Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   CHALLENGER AEROTECH/ LEVEL 10 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/15021-challenger-aerotech-level-10-a.html)

BGIII 01-06-2002 02:26 PM

I'm running a 21 pitch Mirage. I verified my tach w/ a snap on timinglight/tach combo tool and I run 4900-5100 depending on fuel and passengers.

Waterfoul 01-06-2002 02:44 PM

I'm running a 22" 4 blade Power Tech. With my raised x-dimension, I have not found a 3 blade prop I can run. Uncluding the Mirage and Mirage plus. Blow them out in turns. I either need to have my prop labbed and tweaked, or get a Bravo One 4 blade.

Crazyhorse 01-06-2002 06:06 PM

BGIII, Waterfoul and Dyno will attest to the Federal Mogul cam's midrange power and decent idle, as well as decent fuel economy. In my opinion it's an all-around good flat-tappet hydraulic setup, and would work very well in your engine. You should install roller rocker arms. I think Barb and I bought a 1999 Grand Am GT, 29000 miles, for 10K from Team Automotive. I hate to spend the money but I really need to put her in a decent car. The Toro is getting really tired. Waterfoul, you up for brats and burgers on Wednesday or Thursday night? Maybe a couple Bud Lights to wash them down?

BGIII 01-06-2002 06:18 PM

Crazyhorse, what if I want to stick w/ stock exhaust, intake and carb. How big of a cam do you think I can use and not have problems with reversion. This boat thing was a blast last summer and I think I want a bigger boat sooner than later. I think I have decided to put mine back together as reasonably as possible so I can save the money for the next boat. I can save a couple grand by rebuilding motor that can use stock exhaust and carb.

Crazyhorse 01-06-2002 06:23 PM

There's another cam that I've used in the past. It's a little smaller than the F-M cam. I'll have to see if it's still available. Does your Mag have the Merc/GM aluminum intake and rectangular port heads? You can stick with the stock exhaust for now. I'd recommend replacing the riser gaskets as these have been known to cause unbelievable grief, usually 2 days before a holiday weekend. It's cheap insurance.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Crazyhorse ]

BGIII 01-06-2002 06:29 PM

The motor is getting pulled this week. Yes I have the GM/Merc aluminum intake w/ rectangular port heads. Thinking about having Jim Valeko wedge them, do a valve grind and maybe a little bit of cleanup. From what I've read, these heads are a bit much for a 454.

Crazyhorse 01-06-2002 06:37 PM

I really like the stock rect. port heads. It boils down to a money issue for me, as I never have a lot. Jim V does great work and I'm sure you'd be more than happy with the outcome, but if it was my money I'd stay with the heads in stock configuration, add a little c/r with a set of pistons, and next winter have Jim do a set of Merlins for me. But that's just my opinion, and we all know that my opinion and a buck-fifty will buy you a cup of coffee. :D BGIII, you busy Tuesday afternoon?

BGIII 01-06-2002 06:43 PM

Yea, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from October through May I work rebuilding wrecks. Helped me afford my first boat, hoping it will help me afford my next one too. What's up?

Crazyhorse 01-06-2002 06:45 PM

Working on SuperV's motors. I think Waterfoul's going to show. You ever buy anything from Jim at Team Auto?

BGIII 01-06-2002 06:52 PM

I used to own a couple Cavaliers years ago, one of their specialties. My were such pieces of s..., I used to go down their to buy parts for my own vehicle. He's got parts for those cars like you would not believe. Never bought a car from him, but the only vehicles I personally own have been rebuilt wrecks. The way I see it, who cares what color the title is as long as the work was done correctly and you still have some Franklins in your pocket. Does he offer a warranty? I believe all of their vehicles have salvage titles which means no factory warranty. I have to go eat dinner, I'll be back in about 45 minutes if you still around.
I'd like to meet you guys and do some benchracing.