Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   what would you do? (boatme) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/150265-what-would-you-do-boatme.html)

US1 Fountain 01-29-2007 04:49 PM

Re: what would you do? (boatme)

Sounds like it's best to take this off line.

jayhawk261 01-29-2007 04:53 PM

US1, I would agree it does go to credibility, but beyond that I feel it was Fubard's responsibility to do his own homework. In the end, Fubard bought the boat. Credibilty was no longer an issue at that point. I don't know either party, so I can't say what is true and what isn't. I just know that if it were me, I would dig as deep as possible prior to buying a boat with that many hours. Also, as I said before, these engines can go with no warning. I'm not sure how much blame can be placed on the seller for that unless he knew beforehand. And, you're right, if he did know, why take Fubard for an extended sea trial whether it was mostly idleing or not. It seems that the problem was found while idling.

Fubard, you are exactly correct when you say it is bad business to leave prior to a scheduled appointment to finalize the sale. As I said, I would have cancelled the sale and turned around. You'd just be out gas money and time at that point. Besides, I would bet that if you told him you were turning around and cancelling the sale because he was bailing on you that he would have stayed. Again, take the K and fix the boat. You took the responsibility when you picked up the boat without adhering to the agreement. I know, he changed the parameters, but it was up to you to not accept that. Trusting the seller is not a good business paractice. In business today, you have to protect yourself first. I don't care if you're buying something from a priest. Agreements and contracts are used for a reason.

boatme 01-29-2007 04:57 PM

One last clarification and i am out of this (Maybe)

Fubar knew in advance that we were going to be out of town and still chose to pick it up

fubard 01-29-2007 04:59 PM

I agree its not for you guys to deside. i just wanted the people that responed to marcs blog to know both sides ITS OUR BUSINESS.

thanks

fubard 01-29-2007 05:03 PM

only after i was 2 hrs away.and you know that. be honest.... you knew for a week that i would be up there friday. and that was ok with you then you decieded to leave when you knew where i was. thats the truth ill show you the phone records of all your calls to me....

boatme 01-29-2007 05:08 PM

nope you knew days in advance
and phone records mean nothing we talked all the time

we talked to you while we were travling up north to make sure all was going ok

we talked almost every day for a month many times it means nothing

Chris I am done with this

Good Luck

fubard 01-29-2007 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by fubard (Post 2009072)
only after i was 2 hrs away.and you know that. be honest.... you knew for a week that i would be up there friday. and that was ok with you then you decieded to leave when you knew where i was. thats the truth ill show you the phone records of all your calls to me....

Matter of fact i can help you recall the conversation. Marc I can pick the boat up this weekend matter of fact i have to because its the only time i can or it will ba another 3 weeks or so. you then said i have a poker run to be at and im getting married sat. but if thats the only time you can the poker run is only 2hrs drive i said im sorry but thats the only time i can you said ok we will leave after you get here. thats why you caled so much to make sure i would be there by 5pm so that is the clarification on picking up the boat.

bouyhunter 01-29-2007 05:25 PM

The guy has a PR/wedding to get to. I'd cut him a little slack in the timing of this.
Probably agreed to be there for his appointment in good faith, and then on the day, bride to be is worried about being at the wedding on time, and everything else. My own marriage was a little more important to me as the hour got closer than selling a boat would have been in the moment.
I don't think he would have asked to make the deal/transfer this way if he felt there was going to be an issue with the boat.
Hey, stuff breaks on boats. Usually it's at a pretty un-opportune time.
I think he stepped up to the plate more than he was ever required by ponying up any money at all.
Fix the boat, enjoy it, and get over it.
I also have no horse in the race, just giving my opinion - I'm assuming by coming here and posting this, that you wanted, and knew you would receive opinions.

fubard 01-29-2007 05:25 PM

why dont you defend wht other people are saying how another person said youwoned the warf and another saying he thought you owned manning trailer. why arent you correcting there statements........phone records show that day how many times you called me, for what??? why would a person call sooo many times, you knew i would be there by 5pm and you agreed not to leave before i got there because you knew the final seatrail was to take place..... and you left...

phragle 01-29-2007 05:27 PM

did you know prior to leaving that he had time constraints?? f he called you several times to find out where you were and when you would get there..I am assuming you did know he had places to be and obligations to attend too. could you have not scheduled the pickup of this boat maybe the following weekend?? even though he could not be there when you arrived it sounds as though he did the best he could to have the boat loaded and ready for you. I fail to see how anyone would have taken you out in a boat knowing it was a ticking time bomb much less leaving it idle away. as for the second sea trial, that was your stipulation and YOUR decision to not do it.you wanted the boat he had, you got it on his terms.. you wanted a second sea trial, but failed to schedule it at a time convenient to him so you took the boat anyways. you wanted a survey, he offered to help you obtain one, you could have easily said No thanks..I will get one independently. No one forced you to buy it, no one forced you to take delivery when you did, no one denied you acces to the boat to have an independent structural and mechanical survey done. yet you decided to hell with it and took the boat home, discovered a problem and then proceeded to ignore the problem and take the boat out, thus turning a problem into a failure. let me repeat, you turned a problem into a failure. you picked up a boat without a second seatrial..I realize we all get excited about getting a new toy. no matter how "grown up" we happen to think we are. he felt bad for you that you had problems that were unknown to him, he offered money to you to defray the expense..you complained that he deducted money from what he sent you for the survey..the survey is your responsibility, he doesnt need a survey to sell a boat, you requested one to buy it.. he offered to sell you a boat for X amount of dollars that he believed to be fully functional , you inspected the boat, he even took you for a ride in the boat to prove it was fully functional, and provide a trained professional to inspect the integrity of the boat. you asked for a second boat ride, he agreed, you failed to show up at a time convenient for him to do so so you chose to forget about the second ride, you took the boat home when there was zero requirement for you to do so, you started it and discovered a problem, you chose to ignore the problem thus resulting in exstensive and expensive damage, you told him you blew it up and he OFFERED you money to help fix it even though he was under no legal obligation to do so and YOUR COMPLAINING?????? lets be an adult here..you did everything out of your own free will because you were excited about getting this new toy..its the real world, this isnt kindergarten when you get a used crayon, push on it to hard, break it, then go crying to the teacher cuz it broke...