Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what would you do? (boatme) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/150265-what-would-you-do-boatme.html)

fubard 01-29-2007 12:59 PM

Re: what would you do? (boatme)

and out of that he deducts for a survey that i didnt tell him to get?? he called the guy and told him what kind of survey to do i didnt talk to the surveyor at all. and parts not labor. and you did he did know i had power boats before we talked about my fountain and i was going to look at a 47 about 15 miles away because i was more fimilar wtih them. and had a guy wanted to pick me up and fly me to detroit to look at his 42 fountain "the dealer" so he knew.....

fubard 01-29-2007 01:03 PM

Lesson 101
ITS NOBODIES BUISNESS BUT WHO THE PROBLEM IS WITH!!!!! I didnt know he had posted this till resently. and i saw whateverbody was saying so i just wnated to get the whole truth out there....no what sounds good

pappo 01-29-2007 02:23 PM

I don't have a horse in this race either, but know Marc very well and consider him a good friend. (My opinion may be biased but I will do my best to be Switzerland on this one.)

I'll also say that I am no stranger to boat heartache as anyone who knows me will tell you!

For the avoidance of doubt:
You bought a boat with 400-600 hours.
You bought a boat with high performance engines.

I definitely feel for you that you had problems with the motors. I don't think you'll find anyone on this board that doesn't feel for you.

We all accept a certain amount of risk when we buy used equipment especially when they are high performance boats. We do the best we can to mitigate the risks associated with such a purchase. In the end, thats why you're purchasing a boat for 100k instead of a new one for 750k.

From my recollection, Marc took you out on a sea trial for quite a while, possibly several hours. Not sure if I've ever been on a sea trial that lasted more than 15 minutes. Was there some work that needed to be done on the boat that would have required a final sea trial?

Not sure what your point of the survey is. If you weren't satisfied with the survey then you should have got your own especially when you're laying out that much money.

I've got to say that you made a bad decision when you had the boat in the water on the trailer and heard a ticking noise and you didn't stop there and continued to use it. That's was your decision. But you know what, we all make those kinds of mistakes and we learn from them. I'm sure there's a lot of people on this board that watch their temp and water pressure guages after learning a pretty painful lesson.

I have to admit that I thought the fact that Marc kicked in for the parts was a pretty "stand up" gesture. He was in no way obligated to as the boat was sold as is. I think that was a more than fair concession.

I believe that you feel that you were "wronged" but think that you need to seperate yourself from the emotion and look at the facts. When things go wrong, it is not always someone else's fault.

High Performance boats cost a lot of money to maintain and operate. You've got to pay to play and you just had to pay a little earlier than you thought.

Kind Regards,

Mike

fubard 01-29-2007 02:37 PM

thaks mike in regards to your saying marc took us out for a test ride. we went up the lake ack around and back in, then we where in nowake zones the rest and that was the longest ever. we went to his house and showed me his ex place came back to the marina and that was it we idled longer than we acually rode in it. thats ok But we agreed to a final seatrail and show me how the boat works. The boat was shut off after i had marc listen to it on the trailer, Im a little smarter than that, marc had told me that maybe they knocked of a plug wire when changeing the oil or a broke tooth off the distributor. I said i dont know im not a mechanic and im bring right back up see you in 16hrs. no no no cant be nothing that big that we cant take care of down there. He knew there was to be a final seatrail and left 3hrs or so before i got there ????? why was that. The survey it was a structural. the boat didnt sink.... thanks for your imput.

fubard 01-29-2007 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by fubard (Post 2008896)
thaks mike in regards to your saying marc took us out for a test ride. we went up the lake ack around and back in, then we where in nowake zones the rest and that was the longest ever. we went to his house and showed me his ex place came back to the marina and that was it we idled longer than we acually rode in it. thats ok But we agreed to a final seatrail and show me how the boat works. The boat was shut off after i had marc listen to it on the trailer, Im a little smarter than that, marc had told me that maybe they knocked of a plug wire when changeing the oil or a broke tooth off the distributor. I said i dont know im not a mechanic and im bring right back up see you in 16hrs. no no no cant be nothing that big that we cant take care of down there. He knew there was to be a final seatrail and left 3hrs or so before i got there ????? why was that. The survey it was a structural. the boat didnt sink.... thanks for your imput.

thats why the first ride was soo long, youhave a lot of no wake zones and exspecially from the marina to marcs house a good 45min or so.. lolololol

wnelles 01-29-2007 02:49 PM

Fubard,
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had with your boat and thanks for posting your side of the story. I looked at the boat in the spring of 06 and thought it was a nice clean boat. The hours on it scared me so I made a low offer. “Lucky” for me he turned it down.

I was also under the impression that he owned the marina and that he owned Manning trailer a few years ago. It seems pretty funny he couldn’t wait a couple hours for you after you drove a 1,000 miles.

What was the final bill for the repairs if you don’t mind me asking?

Ms PatriYacht 01-29-2007 02:58 PM

sorry for your troubles, we also bought a used boat and found that a lot of claims about the engines were false. Unfortunately it took pulling the engines to really find out what was what, which of course does not happen in a survey. In our case the former owner was not a mechanic and we think he may have had the wool pulled over his eyes or was mislead by some of his mechanics.

What I am curious about is how this final sea trial was scheduled. Marc's pretty good with organizing things, poker runs are set up pretty far in advance, so how did it happen that you arrived after he had to leave.

prostock85 01-29-2007 02:58 PM

I would have gotten my own sea trial. (anything can be bought)

Plus if I drove hours to pick up a boat where the owner wasn't there for a sea-trail I would've at least dropped it in at the closest lake to hear the motor/feel the shifts. That way if there was a problem I could've left it right back where I got it and went home empty handed. Another thing is I wouldn't have paid for the boat unless in person after the trial. I'm still new here but those are my opinions.

wananewboat 01-29-2007 03:22 PM

Post some pics of the boat. Lets see what you are talking about.

fubard 01-29-2007 03:31 PM

ms patriYachts. I think marc is a good organizer, thats why he called me 10 times on my way up there and when he new i was in cincinnati and said i would be there by 4 30 or 5 i said he called me back a hr later and asked how you doing buddy. i said the same as an hr ago he then said well me and cheri are going to take off to the poker run we are getting married and i said WHAT im not far from you and leaveing?? he said the boat is on the trailer and ready to go. i said what about the final seatrail we agreed about he said, dont worry the boat ran fine the last time you where here and if you have a problem call me dont worry. I said its been 3 weeks or so since i have been on it and i dont feel comfortable takeing it without you showing me how to operate it and show me little things you need to do. OOh chris youll be fine i said ok marc i trust you... my fault... thats how it went down i have all me cell records showming how many times he called me on the way up there.