most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp >

most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

Notices

most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

What about the guy that is waiting to back down and you are the guy behind him seeing that there is two spots you can back down. What do you do? I am talking about waiting 10 min. not a couple.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered

all the reasons above is why I have a slip
But I hate when a guy
back in at a 45 deg angle and takes up 3 spots on the ramp then pulls off his road cover,then start putting ice in his cooler grabbing towels and gear from his truck while still on the ramp.but alot of these guys dont know any better...at least thats what i tell myself
Old 02-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Or the impatient ones that just HAVE to start backing their trailer down the ramps and into the water BEFORE you have a chance to park the truck/trailer and get back to your boat If you needed to get into the water before me you should have got there sooner!!! i purposely wait idling my engines till they are nice and warm before i leave the docks when i run into these guys....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:43 PM
sandman
Gold Member

If someone is launching or recovering a boat by themselves, then a little assistance or a little patience is warranted. I've done it alone several times and it just takes longer.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Registered

I had that exact same thing happen to me at the New Buffalo ramp last year. Nobody was at any of the 6 ramps, I had my boat and trailer taking up two slots in the water ready to pull the boat onto the trailer. This 18' fishing boat comes pulling up. He rudely asks "How many ramps does it take for me to get my G-Dam boat out of the water?" (There are still 4 available) I said Two, How many does it take you, there's 4 open?! My wife was standing there and I made sure I told my wife how much of an AS%Hol% he was. He heard me and then he proceeded to tell me how his boat was paid for. (??????) He shut up when I told him I burned more gas that day than his boat was worth.

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
My boat is longer than the docks at Grand Haven so when I take boat back out I have to tie the boat up to one side of the dock and then go get the trailer and then back the trailer down the other side of the same dock or another. I can't back the trailer under the boat. When the ramps are busy sometimes I have a hard time geting an open dock before someone pulls another boat in. Some times someone starts to pull a boat in as I am backing down the ramp.
I have had to be a hard ass and just keep backing up. It is usually fishermen that are the worst.
I tell them they can have the dock that my boat is tied to but they still get pissed off sometimes. I just tell them to F off.
Sometimes you just have to be a jerk.

Last edited by dukenrock; 02-06-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by dukenrock
He shut up when I told him I burned more gas that day than his boat was worth.
LMAO i like that....i'll have to keep that in the back of my mind for "next time"

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Registered

I was just a spectator this past weekend at the ramps but one guy had the nads to wash down & flush while still on the ramp. Granted, the only fresh water hose outlet is right there near the ramp, but there was a parking spot he could've used and let the other boats coming/going use the ramp.

Most everything else I saw Saturday afternoon was hilarious. What started as "I just want to stop by on the way home" turned into an hour and a half of "how NOT to load your trailer boat". At one point I had to get up and walk away so they wouldn't see me laughing so hard. I gladly helped when asked, even offered once or twice, but some guys just can't be helped...
Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
sandman
Gold Member

My brother told me he goes down to the local lake some weekends and sits at the marina bar that overlooks the ramp and usually leaves when his sides are aching too much from laughing.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redcorvetteman3
What about the guy that is waiting to back down and you are the guy behind him seeing that there is two spots you can back down. What do you do? I am talking about waiting 10 min. not a couple.
A ramp we used to use was a good 6 lanes wide. Several times the person in front of me waits until 2 -3 side by side are open. Guess they are not comfortable in their backing skills. If it's busy with a line behind me, I have gone around them. If it's slow, I'll wait. Usually you get a good feel for the persons abilty. The women absolutely hate it because if they don't do it perfectly, husbands yell at them. I feel sorry for most and give them the benefit. I have helped more then my share of the women talking them down the ramp. Usally they are very grateful and their husbands never objected. Sometimes anything to keep the line moving. Calmness always prevails. It's always the men that are the ones loading and reading their boats once they get up front.

My wife can run circles around 1/2 the men at the ramp. I love it! The men hate it.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Registered

last summer I offered to give this guy a hand putting his boat on his trailer. he told me no that he has a system and can do it faster by himself I got to watch this guy almost get crushed between the boat and truck, his wife went over the windshield and their baby(mabe 5-6 mo old) flew off the engine cover when the boat came to a sudden fiberglass cracking stop. they all made it out ok just a few scrapes. he came in real fast then ran up through the open bow with the boat still running and in gear leaning out and tryed to catch the trailer as he fell over and out of the boat. I asked if everyone was ok then complimented him on his system

Quick Reply: most common boat ettiquette violations at the ramp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.