trip over the past 5 days with great company...It's great to be back on the West Coast and not have had to return via Miami and a multitude of no wake zones...Stu put's on the best events hands down..wouldn't have missed it no matter what the conditions...Cancellation is not a part of our agenda.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Jay,

Once when I was much younger and not so much free time, I flew in on a Friday, jumped in my Top Gun and got as far as Clewiston on L. Okeechobee by dark, Saturday thru to Stuart and down to Lauderdale, Sunday down to the Keys and back up the west coast in time to catch a 7PM flight back to Toronto.
In conversation with the guy sitting next to me on the plane he said to me , "and what do you do to relax ??" - but that's another story ! LOL
Bob
I've been wondering how you spent your time before you got your current 'job'...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Registered

That Can Be A Trying Ride .. Glad Everyone Is Safe.. In 2004 We Left Clearwater To Go To Kw For The Worlds..had Been Pulling Some Real Long Days Getting A 40' Skater Diesel Project Done,left At Around 7am With The Skater And My 36 Diesel Spectre..beautiful Ride Get Down Near Ft Myers.. Decide To Go Straight Across.not Realizing We Had The Wrong Way Point In The Gps.. We Accidently Set A South Wp Instead Of A North Wp..should Have Wondered Why It Kept Saying Like 3000 Miles To Destination.but Just Figured It Was Wrong..finally Reliazed Something Was Wrong When The Water Got Real Pretty Purple,and The Seas Got To Be A Good 6' Shortly After That Was When We Came Across A Huge ..and I Mean Huge Freighter..and We Thought That Shouldnt Be In Fl. Bay.about The Time We Seen The Lighthouse Off Of Cuba.. Is When The Coupler Went Out In The Port Motor Of The Spectre..mike Anderson And Mike Fosse Were In That Boat.. We Decided That If We Wanted To Get To Kw Before The Next Day , We Were Going To Have To Tow The Spectre Whic Only Had 1 Running Motor..so We Towed It At 55 Mph For About 60 Miles Through 6 Footers..anderson Was Having To Throttle The Boat..we Got Within Site Of Kw At About 8 Pm When The Skater Finally Ran Out Of Fuel.. It Was Agreat Trip Though One I Will Hopefully Never Forget..and A Great Story .. And Glad To Have Been Able To Share With My Friends....
Old 01-29-2007, 08:03 AM
DJD
Registered

A pilot friend of mine once told me "insturments are your friends. Listen to your friends & trust them".
Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Brian, I REALLY want to take my boat down to Key West direct from Tampa. It's about a 5 hour ride in my boat. Spend a day or so in Key West then up to around Miami/Lauderdale for a few days then back down to Islamorada for a day and then back to Tampa from Islamorada. Spring or Fall would be ideal.

Plan a trip and I'm in. I've done Key West to Lauderdale and it was a blast. We're going to do a fishing trip this Spring from Jupiter Inlet to West End. Some friends of mine are bugging me to go! Spring is near!

Quick Reply: The Gulf is Naaaaaasty today !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.