Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   CHALLENGER AEROTECH/ LEVEL 10 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/15021-challenger-aerotech-level-10-a.html)

BGIII 01-05-2002 09:53 PM

CHALLENGER AEROTECH/ LEVEL 10

ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE BOATS? ESPECIALLY THE 28 FOOTER. ARE THEY A HARDCORE OFFSHORE BOAT OR ARE THEY A TYPICAL SPORT/PERFORMANCE BOAT? HOW DO THEY RIDE AND HANDLE? I SEE THEM FOR SALE ONCE IN A WHILE, THEY LOOK PRETTY NICE BUT I DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT THEM OTHER THAN THEY WERE BUILT IN WEST MICHIGAN FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

Waterfoul 01-05-2002 10:01 PM

SuperV has one on this board has one. Also, my friend Dave Dickman and his friend race one in P class in the Silver Cup Series. They win almost every race. They are an awsome handling 28 footer. One of the best rides I've ever been in under 30 feet (Saber 28 being another). They are fast boats, have a decent cabin, and are rigged pretty well. Only thing, they had a stringer problem. Needed to add two stringers. SuperV, Dyno, and Crazyhorse know more about this than I do.

I know the guy who ownes the molds (Level 10). He has only built a couple, but will build you one if you want. Stock 350 hp Mercs BBC will give you mid to upper 70's all day long.

ScreaminDemon 01-05-2002 10:58 PM

Curious..."ARE THEY A HARDCORE OFFSHORE BOAT OR ARE THEY A TYPICAL SPORT/PERFORMANCE BOAT?"
I would like to know your idea of what is the difference between a "HARDCORE" offshore boat and a "TYPICAL" sport/performance boat? And name those who are what!

Jassman 01-05-2002 11:43 PM

THIS COULD BE FUN ;)

Red Stripe 01-05-2002 11:53 PM

Challenger Aerotech's boats were built in Cedar Springs until 90 then moved to Grand Rapids till 95. They were then bought and moved to MO. and changed the name to Challenger Offshore. The Super V 24 is still being made by them. The Super V 28 was dropped but I am not sure of the year or where the mold went. I have talked to the owner of Challenger Offshore and he says that they still carry parts for the 24 but not sure on the 28 (didn't ask)
You can check out there current line at http://www.challengeroffshore.com
They make a huge line of boats now that include performace, family and Yachts. Send them a email from the link on their site and they might be able to give you more info on the 28. Check out there used section too, it seems like they had a used Super V 28 for sale there too.

Red Stripe 01-05-2002 11:55 PM

Sorry, It was a 1991 Super V 30 for sale on there preowned page. As you can tell, they are a little steep on their prices :eek:

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Red Stripe ]

Crazyhorse 01-06-2002 09:49 AM

I think Super V's is a 1993 and has had the stringer update done. We're doing the engines right now and the boat ran 79 mph on the gps.

BGIII 01-06-2002 10:43 AM

ScreaminDemon, I've only owned my own boat for a year, it's a 1990 Baja 250ES. I run w/ a Saber 28 Offshore alot and in my opinion, his boat is a hardcore offshore boat and mine is not. Hardcore boats are built with better materials(vinylester resins and such), when they are shoeboxed they a through bolted not riveted, they are built for strength first, speed second, and profit third(meaning no shortcuts). Not that I don't like my boat, but when I get ready to move up to a newer, longer, twin engine boat, I would like to get a boat built like the Saber, My friend has owned his for about 5 years and likes to run hard in Lake Michigan and the boat shows like new, no loose parts, no stress cracks, no creaks and rattles. It is also very impressive to ride in how solid the feel is, even landing off ridiculously large waves.

BGIII 01-06-2002 10:58 AM

Crazyhorse, what motors was SuperV running prior to the rebuild? 79 is moving pretty good in a 28 footer. SuperV must be an animal! Did they make a change in production at some point w/ the stringers or do they all need to have it done?

Crazyhorse 01-06-2002 11:22 AM

I don't know about the stringer deal. Just that Super V's has had it done. Prior to the rebuild the engines were 454 standard bore, 8.75:1 forged pistons, Merlin heads, single-plane intakes with 850 Holleys, Merc 540 Bulldog cams, roller rockers, Thunderbolt ignition. Nothing extreme, just a nice engine package. We're not changing much, just compression ratio and a cam more suited to the displacement. He and Dyno will have about the same engine packages. Dyno's Sonic 31SS runs 75 gps. He's got a troublefree season on his engines. Absolutely turn-key.