Boat ID Question (Tempest?) >

Boat ID Question (Tempest?)

Notices

Boat ID Question (Tempest?)

Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat ID Question (Tempest?)

I believe I'm posting in the correct area - and if not, moderator, please relocate the post.

I was on USAuctions a year or two ago and came across what was labeled a "1995 27ft Tempest XPE".

The boat is a bullet shaped V with some interesting portholes on the deck on each side just in front of the cockpit.

It shows that it was a single, originally with a 7.4 liter, and from what I can tell had probably a pretty cool looking interior both in the cockpit and possibly the cuddy as well.

The boat was yellow - and had some "beehive" looking engine compartment ventilation holes. Twin bucket seats up front, a bench in back - and a sun deck over the engines. I do not see an arch, nor does it look like the boat would look good with one.

I didnt have the cash to bid on the boat at that time - and for some reason she has stuck in my mind ever since first seeing her. I've tried to ID the boat by going to NADA, boat trader, and various related message boards but have never seen another one.

I realize that this is a long shot - but does anyone have a clue what the boat is I'm talking about and maybe the correct manufacturer or model name as I'm not finding anything at all that looks remotely similar when searching for 27ft Tempests.

I have a printout of the original ad - and can scan it if worst comes to worse...
Old 01-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Registered

Default Re: Boat ID Question (Tempest?)

just in case anyone was curious... its the boat at the bottom of this PDF which is a magazine reprint from 1995.

hxxp://www-dot-tempestyachts-dot-net/packs/pack5.pdf
Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

doctor x

Can you post a picture of the boat? There was a boat made by Tempest or Tempest Yachts years ago in N Miami, on the famous 188th St., but if I remember correctly it was 32 or 33'. It was a really sharp boat. Don't recall them making a smaller boat, but I could be wrong. If we're talking about the same thing, they've been out of business for years.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what your question is...

Tempest still has a website. I haven't talked to anyone there in a few years but last time I did, they were still building-to-order. Why anyone would want one is an entirely different story- it's a very dated boat, both design and aesthetic-wise. There used to be more than a few Tempest 44's out there and I actually owned (briefly) the Kiekhaefer 38 they show in the brochure. Other than the 44's and a couple big boats, they didn't produce many boats. I've only seen a couple over the years.

Find them here-
http://www.tempestyachts.net
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Registered

as mentioned - i was interested in the 27 due to the somewhat unique design of the boat. i had found it on usauctions dot com and had never seen another like it.

I must admit - looking at nearly every other boat that builder made, i dont really like them and yes, they all look like something that should be in a "back to the future" movie.

the 27 had an option for a turbine based engine - which makes the boat even more interesting.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still not 100% sure what you're asking but I gather you want to have one built. There's a contacts page on the Tempest website- I'd bet the molds are still around and there's lots of folks out there that could lay one up for you. As far a turbines go, there are a few guys out there- turbine marine would be the first folks to talk to. Turbines are significantly more expensive than piston engines but they do last longer. They have quite a few idiosyncracies, not the least of which is that they're very loud. You'll definitely be limited to where you can operate it.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered

Chris... Originally I was simply trying to find more information about the 27XPE that I had seen some time ago... Then, after no response, and after finding the tempestyachts.net site myself, I came back and posted the link just in case anyone else might have been curious.

I dont want one built - I simply had been trying to track more info down for the past 3 years about the boat. If I ever find another one thats in "project boat" mode, I will certainly buy it.

Thanks!