Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Switchable Exhaust... Illegal in Minnesota? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/150488-switchable-exhaust-illegal-minnesota.html)

salesmanship 02-01-2007 12:04 PM

Re: Switchable Exhaust... Illegal in Minnesota?

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998 (Post 2012165)
Yes, it is dumb. I think switchable is better for everyone. When I'm coming in at night and near someone's house, I'd switch it on to be respectful. And when I'm out in the middle during the day I'd switch it off and let it rip!

It's the ability to "switch it off and let it rip" that put this law on the books.

Clay Washington 02-01-2007 12:24 PM

Ah yes... Minnesota. The land of a thousand lakes. And a$$hole water cops.

I am so happy that I live in Texas! :D

Griff 02-01-2007 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998 (Post 2012138)
This is a direct quote from the 2007 Minnesota Boating Guide, a summary of laws and rules

"It is unlawfull to have an altered muffler, muffler cutout, muffler bypass, or any other device designed or installed so that it can be used to continually or intermittently bypass any muffler or muffler system, or to reduce or eliminate the effectiveness of a muffler or muffler system"

A sheriff told me that if they find a boat that has exhaust that can be switched by the operator, they issue a fix-it ticket and you have 30 days to remove it and come back for a decible test. 84 dBA in MN. They let me go with just a fine because my exhaust switches automatically, but they said it's still 'technically' illegal.

Has anyone else faced this restriction in your state? What did you do?

What exhaust do you have that "switches automatically"????

NoQuarter 02-01-2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2012274)
Ah yes... Minnesota. The land of a thousand lakes. And a$$hole water cops.

I am so happy that I live in Texas! :D

I wouldn't go so far as to call them a$$holes, but yes, they are trying. I've gotten pulled over five times for noise on Lake Minnetonka. Each time it was $133 and major hassles. They make you go to the Sheriff station and test you along side a row of covered boat lifts so your boat will echo and it's really loud there.

On the Missippi river I've been sited on three times. You guessed it, $133. There, they hide in the back water area behind the entrance/exit of the lock and damb. When you leave the lock you might not realize it but they could be about 500 feet behind you when you bring it up on plain. Busted!

I did buy a set of muffler tips, but they didn't quite it down any.

It is kind-of fun knowing that big, bad a$$, bone stock, Scarab 22 has the whole state in an uproar, though:evilb:

In all seriousness, my next boat will have to have a legal and proven 84 dBA or less system.

NoQuarter 02-01-2007 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998 (Post 2012344)
I wouldn't go so far as to call them a$$holes, but yes, they are trying. I've gotten pulled over five times for noise on Lake Minnetonka. Each time it was $133 and major hassles. They make you go to the Sheriff station and test you along side a row of covered boat lifts so your boat will echo and it's really loud there.

On the Missippi river I've been sited on three times. You guessed it, $133. There, they hide in the back water area behind the entrance/exit of the lock and damb. When you leave the lock you might not realize it but they could be about 500 feet behind you when you bring it up on plain. Busted!

I did buy a set of muffler tips, but they didn't quite it down any.

It is kind-of fun knowing that big, bad a$$, bone stock, Scarab 22 has the whole state in an uproar, though:evilb:

In all seriousness, my next boat will have to have a legal and proven 84 dBA or less system.

BTW, I test at 86 - 88 dBA on Lake Minnetonka and 85 - 86 dBA on the river... kind-of thought the river cops would let it slide for a point or two because we are always 'Minnesota Nice'.

NoQuarter 02-01-2007 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2012329)
What exhaust do you have that "switches automatically"????

Not sure if 'automatically' is the right word to describe, but I have a Corsa 50/50 system. At idle, all the exhaust goes through the hull. After you plane out and a certain amount of back-pressure is acheived, a flap in the elbow direct part of the exhaust through the outdrive.

This system attempts to reduce the noise of the boat when running at higher RPMs.

Sydwayz 02-01-2007 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can always do this:

NoQuarter 02-01-2007 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2012389)
You can always do this:

LOL

Yes, I know. I always keep this option in the back of my mind; effective and smart, but sacrilegious. But probably still beats having your day split-up with a trip to the Sheriff station.

I've actually seen these on some of the boats at the river. The ones in this picture don't look so bad. Some that I've seen were Horrendous!

Thx!

US1 Fountain 02-01-2007 03:59 PM

Illegal here in IN also. Was once told by a CO he would give me a ticket if I was on his lake. He was a *****. I was just asking him info at a boat show. No one on 'his' lake was ever ticketed for this reason though.
Better off annoying the piss out of your marina neighbors at 2 am in the morning with your exhaust loud, according to the law. Can you simply disable the switch to be legal? That's was a way around the law from what I have been told.

wrinkleface 02-01-2007 04:40 PM

I believe it is also illegal here in Michigan 2 have a switchable exhaust! Don't understand it! They should appreciate boaters spend about 2 grand plus per engine 2 make it quieter!!!